1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard Speedwing

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by KCB, Jan 23, 2007.

1. KCB

KCB Senior Member

what can you tell me about this plow. Good or bad ? Any problems with the wings ? Is it better suited for open lots vs. driveways ? How well dose it backdrag in the scoop position ?
  2. truckie36

truckie36 Member

3. KCB

KCB Senior Member

Thanks truckie that was some good info. I realize that I wouldn't be able to get as close to doors and such because of the extended wing. And I don't want to pin back the wings that would defeat the purpose. I just want to know If having the wings out causes some lousy condition when back dragging?
  4. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

With the 810 either one or both of the wings in the scoop position (essentially the same as a Speedwing) has no real difference in back dragging. Done it a few times, but be careful as I would not want to hit the wings on anything.
  5. truckie36

truckie36 Member

I haven't backdraged anything deep or wet yet, but it seems to scrape better than the Fisher it replaced (extra weight / cutting edge angle).
  6. KCB

KCB Senior Member

Thanks guys. Thats just what I wanted to hear.:salute:
  7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We went with a Fisher only because we needed a V Blade, but if not for that it was a speed wing, no doubt. Next plow.....Blizzard 810
  8. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't worry about getting close to doors, thats what snow shovels are for. I have an 860 speed wing and love it as much as I did my 810. I don't care what kind of plow you are using it's still a good idea to shovel 2 or 3' away from a door. I do condos and have used western straight blades and both blizzards. I think that the blizzards back drag much better, they heavier plain and simple.The scoop lets you put snow where you need to. As far as using the wings it is worth opening them up because you can dag a driveway in two passes. As I have said in the past I actually like the SW because of the fact that the wings are locked with pins. My 810 would fold into the scoop position when draging heavy snow. Dollar for dollar you can't beat a SW. I got mine for less than a friend paid for his 8' fisher. As soon as you do a little wind rowing you'll be glad to have the wings. If you happen to hit anything with the wings they just spring back, unlike the bolt on ones! I think that you will be very happy with a blizzard plow!!!
  9. Stone Mountain

Stone Mountain Member

Our Speedwing is almost useless for backdragging, but it's great for plowing. Simpler to use and almost as effective as our 8-10, far better than a straight blade. Windrows are almmost a thing of the past.
    We also have an 8611, and that is one awesome plow, especially mounted on a Ford f-550 4x4. Nothing stops it!
    The only thing I don't like is the stupid joystick control: the raise/lower is backwards, and there's no way to mount it to the dashboard. It's just too big to hold in your hand, so it stays in your lap, which it falls out of every 3 seconds.
  10. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Your controller didn't come with a strap to put around the seat? I actually like my controller now. I think of it as a tranny saver, can't be slamming gears until you have moved the plow. By then you have stopped for the most part.