1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard vs Western

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by ry_rock, Oct 9, 2014.

1. ry_rock

ry_rock Senior Member

Narrowed my search down to the Blizzard 8100PP or the 86110LP...suggestions????
    either that or the western wideout

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

The Blizzard and Western are basically the same plow. Mounting system shares parts. The two big differences are chain vs direct lift (I prefer the direct), and larger slide boxes and metal cutting edges for the wings (again I prefer the Blizzard). Also the 86110lp is only available as blizzard. The real question you should ask is what dealer support is best?
  5. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

blizzard has more moving parts to lift blade and they tend to wear out after a couple yrs. I vote wide out. The western also has a higher lift height .
  6. lilweeds

Obviously you never used one. My 03 and 07 have never had the power hitch rebuilt.
  7. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Doesn't mean he hasn't used one. His could have wore out.
  8. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

keep in mind that the blizzard has a very low clearance because of the lift piston being horizontal and at the bottom.
    if you struck sits low you may want the chain lift.. my 2 cents.
    I do like the fact that the plow doesn't slap up and down over the railroad tracks like my western would with the chains.
  9. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I ran one for 9 yrs. Rebuilt power hitch two times . after a couple yrs you loose lift height. As for chain slap, you only get that if the plow is not all the way up driving down the road. ( western/ fishers have stops)
  10. lilweeds

I know the 05/06 models wore out, my 03 is 11 years old and still lifts great. To each there own, but the curve of the moldboard, the weaker wings and lighter cutting edge weight I'd stay Blizzard. Old Blizzard that is.
  11. scottr

scottr Senior Member

Just a comment, when I studied the wideout, one thing that jumped out at me was the center pivot, good concept, maybe, it looked like a real weak spot to me. Maybe if your always on pavement it would hold up? Time will tell.
  12. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

Ive been looking for a reason to swap over, have to mount an 810 on a 09 dodge . but want a mount on two trucks I have, its an old blade but I love it, was considering the wide out but need an power hitch 2, didn't like the idea of the plastic wing wear strips, the 810 wears out the wings of steel fast enough, even with welded on extra wear strips, wish I had some experience with the new wide outs as a local dealer would love to see me jump on board , as he has given me some great pricing on a new blade
  13. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

The big question here is which dealer you buy the plow at provides you better service.
    which one is closer, which one is open during storms?

everyone has their favorite brand and every plow has it's pro's and con's.

Me I'm a western guy, love the plow never had any major issues with, my shop is open during storms so if there is problem I can show up at 2am and get it fixed.

Also having plowed with a straight blade for 7 years I switched over to the MVP-3 last year and I love the V-plow. I will take a V over a straight any day.
    My two cents.