1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard vs. Boss V?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by erkoehler, Oct 26, 2008.

1. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Planning on picking up a plow this week for my 2001 2500hd 6.0L crew cab truck. I was pretty well set on getting a Boss 8ft 2in V plow, but recently I have seen a lot of pics/threads supporting the blizzard plows.

From what I can tell on the Blizzard site I would be looking at a 860 speed wing or a 810 power plow? How would these plows work on my truck? Anyone have any first hand experience?

How would you guys compare a V plow to the blizzards? Which would be better suited for commercial plowing?

2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I never ran a blizzard but thats probably the only other plow id run other than a snoway V.

3. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

I have a fisher v and several blizzards. They both have their advantages, depends on what you want to do. If you are doing lots of large areas, blizzard hands down. I do some sites that are any about 45 min for one truck and have some obstilces and there is no advantage for the blizzard. I like fisher and blizzard (have owned western and boss, both good just not my cup of tea) and if I had to choose one of the other blizzard is it!

4. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Well, I currently have both (860 SW & Boss 9.2 V), and last year I did a side-by-side comparison of both, on very similar trucks,... go to this link & check it out & see what you think,... depending on your situation, both are good choices,... good luck! :salute:

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=53345

5. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

and here comes the brand war:realmad:

lol its like asking chevy VS ford in this place

my vote chevy and boss lol

6. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

Blizzard 810 or a Western Wideout would work great on that truck. I have two Blizzard 810's and one 8611 My next plow will be a western wideout. Nothing against my Blizzards just would like to try the wideout.

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you have commercial lots that are open and wide then the Blizzard might be the better choice. To move the snow across the lot you can take a bigger bite with the Blizzard because of the wing position. If you have small lots with a lot of obsticales then the V blade might have a bit of an advantage. I have a V blade with wings and it works well in both these situations. The downside is the plow is wide running down the road.

I don't think you could go wrong with either choice but a 860 Speedwing would work well and is lighter then a 810 or the V blade. I'm driving a dually so the Speedwing is out of the question but after seeing Alaskaboss's pictures it looks very possible. I wish they made a 960.

8. erkoehler

Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming! :)

9. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

I buy Boss just because the 8 months out of the year we aren't plowing I get to drive around with a sticker on my plow mount that says "THE BOSS"! prsport

10. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

I like you're thinking.

11. MRUSSELL

MRUSSELL Member

2 entirely different plows all together one is a v and the other is not if you dont have the need to put the plow in the v position or scoop position then get the blizzard but i have found it handy to have the v plow

12. erkoehler

The blizzards have the scoop position, but the do not have the "V" position.

13. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You realy should look at Fishers but if you don't want a Fisher get a Boss you se more Boss plows than Blizards for a reason. But you can't beat a Fisher.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Really? Hmm, I've found them to be a rather tough plow in my experiences.

But ok if you say they can't take abuse then I suppose I'll look at plow equipment that the other plow manufactures have to offer. I already know not to buy a Ranger. Thanks for the heads up. :salute:

15. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

You really cant buy a Fisher in these parts. There are less than 5 dealers in the entire state and none of them are close to us. There are 32 Boss dealers in our county however.

16. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

I am in Milwaukee, Westerns are made here and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Western dealer. With that said, about half the plows I see here are Boss, probably 30% Western, and the remaining 20% are other manufacturers. Hardly see any blizzards at all, don't know if they have dealers here though. Never had a problem with boss, and the best compliment I can give is I plan on buying another.

17. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I love my Blizzard and wouldn't buy anything else. That being said what are you using it for?

18. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

If you are doing commercial lots the 810 is a better choice. I have a Boss 9.2 and a Blizzard 810 and 8611. A Boss 8.2 will not carry near as much snow as the 810. If your truck can handle the weight of the 810 I wouldnt even consider a V plow less than 9 ft. If you do any drifted in roads ( 2 ft or more) a V plow is the better choice.

19. erkoehler

Commercial plowing and the rare driveway (my own). I will be sub contracting.

20. erkoehler

I have tightened up the t-bars and will be adding timbrens to the front.