1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BLIZZARD?--whats? going to Happen Now?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Ole Tower, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

With Blizzard having been Bought Out--whats? going to Happen to Blizzard Now?? Any One Really Know? not just Rummors & here Say! as FACTS would be NICE! all i know! is I contacted Blizzard & their Customer Realations SUCK!--FACTS Any One! --Ole Tower--

2. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

This is an email From my Blizzard Rep.

Here is the story (as I know it) from Blizzard. First off, I believe them, as they are not just the child of the parent, that will be kicked out soon. Douglas Dynamics (Fisher and Western) bought Blizzard for the technology, patents and engineers on the winged products. I have been told that next year Western and Fisher will have the 810 plow in their colors too. Western is showing a plow called the "Wide Out" on their website, which is a lighter duty 810, but design-wise, a little different too (better / worse - I have no idea). They don't have specs on their site to compare, but essentially - the exact same thing. I guarantee you will see designs end up all the same in a few years, but they have reserved a few key things for the Blizzard name. 1 is the Speedwing - For the next number of years, it will be Blizzard only. 2 is the taper top edge of Blizzard straight plows. Design-wise they had announce that the straight blades were going to be the same as Western, and the Engineers said no. The taper top in the center is much better for airflow into the grill and a signature of Blizzard, so they will keep it like it is. The pumps / motors / controls / wiring I guarantee will change to something closer to the Western and Fisher (Production will be cheaper, and the 08 Fords are changing their trucks wiring designs, so changes will have to be made anyway to all brands - and the will not design and build 3 different harnesses, they will make 1). The undercarriages will be changing to a design that keeps the lightbar with the plow. This is an area where I see many changes over the next few years with the Blizzard line.

Bottom line - There are many changes coming down the line for all 3 manufacturers and I feel they will all end up very similar asthetically and mechanically. For some time to come, the straights and the Speedwings will be unique to Blizzard and thats where they will push their business. The 810 is still our most popular plow and I am sure it will continue to be. The only downside coming is that the new undercarriages starting next year will be different - meaning that if you bought a new plow next year, the plows you have will not fit on both trucks, it will only fit the truck with the new U/C and vice-a-versa. The only way Douglas Dynamics would folds is if they were bought out by another company. They have been in it too long to have the likes of buying a smaller company like Blizzard hurt their business in my opinion, but I have seen stranger things.

3. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

BLIZZARD--Whats? goingto happen Now?

Purpleanger519--Thanks for the INFO--I as an Ole Guy have seen many good things be Bought Out--I live in MAINE--FISHER Country--& I have had & Used Fishers for many yrs--Here noted to be the BEST?? until a Freind w/ a New Dodge 4X4 got Sick during a Storm last & asked ME if I*D plow His Customers & Mine w/ his Dodge --equipped w/ a Blizzard--Naturaly He being a close Freind I Agreed! & I plowed His Customers & Mine--In just over 1/2 the TIME it usually took ME to Do just Mine!--I noticed the Blizzard Rolled the Snow! instead of Pushing It & that Storm was Deeper than Usual--the Blizzard was a Lot Faster! & scrapped Better--& it seemed to Roll the Snow Out of the WAY?--the only Negitive thing I could See!-was the White back of the Blade--as I was Plowing at Night & the Lights Reflected Off IT & it was Harder on my Eyes!--I was very Impressed w/ His Blizzard--I asked HIM if He ever SOLD IT? to give ME first Option on Buying IT! several months latter as We chatted--Summer Time--He told ME He was NOT going to Plow any More & was trading In HIS Dodge 4X4 for a regular 2 WD --& He*d Sell Me His Blizzard--which I Galdy Bought!--I have a 96 Ford F-350 singel rear wheeled pick UP--I contacted Blizzard on Line in referance to purchasing the Frame Mounts & Push Beam--to install IT on my Ford--I was informed I*D have to Purchase a Complete New Plow & they included Prices!--from $3800 to $6500 --depending on Model? well that Soured Me Up! to say the least! Blizzards Customer relations leaved a Lot to be Desired!--my Opinion!--I wrote the Above Info on this Snow Site & I received a Post from a Plow installer in PA that had the Parts I needed! so I contacted HIM & sent Him the Money & My Parts are on the Way?--Me personally I being from the Ole School--I won*t BUY any FISHER nor WESTERN products any MORE!--OleTower--my WAY of Thanking Them for their Great Customer Realations!--enough SAID!

