1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard straightblade falls down when lifted

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Sharpcut 1, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Anybody know if the orange/black wire that goes to the S5 coil gets power when the controller is lifting?? Mine is, and the coil is staying energized and making the plow float back down. If I pull the coil off the valve, it stuays up, so my valve is opening and closing. I tried another controller, and it also gives power to the S5 coil when lifting. When you let off the controller, I lose power at the pacard connector, but coil stays energized. I tried a differnt coil, thinking it was shorted. Still dropped down. Also tried a differnt plow side harness with a differnt diode pack, but that stupid coil is still staying energized till I shut off the controller. Then it will stay up until activated again. How is this coil staying energized??? Thanks in advance, JOHN
  2. lohr

lohr Junior Member
    from 18411

I bet your problem is in the molded plug on the truck side harness.we had a plow in with the same problem and we found out it was arcing from one terminal to another inside the plug. good luck
  3. fireside

fireside Senior Member

make sure you have a good ground. I would check the truck plug first you may have corosion or water in there causing the problem. S5 is lower it should have no power when lifting.
  4. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I have had to change 2 of the moulded plugs out of 3 810's I own. They fail internally. I now actually stock an extra replacement kit.
  5. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Will be diode plug or diodes, controller or plow side plug in that order. Very seldom can be truck side plug or rubbed wires on the truck side.

6. Hootervill

Hootervill Junior Member

Sharpcut 1 , what was the final solution to this problem? I have the exact same problem with my 760 LT. It will raise and stay up using the powerhitch but once switched over to the regular function even a angle function will cause the blade to drop. All valves checked for debris. Plug is clean.
  7. articstorm

articstorm Member

I had the same problem on a 860 Speedwing. I took it back and the dealer had to replace the truckside wiring harness. Mine would stay up in powerhitch mode on the controller switch or if the switch was tunred off while up. They tried several different things to remedy this first including new magnets and different controlers. They even had a battery pack set up with a wiring harness and controller and it would work great on it's own, just not hooked to the truck. I have heard since that there have been some other needing the truck side harness replaced as well.

8. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

change truck harness
  9. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Yea, I ended up tracing it down to the truck side harness. Innstalled new this year, something in the plug is making contact when it should'nt.
  10. damian

damian Senior Member

Vehicle side harness,also check plow side,most often you cant detect problem,it is inside molded plug,switch controllers w/someone just to rule it out.
  11. Hootervill

Hootervill Junior Member

Five days later and $450 poorer I have replaced the truck side harness and voila, the blade stays up.
    I had a very close look at the old harness and no rubbing along the loom so the problem had to be in the plug.

Thanks for the help guys.

As my blade is only 1 1/2 years old and it sounds like this is a common problem maybe Blizzard should think about selling a plug that is of the same quality of the rest of the plow.
  12. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

There were no problems with the harness or the plow until DD bought them out.
    Hooter, I know you're in canada, but that harness is only about $225.00 here in the states, I believe. You did'nt replace the headlight harness, just the plow harness, correct??
  13. Hootervill

Hootervill Junior Member

I replaced just the truck harness (no lights). My closest dealer had the suggested list at $425 and gave me a deal at $375 plus shipping and taxes.

Pricing in Canada has always been about 75% higher than US pricing even when our dollars were at par.tymusic
  14. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Sharpcut, If you read my original post the last two things I listed were the truck side plug or a rubbed truck side harness wire. We've seen a small percentage of plugs since the very beginning with failures. They can be a pain to diagnose. The oddest one is the plows that will work from out front but will not operate the solenoid from inside the truck. An in harness splice between the brown and the brown/white wire is the culprit. SOME are joined at the plug and some are up the harness part way. As long as the plow side still works it's a simple new splice in the harness near where the Brown/White takes off out of the harness.