1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Waterchikn, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

I was watching that CD video that Blizzard sends to ya when you request info. I was watching all the different things that this plow can do it it looks amazing. They show an interesting part of the video where the plow "trips" over a curb, at a few different angles and plow positions. The one they didn't show was in the windrow position (either way) with the leading wing pivoted forward. What happens when you hit something with that leading wing. I imagine they thought of this, was just wondering what the people who use these plow have found when they hit something like this. The reason I ask is when they show the plow performing like this, the truck is probably going 20-25 mph.
    Also, I know everyone has their "opinions" and all, but I was wondering what the people who have these plows think about them so far...
    Who is my closest dealer also....the Blizzard website is under construction
    Detroit, Rockwood, Monroe areas.....

A search gave me alot of info, but it also made me ask more questions.......
  2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Unless they've changed the video, there should be a scene of the condition you describe, where the leading wing hits the curb first. There's a relief valve that blows off and lets the wing fold back straight if you hit something, just like your straight plow will swing away if you hit something with it angled. They take a pretty good beating, I hit a raised catch basin with mine at about 12 mph., enough to tweak the cutting edge on the wing. The hose to the angle piston blew off the seat but there was no other damage to the plow.
  3. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

I have had very good luck with mine. I also hit a few things pretty good and have had no problems. I have seen pictures on this site of some damage to them but in my opinion you have to be an animal with it to do damage. Anything that damages this plow would damage any other plow. Bottom line? it took 35-40% of my time off my jobs and scrapes clean, love it. Hey Pelican which truck is your Blizzard on?:drinkup:
  4. Bonzai

Bonzai Member

Question for you guys with Blizzard blades. Can you put U-Edges on them. I have plowed this winter so far with them on our western V-plows and would never want to go back to steel. I am considering a Blizzard for next year. Thanks
  5. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Blizzard plows have a 1375 psi relief setting, so that when you do hit an obstruction, it will allow the wing to fold back.

Then energize the cylinder and your in business again. I have a guy that purchased his plow from me, hit a catch basin that was raised @ 30mph, and the only thing it did to the wing was bend the cutting edge.

From personal experience, a BOSS cutting edge would have shattered.

So far my plow is holding up great. Hope this helps.
  6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Bonzai, contact Jerre Heyer, he's got photos of an 810 with a poly edge he can send you.

ProSno, I was thinking the same thing when I saw the photos. After the hits my wing has taken, it makes me wonder how fast the truck was going. I talked to the Blizzard service rep, he told me in their testing they didn't see damage like that until the plow took a direct hit at 26 mph or more. I think the force required to damage a Blizzard would damage any plow.

Two seasons ago I hit a raised basin with my Diamond in a culdesac. The truck ended up climbing up over the plow, and the hoist frame got pulled down and broke. Any plow is going to fail with a certain amount of abuse.

My Blizzard's mounted on my F-350 flatbed, a photo is posted on the "Finally got a picture..." thread.
  7. Bonzai

Bonzai Member

Thanks Pelican
  8. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

U edge

I remember someone talking about having a u-edge on a blizzard, but I couldn't find the thread. If there is pics out there, I would love to see them. As for dealer support in my area, I still havn't found anyone, but then again I haven't really been looking that hard. Makes sense with the pressure relief vavle and letting the wing go back.

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

if i could suggest to blizzard an improvement to the blizzard plow it would be to the mounting frame. although the "push tube"i call it, the horizontal piece your plow hooks to, is very very heavily built, i think the mounting plates, vertical pieces that attach to your truck frame and to the push tube, are the weak points. i think they could have used some heavier plate steel in the construction of these mounting plates. im going to beef mine up a bit to prevent any possible failures before they happen. other than that, as far as strength/design issues, i have none. i could give you some productivity numbers ive had running one blizzard 810 power plow that would blow your mind, how about it Jerre?
  10. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

Where could i get a copy of this blizzard cd? I ve never seen a Blizzard around here, but from talk on this site i might take a long drive to see Jerre.
  11. jpl

jpl Member
    from ct.

Pat ,

There is a Blizzard dealer in Avon Mass. (Damien Diesel) There are also dealers in Ct. Larese Enterprises in Wallinford Ct. & Backes Power Equip. in Burlington Ct
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2003
  12. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member