1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard Update #1

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John Allin, Nov 23, 2002.

1. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Got 6" of mashed potatoe snow that started at 3 PM yesterday and quit at midnight. Our 810 went a full half hour, and then quit. Dead in the water. No go. Nada.

My guy (Area Supervisor) was burned up big time - to say the very least.

That's the bad news......

Good news is that he called our dealer (Jerre Heyer) and Jerry promply (like, within a half hour) delivered a brand new plow.... to the site. Granted, it was an 8611 (I think) and somewhat larger than we would have liked, but it got us through the storm. Don't know what's wrong with our's, but we'll probably get it back fixed on Monday.....

Can you just imagine the reaction had we not had a good dealer close by......??

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Sorry to here that about the plow on the first run out.But that is why i would like to see alot of dealers or more parts places for plows and sanders ,lets face it they never brake down durring good weather lol only in bad .So when your dead in the water it's good to know that you have support close by and not a n 1 hour ride away.That's the only thing about my diamond that is good there is a dealer close by pluse parts a readaly avilable.I asked JD how he like his fisher said he would recomend it but, the dealer thing not any close by to us. Well I hope that the Blizzard people get more dealers out there.

3. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

That is what I call dealer support ! Kudos to Jerry

Bummer on the plow going down,must be that guy Murphy and his darn laws :eek:

Again, that is why you buy from a dealer who is willing to go that extra step for you.I bet it eased JAA's pain a little knowing Jerry was on his way with a new plow.

I am guessing you won't have to wait long to give it another shot !

4. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Good service support, I don't know any dealer around these parts that would deliver a new plow, period. You've all heard the saying, bring it in and will take a look at it. I wonder if blizzard would bring me out a new plow from 8 hours away, I don't think so!!

I think I will hold off on buying a blizzard plow for now.

Let it snow!!!

CGB

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I think being John Allin does count for something.

6. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

That sort of service is why we've stayed with Sno-Way exclusively. I've gotten our dealer out of bed to get me parts. If he can get to his shop before I can he'll put the part I need outside the door and when it has been warranty work and not a real quick fix he gives me the option of buckling up to another plow.

7. John Allin

Fireman -
    Oh... I don't know about that.....

But, my purpose for the update was not to bash Blizzard plows.... hell, anything could have been wrong with the plow. And, I'd venture to guess it's a loose wire or bad connection or some such thing. That's understandable....

My purpose for the update was to lay praise upon the Blizzard dealer. My local Boss dealer sure wouldn't do what Jerre did, and the other dealers don't have after hours phone numbers - so if we were going to have such in inconvient problem, having a great dealer is the key to success. And, I suspect that my dealer would have done the same for any of his customers - and not just for "John Allin"..... (which is how it should be, from my view point).

Last edited: Nov 23, 2002
  8. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Not Bashing Blizzard -- Good Dealer or Looking for more sales

Jerry did right my sending a new plow out but why not another 810 ?? I know any plow is better than none so he either had that one as a demo or ready to install. I guess he didn't want to send another 810 & have it die to. :rolleyes:

And I too agree not to many others do or will get service like John Allin ;) but when your that big you get the extra mile help. Blizzard wants to get John's BIZ & if it were me I to would go the extra mile & then some.:waving:

John I hope you have good luck with the 810- Blizzard's as I think they will be a very good plow. Plus with Blizzard wanting you to buy more 810's maybe they will work even harder to fix all the little problems faster.

9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Yes I would hope that be what would happen quick fast service.And plenty of dealer suport even after hours.Bec ause plows don't break during business hours only;)

10. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

CT18fireman - Yeah, membership has its privilages (just kidding).

It's very rare when a dealer brings a plow to you. I think Blizzard know's what can happen, good or bad, with JAA company's as a client.

Let it snow!!!

CGB

11. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I don't care what business you are in, when you have someone that has A) the buying power and B) the influence on so many people in one industry, one would have to be a fool not to take care of someone like John Allin.

He puts his pant on one leg at a time just like I do, but I'll guarantee whether right, wrong, or indifferent, he gets better service, on average.

If you have a lot that nets you $2000 per push or one that nets $50 per push, who gets priority? All other things being equal, the $2000 lot does if you have any business sense whatsoever. I'm not saying you give the $50 guy bad service, but money talks.

12. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

View from the dealers end of the story

Lots of chuckles went out with Jerry ( John's driver ) using the 810 and it quit working.
    He did the same thing all my customers do. Pick up the phone and call............That's Western, Meyers, Boss, Fisher, Sno-Way, Curtis and yes over 150 Blizzard owners do when they have a problem. It can range from a simple blown fuse to a busted off the truck plow. We see it all and try to get everyone back up and running. You see we sell BLIZZARDS and WESTERN ( on occasion now ) as new blades and service all brands. It means lots of parts and some long hours in a storm. Plenty of phone time and lots and lots of coffee.
    That's what we do though...Snow removal equipment. We try to put the best products into the market so customers can do there job of moving snow. Down time is bad for everyone and we try to get everyone back up and running asap.

