1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

blizzard speed wing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by green frog, Sep 22, 2007.

1. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Can anyone tell me how this plow back drags. I plow 5 commercial upto an acre and 20 residential, looking to see if this would be a good dual purpose for my f250?

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

IT's OK, but not great only because you have to pin the wings back to do a good job. If you do pin them back--which only takes maybe a minute--it works fine. Awesome plow overall.

3. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Why not just get the 810? Then you can control the wings.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'd say for most guys, its because of the weight and money savings.

5. Utah snow king

Utah snow king Junior Member

The way the ware blades ware out 5 times faster than the main blade make the wing usless in back draggint get another plow

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

The wings do wear faster, but that doesn't make them useless. Going to get 4 seasons of pretty consistant use on my stock ones. Next ones will be carbide. I agree on not getting the speedwing though because of the wing always being deployed.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  7. Utah snow king

They are pretty useless when it comes to back draging

8. Utah snow king

I dont know how you get 4 seasons out of stock blades I got my plow this year and after 7 storms the wings are more than half gone on the tips... Is there another type of ware blade thats better

9. WIPensFan

The tips will wear faster, but that doesn't mean you need new blades. My 8611LP has a thick curb guard to it, does yours?

10. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

humm ... was thinking of putting a speedwing on my 06' F350. I go thru a cutting edge on each blade once a season now. sucks. big money to make even bigger money

11. WIPensFan

Wow! How much plowing do you do per event? Are you saying you wear out the wings?

12. newlooklandscp

from Midwest

'

We wear out everything, right down to the mold board sometimes. I'm going to start doing build ups I think and see .... but sometimes the extra money is not worth it since the build ups can be a 100-200 bucks. Currently this year I have 5 trucks going out 1 skid and 1 loader, the blizzards are 1-lp and 4-810's plowing 24 accounts ranging in size from .5 acre (only two or three) up to several 4.5 and 5 acre sites plus a few condos that require tons od clean up time. The blades are on the ground 8hrs plus per event usually ranging around 10-12 hours. I currently run no shoes or build ups. No I think I might shy away from the speedwing because I will definitely have to do build ups.

13. WIPensFan

Sounds like a lot of plowing. You definately need to find a better blade. I'd bet your making plenty of money to cover your costs though.

14. newlooklandscp

from Midwest

I love the blizzards, I would never switch to anything else. The attack angle is great and the overall blade has cut my plowing time considerably. I just need to figure out how to save edges ... at $575 a pop and 5 a season ...... ya you do the math.

15. festerw

festerw Senior Member

16. WIPensFan

I should have said, "a better cutting edge". :salute:

17. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

WIPENSFAN,

This is your solution. They work great!

18. hosenfeffer

hosenfeffer Senior Member
    from nh

speedwing extendor pics?

Not to hijack a thread but..... UPS man just left me with a pair of Winter extendors for my 8600 speed wing.
    Looks like I can burn some holes to bolt on and or weld after. Looking for suggestions or pics of installs.

19. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Thought I would jump in. 860 Speedwing for 5 years. Back drags garages fine w/o pinning wings back. Would suggest getting a 760 Speedwing, better for residential and on lots under acre, won't notice the difference.

As far as edge ware, make sure your plow is installed properly. If lifted truck, lower mount to the proper height. Most issues around here with excessive ware is due to attack angle.
    I avg. about $ 15,000 billing per set of blades at about $500 per 3 unit set. No complaints from me. In fact it would be nice to use a few more sets. Jerries Serv on here sells an excellent set of wing edges. Cost a little more.