4. PLOWBOY50

PLOWBOY50 Junior Member

I am also in Maine and an ole school plowboy...always been a Fisher user till 4 years ago when I saw the 810 Blizzard ... It was like a plow I had always dreamt of...I bought one and soon realized it was the Best scraping ,stacking and time saving plow I had ever used.... I ahve been plowing for 25 years or so and now just plow a fairly large hospital with approx 4 acres of pavement ... we try to maintain bare pavement at all times and the hospital parking lots are never empty as we have three shifts...We also have a F350 with a 9' 2" boss V ... and a 94 gmc with 9' Fisher of the same vintage... this is a great backup truck... the straiught blade fisher is simplistic in desighn and easy to reapir at nioght and on sight with a few spare hoses and a belt...which brings me to my point.... the Blizzard was my absolute favorite plow of all time until it broke down... the dealer I bought it from in town stopped selling them ... and the closest dealer is an hour drive away....my buddies at the local truck equipment depot and shop repaired the plow and were amazed at how the engineering left a lot to be disirered when the plow needed repair...they actually had to use a four inch hole saw to cut into the slide box to access a hose fitting... then the wing on the left started acting bitchy and sometimes retracted and more often did not..soon the power hitch started acting up and after limping it through the rest of the season I took the 60 mile ride to the dealer to get it looked at...after $160 to diagnose the problem they quoted me $2k dollars to reoalace the valve manifld as they think it is cracked inside..My buddies from the local Truck equipment depot caled me to let me knwo they had the new Fisher exted a blade in and I should come ove and take a look at it... all I could say was
    WOW.. and HOLY CRAP when I saw how fast the wings exteded and retracted .. then I noticed the hose fittings for the wings were both at the base of the cylinder and easy access for removal of the wing for repair... the valve body was moved up on frame for easy access.. the Fisher trip edge is incorporated into the design as well ... Fisher really did their homework and it seems all the bugs of the Blizzard engineering have been addresssed... the only thing I am a bit leary of is the polly cutting edtge on the wings and a steel cutting edge on the main blade .. I am wondering if this will take away from the Blizzards amazing scraping ability... Anyway we bought the Fisher and we are going to try that this season.... Plow manufactures need to ralize we Plowboys are out all night plowing and absolutely need a plow in design that is user and repair friendly... that we can keep a few hoses on hand and a valve or two to replace if we need to on the run....wesport

5. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Blizzard? whats? going to Happen Now?

I DONO? I used a Blizzard & Liked IT--Bought One--OFF a Dodge & Now there are NO Blizzard Dealers here Any MORE!--I contacted Blizzard on the Internet--was Informed!--Frame & Push beam--NOT Available--have to BUY a New Complete Plow!--to ME! Blizzards Customer Realtions SUCK!--a highly prasied PA plow installer came to My Rescue--HE has the Parts I Need!--I contacted HIM--Sent HIM my Money--He contacted ME--He received my Money--Aug 13 th--Will SHIP Tommorrow--Aug 14 th--Today is the 24 th--I haven*t received my Parts to Date?--but Dono? How He Shipped Them??--UPS? FED-X? Truck Freight?--My Wifes giving ME a Hard Time! as WE got Burned before On Buying on the NET--but HE was Praised very Highy on this Snow Site!--So I*LL Wait a few more Days!--I*M Glad I*M NOT in SNOW Up to My BUTT!--I don*t consider myself as a Commerical Plower--as I Plow a Few Customers My Yard our Sons & a Few Elderly Shut Ins!--WE live in a Rual Area & most? of the Area Plowers PLow the Shut Ins Out as they Pass By!--On their Regular Routes--I DO Help at our Local Big Truck Garage--BIG YARD!--I usually after every Storm Plow as Far Back as I Can--as they really Don*t have the Time to Do That!--& they DO a lot of Things for ME--So I fugure? I*M still getting the Best Deal In Helping--a Realy Nice bunch of GUYS!--& Me Retired! & Re-Tarded? In Looking forward as to Blizzard Problems?--I don*t Think? I can have Any? they Can*t FIX?--as they DO some Wonderous things there--On Big Rigs!-- So TIME will Tell?--I*M still WAITING??--OleTower--

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  6. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Jim, didn't get them out last week . Had to take the son for some Dr's appointments. Dropped them off for shipment This Tuesday and they wouldn't take the package until I repacked it due to size. Went out in todays UPS shipment so you should have it by Monday. I made wiring notes for you on the headlight wiring but it's pretty simple to wire. Jerre

7. Jerre Heyer

Plowboy. You bought one of the older two cylinder in each wing design plows. Blizzard went to single cylinder in late 03/early 04 production and this is the design that Fisher/Western are now using. The latest blizzard design made service when necessary an easy task. As far as the hydraulic speeds the new Douglas Dynamics unit uses larger porting and valving ( remember it only took them 15 plus years to do this ) like the Blizzard engineers were working on changing to after several manifold and pump / motor combinations were tested out.

They are sacrificing a lot of strength and design though with there wing and slidebox design and you are right about the wing edges. Might want some spares.