Have I ever taken a customer a plow before.... Yes many times, as a Western dealer and as a BLIZZARD dealer alike. I also try to have a blade available for use while there plow is being repaired.

Why did I take him an 8611 plow..........Easy........That was what was hanging on my F350 and all of the 810's except for one I was putting on a truck and the ones being assembled were already in use.

Yes John is an important customer but so is everyone else to me.

John was not the first in the area to try a BLIZZARD power plow.

That honor goes to a man in RIPLEY, NY who has plowed snow since John was a kid. He plowed 2 seasons without any problems and has just retired due to health reasons at 60+ and sold his plow to a guy who couldn't be happier with the perfomance of a 3 yr old blade.

I think the most plows goes to a guy with 6 in his fleet of owned and subcontractors. Funny thing is that last year I tightened a couple of hoses, Replaced fluid and watched them move a lot of snow and that was about it for that crew.

The diagnosis on John's plow problem was this.

Stuck valve on 1 wing's extend function causing pressure to build there and not allow the plow to lift all the way.

Plow would still angle both directions and the other wing functioned fully.

Repair time 15 min. Diagnose, clean and replace valve.

Haven't seen the problem before ( all dealers say this HA! HA! )
    but this is the first one to do this in my area I'm here to make a living so why lie.

Had driver check all he could do in the field and then made the decision to retrieve and repair the plow.

Area supervisor was able to pick up the plow later that evening but plowed the rest of the storm with the 8611 and picked up the 810 the next day.

Next storm due soon so I'm sure more updates will follow.

JAA hope the lights stay on for the next one. Having all the power out on upper peach street and the 3 mall's at the same time made for major grid lock and lots of fun in the wet snow.

Let the white stuff fall the Polaris is ready to run.

Jerre

13. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

i bought a blizzard 810 last season (end of january) and have yet to get any plowable snow to try it out. i would hope that Jerre Heyer is the standard for the type of dealer that blizzard is using to be a representative of blizzard by selling their plows. i have a fear that the local dealer where i bought my plow is not going to be so "concerned" at 3 am when/if the plow goes down. i think it would be in blizzards best interest to require their dealers to offer this type of service and support to every blizzard owner not just "John Allin". maybe not delivery of a brand new unit to the site but at least 24 hr avail. for parts, that is IF they want to become a positive name in the snowplowing industry. i think if blizzard ever has a chance at becoming a name like "meyer" or "western" this is exactly what their dealers need to be doing. blizzard without a doubt has the best new idea in the snowplowing industry thats come along in the past few years, lets just hope they are smart enought to capitalize on it, only time will tell. just remember the best advertising, good or bad, is word of mouth (and plowsite of course) and best of all its free. kudos to Jerre for being an outstanding dealer, this ones for you Jeere :drinkup: .

Last edited: Nov 24, 2002
  14. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

First off, sorry to Jerre Heyer for misspelling your name.

I think White=Green is on to something about Blizzard having their dealers open during storms or at least on call. This would definitely raise the Bar in the industry.

15. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I have to agree with the last two posts. If you cannot offer (at least) 24 hour on-call service, you should not be allowed to sell a plow! I love the fact that every dealer in this market will talk til they are blue in the face about going out of town and their lack of willingness to service you if you don't buy from them. Then, if you do buy from them, they don't offer SQUAT if it isn't 9-5 Mon-Fri.

Needless to say, I buy my equipment where it is cheapest. I normally don't like my customers to make their buying decisions based on price. However, we offer better service, quicker turn around times and quicker response times than the average contractor in our market. When a supplier can offer me the same, I will become loyal to them. Until then, price is king.

16. John Allin

Thanks for your help Jerre.....

As for all the power going out on upper Peach Street.... it DID help clear out the lots at 8PM so we could just continue on and plow everything instead of just the restaurants and the runways in the retail sites. I didn't see it first hand like you did, but anyone that didn't know the back roads sat there for hours waiting for the cops to replace the street lights for some direction. All our plowers got home by 3 AM and that saved Saturday.

Felt bad for all the malls and plazas up there though.... talk about lost revenues.

As for getting "special service" simply because of who I am - I suppose that does happen when I'm buying product(s) on a national basis - however, Jerre will only sell me plows for the Erie area. We'll probably not purchase Blizzards from him for CT, NY, WI, MI, NJ, DE or any of the other 27 states we currently work in. So, Jerre's service to us was not a result of any directive from Blizzard. It's the way he does business. Again, kudos to Jerre for being an astute businessman.

17. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I think SnoJob67 just voiced the ultimate irony. How many times have you "shopped around" for the best price, then justify charging more than others in your market by "being better" than them? I've noticed many times that people buy a particular brand (plow, marker, fluid etc) based on price ("I'm not paying $8 quart, even though it might be better than ATF").

Like the last customer I talked to said "I just want the snow moved".

18. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Service is somewhat based on importance implied.
    here is what I mean, in Eries local, they get alot of snow over a long period of time, so they plow alot, it is an important part of the economy, and provides plowers and dealers a decent means of living if not a very good means of living for others. So those dealers know the importance of good service. In my area, and other areas that do not see as much snow, the dealers will be alot more lax in getting up at all hours of the night to help with a stuck valve. As far as a back plow to let you use while yours is being fixed, no way no how. It is up to us to have the back up plow.
    Here snow is percieved more as a nusiance, rather than a way of life. With the last few winters also being so mild, the dealers havent sold alot of new equip either, so they are even less likely to go out of their way.
    Dino

19. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Very good Dealer Jerre

I called 3 area Dealers to see what they would do if it was a 1 man show biz & all 3 said they would have him bring in the plow in the morning. Note none offer 24/7 service.

Now I asked them if the just sold 6 new plows to a Very Large Co. with the buying power to buy alot more plows nationwide ( but not all from you) what would they do & all 3 said they would do the same as Jerre.

Im not trying to fan the flame but in my own Biz I take care of the top Dogs faster because they make me alot more $$$$$$$.

Anyhow I think Jerre did the right thing & must be a VERY GOOD DEALER, I don't have a plow dealer who is 24/7 in my area.:waving: :waving: :waving:

And any & all types of Plows can have trouble, my chuckle was because I had posted the day before that 2 guys I know had trouble with their 810's.

20. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

7 a.m. wake up call...

O.K. Haven't been on line for several day's so I've missed all the discussion. Here's my scoop

Last Friday---Got up 6a.m ate breakfast and enjoyed a nice moring. No rain. 10a.m. Snow starts with rain and continues- Phone ring's off hook all day both lines. Try to explain to a guy why I couldn't install a plow on his truck today when he just realized it was going to snow and thought he'd try to make some money. Explained that had full scheduld of installs from guys who thought of that last week. He could get on on next Tue. He's discusted and will probably call another dealer and get a plow but insists he reall want's a BLIZZARD.

By 4:00 there's 4-6in of crap on the ground. Not quite slush and not quite snow. Am busy installing and repairing plow's. Get a call from a ( ONE MAN BAND ) with a 3yr old Western that tore off the blade from the quadrant. Have him limp it in. Take his info and send him out with a trade in Western unimount that fit's his truck ( last one on the lot ) guy standing there wanting to buy it. Told guy would still sell the plow to him because it is already used and will be serviced before he get's it.

Get call from Jerry about JAA' Blizzard plow -- Go through trouble shooting and determine he can't get the plow to shop without plowing road's all the way there ( like I ended up doing to get to where he was ). Have guys cover shop and get out to swap out blade for him.

Back to shop installs ets. Fiz JAA's plow and call it a night 1a.m.

Sat back up 6a.m. Nice day clear and remnants of snow. Do some installs and lot's of service. Take calls from guys about down plows and schedule them for service...Get it done.

Sun 1/2 day at home 1/2 at shop.

Mon up and doing installs home by 11p.m.
    Tue Beautiful day out almost wish it wouldn't snow but it does and keep's on snowing spend night doing service work.

Wed take trip to BUFFALO in a.m. lot's of snow on the way. Get back about 11:00. Work on skidder plow. Need's special part. Will work but not like it should ... give customer option to use till Monday or take my unit off my skidder to use.....He opt's to use his.
    Finish install on sweet looking 78 CHEVE pickup. Front 810 and Snoman power angle back blade. SUGGEST CUSTOMER GETS A NEW BATTERY A.S.A.P. to go with 160amp alternator ( battery has bad terminals and won't hold load ) Offer to sell battery from rack (INTERSTATE) he decides not to.
    Call it a night after bringing in trucks to thaw for morning.

Thu 7:00a.m. ------Happy Thanksgiving-----My plow won't work....Guy says truck run's fine but plow unit is dead. Tried everything.

Told him to check the fuse and check for solenoid click. Was clicking. Told him to check his cables. He did and they all seemed fine. Use jumpers to jump motot.....plow motor runs ok but pos terminal on battery is smoking..........

Now for the fun. He got up and plowed for 2.5 hrs no problems and loved the plow.....IT was the same guy I did the install for Wed night who I told to get a battery.

What should I do???? Help him fix his truck or stay in bed????
    Jerre