1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard vs. Snoway

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jbell36, Jul 7, 2010.

1. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

I recently found a 3 year old used blizzard 810 PP for $4000, looks to be in great condition...it comes with the brackets for an '08 f250 super duty which is what I have...my other option is to buy a snoway V with downpressure and a full warranty (brand new) which will cost more

back dragging is a big concern of mine considering I will be doing some driveways as well

I have seen that there is a downpressure mod for the blizzard, any thoughts on that?

2. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

It is a heavy blade period, you will not have any problems with back-dragging anything expect really hard pack.

3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

We all know my opinion :D

I'd go with the blizzard first but I'd go with a boss before I'd go with either one of those...

JMO - But The down pressure dosent make as big of a differance as you'd think

4. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

if it weren't for backdragging I would go with the boss, that is if I had to buy new...I will definitely have some driveways this year but hopefully some commercial as well, therefore I want to cover all the bases and it seems that a snoway V with downpressure does that, I seem to keep reading posts stating that downpressure does the best with backdragging hands down...I just saw this blizzard for sale so it got me thinking...still don't know what i'm gonna do

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

6. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

actually yes I have, and I've heard a lot of good things about it...it's definitely a possibility, i'm just looking at the long run and was thinking a vee would be the most versatile..thanks for the replies so far, any other input is appreciated

7. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

as a blizzard and boss owner, let me just say that if you see deep snow, you'll want a V blade before the blizzard.

as was said the blizzard is a heavy enough plow that backdragging is not a concern. it leaves our drives really clean. but we had several HEAVY snowfalls where trying to keep up with the storm we were still pushing 10+ inches. the blizzard would float over the snow trying to backdrag and pushing off to the sides just took to long.

so instead of having our three trucks each take care of their own route, me, in the 350 w/ boss VXT would go into the drives in V position and knock most of the snow off the sides. once that was done i just back dragged whatever remained and my brother piled the snow with the blizzard off the sides of the aprons.

we have 150+ residential drives and several commercial lots

8. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

It's an argument as old as time itself, but I'll add my two cents.

In my 10+ years of commercial snow removal, I have never felt that I HAD to have a v-plow in order to complete my work. I've always been able to plow with the storm and either scoop or windrow smaller bites to complete the job.

My vote is for the 810 and about 2K worth of ballast in the truck.

9. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

In my few years, there was one time I felt a v would have been great. It was a 2 foot storm, on a raised gravel drive, that hadn't been done once yet that year. I was screwed from the get go. They have their place, but for most of what we do, the blizzards would great.

10. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Well I can give my 2 cents.... We do mainly drives, some long, but mostly small and a few commercial lots. For the commercials, most of the time a wideout/blizzard would be the way to go. But when you are doing drives, I like a V. They are so versatile. If you get pushing to much snow, you can put it in V and punch through the pile. Then you can chip away at it. I honestly think that for a 1 man show, a V is probably your best bet. Although you may want to check out some other brands like Western or Boss.... Not to sure about Sno Way, but that's just from what I have heard.