1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard Vs Fisher

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Stone Mountain, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Stone Mountain

Stone Mountain Member

Now that Douglas has taken over Blizzard, I see that they have already ported over the hydraulic wings to Fisher and Western. I can get a new Fisher for about the same price as a Blizzard 8-10, and I like the lights and controls better. So, I'm thinking to switch from Blizzard to Fisher. I'm taking delivery of a new 08 F-250 this week, and I need a blade for it. I'm thinking to go with the Fisher.
    Any comments?
    Also, what are you Yanks paying for them? An 8-10 here is over $7000.00
  2. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

I just paid a little over $4900 for an 810 installed including tax.

I looked at the Wideout and XLS before purchasing the 810. Both seemed to have lighter weight hydraulics. I figured if DD bought Blizzard it was because they were doing something right. I wanted the original -- not the ones adapted to the two other companies who couldn't come up with the idea in the first place.
  3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

well said conoebuildah,

Stone why sould you break up a fleet? surely you have spare parts
  4. Stone Mountain

Stone Mountain Member

Spare parts? If it breaks during a storm, the dealer is open 24 hours for repairs. We have pins and fluid. What esle would I need?
    The ne thing I don't like is when a Blizzard breaks. Last year the arm underneath came apart, and we could not lift it to get the pin in. I had to get a tow truck in to lift the whole truck, and 3 of my other drivers so that we could ghet the arm positioned. And even them=n it drageed on the ground a bit.
  5. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Was this do to lack of maintenance ? Sounds like something loosened up and fell off.
    I would get the Fisher myself, at least when it goes down you can short chain it LOL. But no worries, DD promised they tested the piss out of the XLS this time :rolleyes:

Hoses, solenoids are a good thing to have in the parts kit.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Might want to check with some of the alpha or beta testers in Erie. Sounds like you also better have a heat rated glove for when the controller heats up in your hand. Might also want to invest in some ProWings for when the XLS goes into auto mode and you're left with a 7'11" XLS.

As for pricing, sounds like the Canadians get bent over on everything. Might be worth a trip across the border at those prices.
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Buy the Blizzard not the DDizzard.
  8. SnowDozers

SnowDozers Member

Hahahaha. That's wonderful.
  9. Mark Oomkes

Just the facts. ;) :nod:
  10. SnowDozers

SnowDozers Member

Is it shorter when not extended also?
  11. Mark Oomkes

Yup, only 9'11"

Apparently it was designed that way.
  12. Stone Mountain

Stone Mountain Member

I wound up getting a Fisher XLS. We bought a new 08-F-250 and after looking around a lot we decided on the Fisher. One thing very important was the chain. As much as we like the way the Blizzard mount- dismount system works, we've been cuaght 3 times with a system that broke with no way to get it up for transport. At least with a chain you can.
    Second, I really like the hand-held controller. I simply don't have time to play around making one.
    Third, I like the two extra buttons on the Fisher controller: one extends both wings at once, one retracts them at once.
    Finally: price. Absolutely none of the dealers here would go below $7500 for an 8-10, but I wound up getting the Fisher for $6900.oo Yes, I could have driven across the border to Buffalo and gotten it for $5900, but there is a warranty problem. Although I'm told the warranty is good here, in practice it's slightly different if you show up at a dealer at 3AM for a repair. Every dealer here makes no bones about the fact that they give preferential treatment to their own customers first. I can imagine sitting there for hours while others who arrived after me are able to go in before me! This has been going on for many years, and I have been both the victim and benefactor of that policy.
    In addition, I'd have to spend $200 in gas, food and a hotel for a night while getting the installation done. So the difference came down to $800.00. In the end I bought here.
    As an added bonus, the Ford dealer built the plow into the purchase price at 2.9% interest, so I didn't even have to pay out of my pocket!
    Thanks for your opinions, guys.
  13. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

Good luck with the XLS. You have some very valid reasons for buying it locally and getting a better price. I paid $300 more for mine to have it installed by a dealer 20 minutes away rather than a dealer 70 minutes away for that same convenience of support and buying locally.

The one thing I will point out is that the Blizzard can be "short chained" and transported if the hydraulics or electric fails. Drive the plow up on a bank and insert the pin that the dealer provides. This will hold the plow up for transport. If you don't have a snowbank handy (not very likely in plow season), you can jack it up and do the same.
  14. SMC

SMC Junior Member
    from Toronto

That thing with the pin doesn't always work. You would have to position it in such away for all the holes to line up, and sometimes the curbs at the property I was at weren't high enough. The Blizzard otherwise worked great for us, but not when it broke down.
  15. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry to dump on a fellow Fisher guy (we're a unified group, ya know!?!), but your good deal isn't quite as good when you consider the cost of financing it comes in no less than $230. Small price to pay? Maybe, but it can't be overlooked!
  16. Stone Mountain

Stone Mountain Member

This is one of the main reasons I got the Fisher.
    Second plow with our first Fisher. The blade went down, and I had no idea what to do: we didn't get a manual(dealer told me i didn't need one). After being walked through the procedure by cell phone, it tunred out they had forgotten to give me the third pin. Had to wait 4 hours till they drove out to give me a pin.

Last season one of our blades quit in the middle of the night. The arm undeneath became disconnected, and no matter what we did I couldn't get the pin in . I called a tow truck, which lifted my truck up, then we put 2 lengths of 4x4 under the blade, which was now 3 feet above the pavement. Then we lowered the truck till the holes lined up. Then I had to limp to the dealer to get it fixed. If someone had recorded us and put it on Youtube, we'd have looked like the 3 Stooges.

At least with a Fisher, you've got the chain to hike it up so you can drive.

Anyway, we got to plow last week. The Fisher is MUCH better than the Blizzard. The controller is much easier to use (It didn't heat up in use at all), the trip edge is better, the lights are better.
    During the storm, 2 of my 5 Blizzards went down. They are only 2 seasons old. At this point, every single one of my 5 Blizzards have had to be repaired, a couple of them more than once. As much as I liked using them, I will probably not be buying any more.
  17. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

there is only one FISHER. :D
  18. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Not trying to convince you one way or the other, on what plow to run, but it sounds like you are not being very resourceful. I would never wait 4 hours for a stinkin pin, a multitude of other things would work as well, tire iron, bolt, etc. for emergency transport. Same thing with the jack. Do you carry any tools/parts? For running 5 blizzards, I would think you would at least have a few things around to keep up and running.

Hope your Fisher treats you well.
  19. Theo Epstein

Theo Epstein Member

You've pretty much killed this thread Stone Mountain! Giving verifiable facts and evidence about feature content that makes you like the XLS better than the Blizzard version, while also owning 5 Blizzard's. Pretty much took the wind out of all of their sail's. They'll be running from this thread just as fast as they can!
  20. Mark Oomkes

You waited 4 hours for a pin? Surely you jest? :jester: Did you consider just driving the dang thing back to your shop with the plow down? Why did you have to short pin it anyways? What was the problem?

The only issues I have had with my Blizzards has been blowing fuses because of ice in the plug. One went down after hitting a curb and destroying the truck side frame and doing nothing to the plow.

I have 8, although 2 are new to me this year, but one of them has several seasons on it, actually is serial #3 of the LoPros. And have had next to no problems.

Pretty gutsy to say that after one plow, you're ready to throw in the towel and go all Fisher. JMO