1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard VS Boss

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BallzeeOne, Jun 24, 2014.

1. BallzeeOne

BallzeeOne Junior Member

I want real world feedback on Blizzard vs Boss. Pros and Cons of either brand are helpful as I am making my decision at the end of the month and want to make sure I get a good deal from my local dealer.

I am not comparing features because those are on the websites, but I am comparing some real world feedback on what you all think as professionals.

I realize every plow can break and the best plow is one that doesn't break down!! What I'm looking for is -- Hey i owned a Boss for 4 years and routinely maintained it and the only break down I had was caused by me hitting a parking barricade and breaking cutting edge or I had a Blizzard and thought I'd like the sealed/ shielded pump assembly but what I found is that its really hard to work with.

Either unit will be used in relatively flat- black top commercial lots and 2 condo complexes, plus a few Residentials for quick gas money. I would appreciate any real world feedback as to the performance of the plow relative to your truck...

Appreciate the guidance
  2. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

They both are good. Do you have alot of obstacles in your commercial lots or is it wide open. I have a boss vxt and haven't had any major problems. I would say that a trip edge would be a good idea. The blizzard is heavier but is a great plow also. Which plow models are you lookig at?
  3. BallzeeOne

BallzeeOne Junior Member

I have a few Fast Food spots and 2 commercial spots with parking barricades (not open 24 hours) then 2 Condo Complexes. So not many obstacles just stupid people!! I am pushing with a 2014 Silverado 1500HD

Looking at the 760SW Speedwing Blizzard and the HD 7.6" Boss.
  4. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Don't know a thing about Blizzard,
    I have 2 BOSS V Plows 7'6" and a 8'2" Both have wings on them - 2005 and 2010
    Besides wear items I have only replaced one smart lock ram that would stick and not let the wing come back.
    That is it, just keep going and going
  5. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I have no experience with blizzard so I can't say anything good or bad about them. But I do own several Boss plows and love everyone of them. Go talk to Terry's Truck and Trailer in North Canton....Ryan, Gene or Terry all great guys and very knowledgeable on Boss plows. Also service is second to none. Open round the clock when it's snowing. PM me with any more questions
  6. BallzeeOne

BallzeeOne Junior Member

How much of what you all feel relative to Boss plows is because someone sold you on the Features and Benefits or that other plows just dont add up to what the boss is... Let me ask that a different way - The 56' Yankees arent the 56' Yankees without the murderers row so what makes Boss plows the best... From a maintenance perspective have any of you been nickle and dimed from minor repairs??

Bossman- I have called Terry's and they are very knowledgeable and very fair in pricing as well. But they are so partial to Boss plows its hard to take what they say about other brands as fact or hyperbole... Either way I go from what I have read both plows are good and will do the job!
  7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Have you looked at both plows first hand and talked with the dealers? Asking for opinions on both is a typical shooting match around here.
    Do your own homework, kick some tries and come to your own conclusion......with generally comes down to closest dealer...nicest dealer.....etc...
    And if you really wanted to be picky,,,,predd blizzard and dd blizzard reviews vers Boss
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  8. BallzeeOne

BallzeeOne Junior Member

I have been kicking the tires for a while now and your right, the service part is the biggest concern!. Can the better dealer get me up running faster - that makes sense.

Its so hard getting a non-biased opinion though and that's why I reached out on Plow Site. In hopes of getting some real world feedback on what people have used and repaired in their experiences.
  9. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I have experience with blizzards. But not boss. Honestly I wouldn't buy either one. I'm not a fan of power attach on either one of them
  10. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Certain snow storms at times I wish I could use the features of both. I always try to get close to curbs and trying to fit through certain obstacles. Sometimes it's a tight squeeze and I'm banging against a curb. I hear that's bad for sliding parts. But once your past the obstacles and wide open a speedwing would be nice. I've made some windrows and piles waiting for a loader to come and when he can't I have to move it. Sometimes when I'm in straight position I can't move it. So I go to a v or scoop and it's fine. Like I said before I like then both. They both will have their areas where they shine.
  11. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I have had both blizzard and boss. They both have their benefits and their drawbacks. I have no experience with the smaller of either brands. I have an 810 and 8611 lp blizzards. They are both great plows, but both are older, and I have heard the newer ones are not as good. I had a couple of boss 9'2" V plows, and they also were great plows. The differences I noticed were that (for me) the blizzards scraped better than the boss, but the boss stacked higher than the blizzards. My plows are on one ton fords and one ton chevy. For the bigger plows, prices and weight are similar, at least in my area. Hope this helps. Good luck with whatever you choose.
  12. BallzeeOne

BallzeeOne Junior Member

BOOM!! Thats what Im looking for!!

So the Boss units stack higher due to the front mounted ram that allows it to raise it higher than other units. That said, does that create issue with Plow or need frequent servicing. While the Blizz cleans better.

In Backdragging situations plow weight means everything as well as a good cutting edge. Does either of these units perform better or is it still really dependent on the VOLUME of snow.

I agree that certain storms call for different equipment, being that I looking for the smaller plows for a 1/2 ton truck my options are lower hang weight on the front of the truck which will limit my options. Really appreciate it all - this is a good discussion.
  13. BallzeeOne

BallzeeOne Junior Member

Whiffy- What would you look into then if your not into the power attach systems?
  14. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have no problems with the Boss power attach,
    Now the old way was a pain.
  15. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I thing the 2 your looking at would be close to the same at backdragging. I think the blizzard would ride up a pile easier initially. The Boss straight plow you might have to hit the button to raise it up when you get to a pile if it's lighter snow.
  16. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Western or Meyer

Dd owns fisher western and blizzard.

Boss is on their own as well as Meyer
  17. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Go to the dealer and have them mount the plow on the shop truck and compare your likes and dislikes. If they can't be bothered, you'll know what their service will be like when you need them most. I own a VXT , but understand they are both only as good as the dealer you purchase them from.
  18. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Backdragging a "light weight plow" is gunna be horrible. My 1000lb 810 rides up when theres enough snow under it.
    And the "v's" stack higher in general.
    And there are times you don't want a "speedwing". The ends always curled in can hurt in clearing near curbs.
  19. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Not getting into the brand wars. But a Speedwing is going to be far more efficient than a straight blade. You're comparing apples to oranges.
  20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Why down pressure is a nice option.:nod: Of course if there are no snoway dealers close to you that is a moot point.

The Blizzard offers an 8 ft option for a half ton truck. If all other things are equal, I was comfortable with both dealers and was limiting my choices to the Boss or Blizzard the 8 ft Blizzard would be my choice for a half ton truck.