Jerre

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Just call it a DDizzard:cool:

9. PLOWBOY50

PLOWBOY50 Junior Member

Hey Jerre... Yea I know the older Fishers were agonizingly slow .. used to put smaller pulleys on the pump to get that little bit extra ... it helped a little but with the small valving ect it couldnt work miracles... the early Fisher V's were also painfully slow... I havent committed to the Fisher exted a blade quite yet and am actually a bit concerned about the poly cutting edges on the wings ... I really feel this could take alot away from the plows ability to scrape cleanly.... I really like the 810 blizzard and certainly understand that engineering has to evolve somewhat by trial and error and I am sure the newer models have worked out some of the bugs as well ...I dint realizwe Blizzard had gone to the single cylinder wing .... I would certainly buy another Blizzard if I was close to a dealer with your reputation... Alot has to do with supply and avialability and of course parts availaility falls big into that catagory as well as someone to quickly repair when you have a breakdown...In my area ( I am only 60 miles from Rockland ) Fisher and Boss are the plows of choice for most ... when I bought my Chevy 2500 with 8.1 ltr and alison trans I specd it with the 810 Blizzard ... the guys at the bioggest car /truck dealership in town actuall said to me "I cant believe your putting a Blizzard on that truck.... why arent you putting a Boss on ?" They are also the local Boss dealer and they def didnt like my answer when I told them the Boss was a POS in my opinion...But that another story....
    So anyway Jerre my point was and question.. IS Blizzard going to be around for awaile..??? Is the new Blizzard more dependable and easirer to work on and diagnose?
    Thanks for any info forthcomming...
    Tony /// Plowboy50

10. Jerre Heyer

Tony, as far as how long they will be around? good question. Hopefully for quite a while. Honestly they have some plowing features that are found in no other plow. I still haven't found anything that scrapes as well. The features of the wings and there functions are hard to beat.

The single cyl design has pluses and mjnuses that's why we developed some of the changes that we did. As far as trouble shooting it really does not get much easier. 1 valve 1 function except for the power lower.

I've hung a lot and seen alot of things with the blizzards both straight blades and power plows. Honestly the changes that I'd like to see yet to come would be simple to incorporate at the MFG level.

Repairs on them are minimal unless major impact damage has happened.

I see more problems with the Fisher and Western V's and straight blades than I do with the Blizzards. What I like about the Blizzards was the speed that they reviewed and made changes to resolve issues with the products.

Parts availabilty for them is pretty good because unless you have a major structural issue UPS delivers and I know that you have dealers within an hour of you up there.

Just my .02

Jerre

11. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Jerre--I received the PARTS yesterday--Tuesday--UPS--the first words out of the Drivers Mouth--this weighs 160 Lbs--& One End of the BOX was Open--I helped Him lug out the BOX-- & Opened it w/ Him there--Both side Plates & Push Beam & the Receipt--but--NO WIRING INFO?--I assume? UPS--Kicked It around a Bit--as the entire BOX was a MESS!--so the Wiring INFO could have Fallen Out? NO Problem--I Got Them--THANKS! --JIM--

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Let me preface this: At this time, there is no plan of any sort to get rid of Blizzard plows by DD. Not to say things don't change, but they have no intention of offing the Blizzard line at this time. DD spent a significant amount of money upgrading the TN plant.

Also, the SpeedWing will stay exclusive to Blizzard.

Direct from DD's President.

13. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Once again

I think this is the third time I've posted this......
    Here is the story (as I know it) from Blizzard. First off, I believe them, as they are not just the child of the parent, that will be kicked out soon. Douglas Dynamics (Fisher and Western) bought Blizzard for the technology, patents and engineers on the winged products. I have been told that next year Western and Fisher will have the 810 plow in their colors too. Western is showing a plow called the "Wide Out" on their website, which is a lighter duty 810, but design-wise, a little different too (better / worse - I have no idea). They don't have specs on their site to compare, but essentially - the exact same thing. I guarantee you will see designs end up all the same in a few years, but they have reserved a few key things for the Blizzard name. 1 is the Speedwing - For the next number of years, it will be Blizzard only. 2 is the taper top edge of Blizzard straight plows. Design-wise they had announce that the straight blades were going to be the same as Western, and the Engineers said no. The taper top in the center is much better for airflow into the grill and a signature of Blizzard, so they will keep it like it is. The pumps / motors / controls / wiring I guarantee will change to something closer to the Western and Fisher (Production will be cheaper, and the 08 Fords are changing their trucks wiring designs, so changes will have to be made anyway to all brands - and the will not design and build 3 different harnesses, they will make 1). The undercarriages will be changing to a design that keeps the lightbar with the plow. This is an area where I see many changes over the next few years with the Blizzard line.

Bottom line - There are many changes coming down the line for all 3 manufacturers and I feel they will all end up very similar asthetically and mechanically. For some time to come, the straights and the Speedwings will be unique to Blizzard and thats where they will push their business. The 810 is still our most popular plow and I am sure it will continue to be. The only downside coming is that the new undercarriages starting next year will be different - meaning that if you bought a new plow next year, the plows you have will not fit on both trucks, it will only fit the truck with the new U/C and vice-a-versa. The only way Douglas Dynamics would folds is if they were bought out by another company. They have been in it too long to have the likes of buying a smaller company like Blizzard hurt their business in my opinion, but I have seen stranger things.