1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JD PLOWER, Dec 21, 2002.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a 8/10ss hooked up to a 953 bobcat and the wings do not function. I should point out that I did leave the wings in the extended position for several days while the plow was off the machine, does this have anything to do with the wings "locking up"? The plow does angle fine when hooked up and the wings did function a few days ago when I last used the machine. The manual I have for the blade is a 86/11 manual (blizzard sent the dealer the wrong one) so will this manual help at all since this is a machine driven hydro? Is the manifold the same? The only thing I have checked so far is the electrical connections and they seem to be fine (from the quick once over I gave them) and I won't be able to check the manifold until tomorrow. Any help is greatly appreciated from you Blizzard guru's (or anybody else for that matter). Thanks JD.

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

if i were you i would drop jerre heyer a quick private message. if anyone on here can help you it is him.

I know Jerre's the man but when it comes to tips (he helped me with a plow he doesn't even sell) we have several blizzard dealers lurking here, besides from the radar it looks as if Jerre's hands are full this weekend :drinkup: . So if anybody has any tips please don't be bashfull.
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I dont know much about the Blizzard's,but i did demo one,and I could see that if you left the wings extended,and it got warm,then cold,they may be frozen in the extended position,maybe a few minutes in a garage,or 5 minutes with a handheld propane torch would melt the snow/ice behind them,and get them retracted,I'd try that first.
  5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'd also verify that you're getting power to the wing solenoids through your switching. There isn't much else to go wrong, it would be strange to see both solenoids fail at once. I suspect John might have nailed it.

John thanks for the tip. The only reason I think it might be something else (other than ice) is it has been well above freezing here for the better part of a week. I will give that a try tom. but I also will try what steve mentioned, the solenoids having electrical problems. Thanks for your help.
  7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We got alot of rain yesterday, and temps did go below freezing last night. John D may be onto something there.
  8. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Do the wings pivot forward and back but not slide in? Do they move at all? This will give you places to start. Look at the inside cover for your relay and hose locations. Check for magnitisim in the coils for the wing operations. If you have magnitisim when the switch is operated you need to check to valve. Before you start pulling it apart give me a call.

Jerre thanks for the response. The wings are at full extension (straight) and when I press the wing buttons they shudder a bit but thats about it (move maybe 1/2 an inch). I will be trying some of what has been mentioned here Sunday but I will give you a call and see if you have any ideas for me. Thanks a bunch :) . BTW is the manual for the 8611 going to be of use (such as solenoid locations/ diagnostics)?
  10. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Are the supply hoses hooked up properly? If the flow and return are backwards the wings will go out and not come back in. Try switching the hoses around, if that does not work, make sure you have a constant 12 volts( I know Bobcats come with pulse voltage, not all, but some ).

Take a light tester to see if you are getting the power to the solinoids.

Have any more problems, call me 269-217-9216:rolleyes:
  11. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Jon is on the right track about hydraulic flow creating a possible problem. But assuming that you had been using the blade before you know that your bobcat has forward and reverse flow on the hydraulic system and instead of unhooking the hoses and reversing them you flip the switch on the handle or the foot pedal to reverse the flow. Most 810's will still operate with reverse flow but will not operate corectly.

Next question. Are you using the bobcat switches to control the 810 or are you using the Blizzard hand held control? A couple of loose wires or a loose connector could also be the problem.

Had one guy loading a dump truck stretch the control cable and pull a wire out of it.

Get me an email with your name, address and Ph# and I'll get you a manual for your 810SS. need also to know the serial ## of the plow. Jerre

Jon, Thanks for the help. Didn't mention the hydraulic flow because he had already been running the unit and most will still operate hoever eraticly with reverse flow. Jerre
  12. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

I have to say "smart minds work alike". i should also have mentioned that I also could send an 810ss manual to JD. I have plenty in stock.

We have put on (3) three 810ss' this year.

One on an T200, a T300, and a 873 (not sure on that model #).

The T series Bobcat, we utilized the Bobcat control sticks to run all Blizzard operations, the other I put the hand hled controler with a custom Fabbed mount.

They all work sweet.

We do alot of trick work here @ Mulder's.

If you have anymore ????? call me @ 269-217-9216

Props to Jon and Jerre!

You both are correct in your assumptions, my father had added some fittings to the hydro connections (they now mount as the newer style bobcats at a flat angle) and had reversed the fittings :rolleyes: . A quick change and everything is correct! (It was so fast with the fittings being reversed it was dangerous).

Jerre the control is a blizzard control thats strapped to the right hand controller on the bobcat. (3 switches)

I really appreciate you guys helping me out and I can't ask you to mail me a manual. Thats blizzards job. I will pm both of you with my number, (thanks for posting yours) and again, thanks very much for the advice.

Do either of you guys plan on moving to the Boston area, if you do I promise to sell my Fishers and get blizzards :drinkup: *

* I do really like my Fishers but the dealer support in this area is Horribble!
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2002
  14. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

JD PLower,

Who is your Fisher dealer in your area. I run Fisher's and use Brake and Clutch in Salem.
  15. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Maybe Blizzard should start to get there units put on trucks like the fisher does .Seams every truck in this area has them on at the dealer and I think that boston /north brake and clutch is closest dealer.
  16. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

17. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

well when i worked at a ford dealer they would install fishers only.the reason why was the dealership got a kick back from fisher and the dealer that sold it.depending on the time of year they would have me do the installs.did close to 150 one year.but before i left there they started installing boss and curtis snow plows.only did 2 or 3 curtis ones did about 50 or 60 boss v plows.the dealer i worked for would never sell a meyers on a new truck cause i told them there junk and they listened after they used it on the seasonal lot plow truck which they sell at the end of every winter.but if there was dealer support near the branford madison area in CT im sure they would start installing Blizzards.i hope to have a dealership for equipment some day.so i can do what i enjoy more
    installing plows working on trucks.
  18. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

So you are going to blame a user install mistake on the plow?:rolleyes:
  19. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

from what i've seen these plows have more moving parts than a standard striaght blade or a V.there good plows from what i have seen theres just more to them.more to go wrong.all plows run into problems.its just these are new and its going to take some time to work out the bugs.if there was a dealer in CT near me i would buy one before i buy a V plow. i have westerns and fishers but i would like to get my hands on one of these plows.

I can't speak to any other issues involving Blizzards except for mine and chtucker is correct the fault here is mine not blizzards.

Gordo I have used Salem before but they are a lot closer to you than me ;) . Their service is very good but have you tried to make an appointment with them or gone there before a storm? Its not a pretty sight! Lines around the block! My thing with Fisher is the number of dealers that are capable of servicing the plows is very inadequate. Consider this, Eastern Mass has roughly 6-7million people living here with God only knows how many Contractors with plows 90% being Fishers and off the top of my head I can only think of 4 dealers that are within 20-25 miles of my location (2 miles outside of downtown Boston). This is not a problem when the snow isn't flying but as soon as we have a forecast of snow ALL these dealers are swamped (I'm not blaming them) and this is why I say Fisher is a victim of their own success. They need more dealers for an area with this many people.

BTW Jerre thanks for the call while I was out and thanks for letting blizzard know about the manual (they didn't seem to be listening to me or my dealer). Thats customer service!!
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2002