1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard v Fisher????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nhplowboy, Dec 15, 2003.

1. nhplowboy

nhplowboy Junior Member

Local dealer has low price for a Blizzard, which I've never heard of. Fisher seems to be the most popular brand here in NH. Is Blizzard any good? I'm a rookie, obviously.

2. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

alot of people on here talk bad about blizzards, but if you want to get in the business to make money, that is the only plow i would buy. i own two and will probably buy 2 more this year. like i've said before, if you like spending all night plowing, go with the straight blade, if you like getting done and moving to the next account(i.e. more money) go with the blizzard.

3. DERANGER

DERANGER Junior Member

I have had both and love my blizzard way better. Much easier to put on and take off. Maintanence is easy repairs are none. Im sure others will argue but from expirence go BLIZZARD.By the way what is this going on????

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

are you talking one of thier nifty power scoop plows or a straight blade? if its a power scoop then they have redesigned em and it may be an older modle and hence why the price is cheap.

I will say that my fisher MM2 is a cinch to take off and put on and it ussualy takes me longer to hook up the wires then to to the actual attaching or detaching of the plow. Havent used a blizzard though so I cant compare.

Its like asking "should I buy a ford or chevy?" there are plenty of oppinions and some people feel the need to "validate" thier purchase and loyalty to a brand. I dont care, what ever works the best and that is always changing(except Chevy always stays on top :p LOL)

5. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I'm a Fisher guy but the Blizzard looks good and I hear guys love them. Good luck with your choice and HAPPY PLOWING!!!:cool:

6. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I'm assuming your comparing a Fisher V to a Blizzard power scoop because you can't compare the Blizzard to a straight blade.If your doing parking lots or accounts with open areas the Blizzard is the weapon of choice,but,if your doing residentials on steep terrain i give the edge to the Fisher V.
    Both plows are excellent pieces of equipment and have their advantages,you need to recognize what kind of plowing you'll be doing is all.

7. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

I too have always been a Fisher man (except for a 1997 that came from the dealer w/ a Western Uni Mount). I'm currently running an 8' Fisher MM2 and, like the other Fishers I've owned, it works great, is a breeze to hook up and take off and performs flawlessly every time I take it out. However, lately I've been seriously considering upgrading to a Blizzard 810. No problems at all with the Fisher and it completely suits my needs, it's just that I plan to focus more on commercial plowing in the future and I think the Blizzard may the way to go. Either way, I think you'd be more than happy with either set-up. Good luck.

Ryan

8. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

blizzard vs power V

I currtenly own a boss 9'2'' power v I am very satisfied with I'ts performance. Been running 5 yrs. with no problems mechiancly. My guestion is why or under what circumstances would the Bliizzard out do a power v with the option of a scoop to v? ( really don't know!)
    Nailit:confused:

9. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

In the scoop position, you have the ability to move your snow around obsticles. With a vee in the scoop position you do not have the ability to move the snow around obsticles, it just rolls off the wings when turning the vehicle. You can not hydroturn with a BOSS,FISHER,WESTERN,or MEYER vee's.

With that said, the ability to do this with a BLIZZARD 810 will save you time, and the old saying says, "TIME IS MONEY"!!!!

With the BLIZZARD straight blades. They have an extended moldboard to help roll the snow off the blade faster. Look when you are plowing, the snow only rolls on the ends of the plow.

When the moldboard is extenteded, you can carry more snow at one time than the coventional straight blade.

Just my 2 pennies. GET WIDE !! GET BLIZZARD !!!

10. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

With the Blizzard in the scoop position I assume the blade is the straight not angled so how far can you travel before snow either spils off the sides or creates a new mountain in the center of your parking lot?
    Nailit:confused:

11. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Considering I carried snow in-between two parked cars and took a right hand turn around another parked car then a left hand turn to dump the snow this morning with a Fisher V in the scoop position I tend to disagree with this statement.

I agree with Arc Burn. They are two different tools for snow removal and each has its niche.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2003
  12. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

Blizzard vs VI ke

I keep hearing "Time is Money"
    The price of a new plow ( opp $3800) Just to find out that your old plow worked better! How about " Hast makes waste"
    Nailit.::nono:

13. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

If you want a dependable plow get a Fisher. When I saw the Blizzard plow, I wasn't impressed with its features. I also like the fisher trip than a full blade trip IMO. If you need scoop feature then get a V. It will give more benefits over the Blizzard.

14. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

I have been a loyal Fisher user since the early ninties. Have seen the Blizzard at trade shows and operated on last storm and they are great. One concern I had was the color of the moldboard white. I think visibility in a good storm might be tough when you are putting the white blade on the white powder especially when stacking near an obstacle. Through out my years of plowing the old fisher yellow paint lets you know were you are during stacking process. I am thinking my next set up will be chevy 2500hd with 8' fisher xblade, tremendous angle in the mold board for blowing snow way out of the way at a good speed. Also the no rust deal appeals to me, I don't mind painting my 96 minute mount every spring because no one believes it is a 96, tremendous shape. Enough babble all modern plows seem very strong it is the operator who generally messes them up.

15. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

like was said before, "time is money". if your main concern is getting in and out of an account quickly and moving on to the next one the most productive way possible, go with the blizzard 810. this is my second year using a blizzard and i cant imagine taking a step backwards and going back to a straight blade or a v for that matter. we actually added another blizzard to my partners truck that had a 9.5 fisher v and mounted that plow on another truck. he says the blizzard is definatly faster and that the only thing the fisher v could do better was stack snow higher. i dont know about your area but here in southern PA we generally dont have mountains of snow to stack. where the blizzard really shines is windrowing. with the wing out and forward you can take a full 10' blade every pass without trailoff. try that with your v blade. we currently run 7 plow trucks, 2 more to soon be added, during every event and within a few years they will all be switched over to blizzards. the only reason i would not consider a blizzard, or any other brand for that matter would be the avail of parts. the dealers are becoming more prevelant and in a few years i think all the critics of the blizzard will soon join the "bandwagon".;)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2003
  16. bluenite608

bluenite608 Member

I HAVE PLOWED WITH WESTERNS AND MEYERS AND JUST LAST YEAR PURCHASED MY FIRST BLIZZARD PLOW. I HAVE THE 800 STRAIGHT BLADE AND THOUGH I CAN NOT SAY MUCH ABOUT THE WINGS,.....YET,........... I CAN SAY THAT THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE PLOW IS EXCELLENT AND HEAVY DUTY. ALSO THE HOOKING UP OF THE PLOW IS VERY EASY AND THE POSITIVE ALIGNMENT TAKES THE PLACE OF HAVING TO MUSCLE THE PLOW AROUND TO HOOK IT UP. I AM CURRENTLY THE ONLY ONE ON LONG ISLAND TO HAVE ONE AND I AM NOW A SALESMAN FOR TRI STATE EQUIPMENT. WHEN I HAVE MY PLOW ON MY TRUCK IT ATTRACTS A LOT OF ATTENTION AND IT GETS A LOT OF POSITIVE COMMENTS FROM ALL TYRES OF PLOW OPERATORS. I HAVE SOLD A FEW AND NOTHING BUT GOOD FEEDBACK. GOOD LUCK IN YOUR CHOICE!!!