1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard Problems ya/na

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by phishoook, Dec 6, 2005.

1. phishoook

phishoook Member

have you had enough of a problem with your blizzard to regret your purchase?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  2. Ice Scream

Ice Scream Member

I have had lots of problems with my Blizzard 810, yes I do regret buying my plow. On the other hand Blizzard plows are good units overall, the dealer is my main problem now. Some of the things they advertise with the plow are not comparing apples to apples. I thought it would save me alot more time clearing parking lots, and it doesn't, but I also had a 9'2" Boss v. There are other small issues that I have to deal with on the plow.

3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

This is interesting that you say it does not save you time in parking lots... Everybody has always stated they save at least 30%... Why has it not saved you any time... please elaborate. I am not just looking to bash blizzard here, I just want the opinion of someone who has a different point of view.

Thanks

Lou

4. wls

wls Senior Member

Very happy with my 810 purchase, had a coil burn up on me, (my fault), other then that nothing. I have cut back on big parking lots this year, concentrating on more drivways, I may sell the 810, and pick up a straight 860 in the spring.

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Im not to that point yet. Im not sure if the problems I have been having are from the bad plow, or bad installers. :rolleyes:

6. phishoook

phishoook Member

keep the comments coming. I can get Blizzard and western plows dirt cheap. I can see the advantages of both, but can't tell if the disadvantages out weigh the savings.

7. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

Epic,
    Who installed your plow? I have a new one this year too and have used it 3 times. So far no problems. I was just wondering if we had the same installers. Probably since there is only one in the area. Also, I think we have a mutual friend at baker rd. Auto.
    Jason

8. Ice Scream

Ice Scream Member

Blizzard is comparing there 810 to a 8'2" Boss V, not a 9'2" Boss V. I don't think that is a fair comparison. I had a 9'2" Boss V, it was faster and stacked snow higher. I have to move snow farther in almost all areas mainly because it does not stack snow nearly as high. You do gain a little width, but definately not 30% worth of snow savings.

9. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

SO FAR SO GOOD WITH MY 810 BUT WE GOT A LONG WINTER A HEAD OF US.SO WE WILL C. SO FAR I HAVE CUT 30MIN OFF EACH OF MY 3 BIGGEST LOTS.:waving:

10. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

Too bad You don't have a ford or me a dodge, we could talk trade for my Western 8' pro plow.
    My Western has been a very good plow, But I like what I see with the 810.

11. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I have one storm under my belt this year with the Erie Special (Customized 810) 13 hours. This plow is hands down better then any plows I have run and owned. These include Western Straights, and Western V's 8'6" , and a Boss 8'2" v.
    I cut one lots time in half and shaved hours off the apartments I do. No bull just plowing as efficient as possible.
    Ice Scream you do any salting ?
    I would bet my weeks lunch money that Blizzard scrapes better then the Boss V. Plus the fricken mess the Boss V-s leave as well. Point Im getting at here is you will use way less salt with the Blizzard over the Boss V as the scraping will be much cleaner. So less salt more coin in your jar.
    Im sure the v stacked better but so do loaders lol. The Blizzard plow windrows better and contains better as well so besides stacking do you think the Boss and the Blizzard are equall ??
    I know there not for everyone but I was giggling like a kid plowing with that blade. Really nothing I have plowed with held a candle to it honest. I cant believe I was stupid enough not to buy one sooner. I was on the fence and feel like a fool for being there. Seems most Blizzard bashers dont even own one.
    Todd

12. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

T-Man
    I like what you're saying. I have to agree, after using mostly westerns for the past years, I think Blizzard scrapes much better, especially backdragging, the blade is not as curled on the bottom, so the blade scrapes down better then the western, plus the weight. I also have several lots that used to take 3-4 hours with one truck now they take 2-2 1/2 I'm very happy, as long as I don't start having problems. I'm also wondering how many people that have had problems, installed the plow themselves. It seems like everything I've heard is the result of a bad install. Maybe it's just me.:nod:

13. wls

wls Senior Member

Ya really, but I do like the blizzards, especially the price. I had this 810 on a f-250 last year. I can get the 860 installed for 2899.00, thats with the frame mount etc, I wonder what I could get just the plow for, should work on mount/push beam, that I have for the 810, you would think.

14. paulsauto

paulsauto Member

Installer problems?

Epic what type of problems are you having. I'm a Blizzard Dealer and haven't seen any problems the last 3 years on these plows. First two years were tough , but we got most problems ironed out. All my customer say they won't go back to straight or V's after using the 810. Blizzard has done a good job upgrading problem areas on these plows. They also have gone to powder coating instead of paint. I believe all brands have done the same. I would be willing to help anyone on this board that has problems with there plow or try to answer questions for somebody interested in them.

15. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Added a Blizzard this year to a fleet of Westerns. It is in my opinion
    the most efficient and time saving plow on the market. In My area of NJ
    I do not see any "white" plows around and we had contractors watching
    this thing go. In the right hands it is awesome.

16. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

810 Wing problem

A few people and myself included have had problems with the wings over extending, leaving them vulnerable to damage. Some have said that the pins are to short others said that did not fix the problem. In the meantime I am making sure that I am pulling in the wing so that there is an over lap. But I would like to know how to fix the problem. By the way the plow is freakin awsome I out plow my buddy's 8-2 all day!
    Thanks Adam

17. phishoook

phishoook Member

Thanks once again. I'm 98% sure that I'll have a new 810 with in a month. Getting an awsome deal from a new dealer. He's still waiting on the paper work to go through.

18. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Im not saying that Im going to go back to a strait blade today, these plows are great, real time savers. Im just a little pissed at the fact that I have a brand new plow with less than 30 hours on it and already this many problems.

1. The headlights will not stay tight on the light tower, I have had to re-aim and re-tighten them every time I've used the plow.
    2. The Left side running light does not work, and its not the bulb. The first time I used the plow both sides would "flicker" now the right side works fine but the left side does not work at all. Im not the only one have this problem a buddy of mine has the same problem with his 810.
    3. The right side wing curls in to the scoop before it extends out. So if you want to use the plow as a ten foot plow you have to let it curl, then let it extend out, then retract it so its strait. I know its not frozen because its in a heated shop when its not being used.
    4. The light tower only has one pin holding it in because I have lost one of them, Im not sure how it falls out but it did. My guess would be that the "key ring thing" fell off or something.
    Like I said I love the plow, but I have run other brands for years and never had a problem, let alone four problems in two months.

19. Ice Scream

Ice Scream Member

No I do not do any salting not a big seller up here...

As far as scraping, it may do a little better, but not by much. The back blading is awsome. The clean up is no problem with a boss. I do not like how the wings push back so easy on the Blizzard. They were tested by Blizzard and they are working correctly. The Blizzard works awsome with under 8" of snow, but more then that it kinda sucks. Like the 15" in the last storm, you can't extend the wings and push the snow. My truck has lots of power and weight, but if you can't use why not buy a straight blade and put scoops on it. I like the Blizzard for the most part, its just so heavy, and no dealer support.

20. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Epic Im gonna bet these are more dealer issues then "Blizzard Problems". Just Like Fords and Chevys, a crappy dealer will put a bad taste in your mouth for a certain product. I have about 15 hours of heavy use on mine and it is working great. No loose headlights or light tower pins yet. But then again I went to Erie to have it installed by the best.
    Todd