1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard predicted, now plow guys are everybody's friend

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by downtoearthnh, Jan 26, 2015.

1. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

It seems to be a pattern in the residential plow world. We build a route of loyal customers, develop a plow routine, and then the big storm comes along, and the phone rings off the hook. People who would have nothing to do with you, and only wanted to be plowed if there was 6" or more, are suddenly long lost friends. They plead, asking you for consideration, and then when the storm is past, they leave you in the dust one more time. There is a special place in the underworld for these folks, but not before the invoice is paid!
  2. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Tell them the only friends you have are dead presidents.
  3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Yeah ? Same Pineapples live here. Doing the same thing to me...

Lady: "Oh, I'm calling to confirm you have us on your list"

Me: No, you're not on the list

Lady: "why not ? You plowed our drive last year"

me: I haven't spoken to you since last year. You didn't call me until just now...2 hours into the storm... People who called me previous to the storm, were put into a route, and they take precedence. You wouldn't want me to push you out of line if someone else called me today, when you made arrangements back in August, now would you ?

Lady: But you did us last year, and I would have thought.....

Me: All I can say is "maybe", and you do know my pricing has gone up, right ?

Lady: "What ? You're charging more ? That's not fair"...

Me: Sorry, it's the best I can do.
  4. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

If we get a larger storm (for us) here, it's like the neighbor you've seen on the road twice, they act like you've known each other since kindergarten. They call you at the END of the storm, you're crazy tired, they beg and beg, you give in, then you get there and your truck can't go up their uphill driveway.
    I don't like to burn bridges with neighbors or whoever, but when you live in the country with large open fields on either side of your driveway, what do you expect? Certainly no drifting, oh never.
  5. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

Then you get the "uh, well, uh," continuously in the snotty sounding way
  6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

...you have to dig out their gate which was left closed, with 4 cars in the driveway cause their children have all moved back home, but don't leave...we're coming out to start(and clear off the cars) and move them so you can replow everything toy just did...LOL
  7. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I've had over 10 calls today, which probably doesn't sound like a lot but still. People say "oh you plow my neighbors it will be easy for you". I just say no my route is full. People beg and plead. The answer is just no. Done playing games with people. Just get bit in the end
  8. M&M

M&M Senior Member

This is the perfect storm to get back at people who have ripped you off in the past. If you have any dead beats you are driving by in the middle of the night or a long driveway just stuff a giant pile of snow at the end of their drive! I have a guy who I've been taking to court for 8 months that could use some snow. Unfortunately he lives 25 miles from me...
  9. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Love the term "pineapple". Soo fitting!!!!
  10. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

And like I said your truck can't go up the little hill their drive way goes up, so you have to go get your bobcat that may not start cuz of the cold, of course it doesn't have a heated cab, and three hours later you realize a simple "NO" could've saved you 3 hours of sleep and a warm face. But some people can't take no for an answer as we all know.
  11. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

Our luck we'd get stuck doing it and then we can't get to our lots lol
  12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Same thing happened when we got that 7 feet in Nov.all of a sudden .............
  13. 04tundra

04tundra Senior Member

Same thing happened to me today, phone ringing off the hook. luckily most of them are summer lawn clients who handle the small snowfalls by themselves and need a hand with the heavier stuff. I add them to the back of the line.
  14. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

I had quite a few calls from 1 time customers last year who ignored my emails in October plus their neighbors calling to get on the list. Sorry route is full. Try Craig's list. If I told you I could get to you I would be lying to your face. That gets them off the phone. I really hate 1 time customers. Not worth the aggravation or money.
  15. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

16. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

U tapping my phone again ?
    Pineapples ....butthats....booger eaters.....its all the same
    Intelligence is being inferred, as you already know

I let all of them go to voicemail.....some get returned...if i care and the others can eat yellow snow
  17. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

Um, no:nono:
  18. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Give them GV's number, he"ll sell them seasonals for ya
  19. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I would take that. Full price for the season. they won't get any more snow so it works out to 500 a plow for a driveway.
  20. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like a big toes prices