1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard power plow 8611LP

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Jguck25, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I Just recently bought a fisher XLS and I love the plow a lot. Very efficient but I kept thinking to myself that I wish it was 8.5 retracted and 10.5 or 11 when expanded, and then I heard about this blizzard plow but I have a couple questions about it first.

How does it compare to the fisher? I know i know, same company. Trip vs trip edge. I get that, What I mean is quality wise, I have heard they arent as good as the fishers?

My biggest thing I have a question with makes no sense. It is LIGHTER than my XLS, Fisher says I can put an xls on my 2005 F350, but blizzard says it is not an option even though it is lighter than the xls. It makes no sense. Blizzard says only for trucks GVW of 14k or more, where the hell do they get that from if the same company (fisher) says that I can legally put a heavier plow on my truck?

2. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I am actually looking ahead to next year, since this spring I am expanding my landscaping business and am hopefully going to get a leftover 2013 or 2014 F350 with the 6.7. and this plow will be going on that truck.

3. BladeBlowBucket

BladeBlowBucket Member

I Hear what you are saying about D.D. being "Fisher, Western, and Blizzard" …. but from what i've seen here the 8611 looks HUGE compared to the Western Wide-Out ………… I have not compared weights but I can't see that the 8611 being lighter ??? ……. I'd Have to guess that it's a "CYA" scenario on their part …. I can only vouch that the 8611 PP is really heavy and in full Width position it can produce a lot of side loaded Torque to the frame…. especially tagging a frozen snow pile with one half of the plow …….. JMHO …. Cheers !!!

4. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

8611 weighs 1,470 pounds
    Wideout weighs 940 pounds
    XLS weighs 985 pounds

5. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

8611LP - new style weighs about 990lbs, old style weighs about 1100lbs.

6. Sawboy

OP didn't mention LP. Weights given are for standard 8611 and are exact per Blizzard web site.

7. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

it is in the original posters subject line.

Anyway, I have nothing but 86110lp - they are great for me, and I love the extra size.

I have an employee with an XLS, he loves it, and I understand it's benefits, but at the end of the day, the extra foot wins for me.

A chain lift with a trip edge is a better plow to me, but I will always pick bigger.

8. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

How bout modifying a blizzard plow and a frame to fit a fisher xls headgear?? Would be an abortion of a plow but would fit your exact needs.

9. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Thanks guys! I did mention lp but it was in the title of the thread. And the plow is 990 pounds versing my xls with the cutting edge and snow foil making it close to 1100 pounds and the truck handles it fine

I whole heartedly agree with pristine, i would much rather have a trip edge but that extra foot is extremely tempting. How many people run these plows on a one ton?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  10. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

You ever heard of danger wings. Guy from Erie was installing them on blizzard plows. That would give you another foot easy.

11. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

They have wings available for the xls? If so I am very interested

12. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

No not the XLS, and Jerre hasn't been doing the danger wings as of late that I know of. There is no difference in quality between Blizzard and Fisher. I'd take the LP over the XLS if those were my choices.

13. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

The subject of this thread is 8611LP.

14. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

The 8611LP really isn't comparable to an XLS imo. The XLS is in the 8-10 class plow with the Wideout and the Blizzard 810PP. The difference between a Blizzard 810 and a 8611LP is night and day different with that extra foot of moldboard.
    The 8611LP weight is considerably lighter than the 8611 for a couple of reasons, 1. being the moldboard gauge is 12 and 11 for the wings on a 8611LP versus 11 and 7 on a 8611. 2. your moldboard height is 34" on a 8611 versus 31" on a LP. and 3. the 8611 is oldschool it still uses the PH1 and is the only plow that doesnt feature the PH2 system.
    DangerWings wouldnt work with the Fisher with it being trip edge and I believe production of those were short lived anyhow. We ended up making a few sets of our own for our 810's and in the end seeing what the added width on the 810's saved us on time, basically was what led me to purchase our first 8611LP.

The 8611 and 8611LP are really the only 2 plows from the Blizzard line-up that DD hasnt tried to move to the Western or Fisher line-ups yet.

15. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Because of the trip edge. The other two brands use trip edges, which means their wings do not have metal edges. I do not like that, i want steel on my wings to cut the hardpack and ice better. All blizzards have steel wings and a full blade trip. They figured out that a 8611 with a trip edge would be a bad idea.

16. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Western doesnt use a trip edge...

17. Landgreen

Landgreen Member

My guess is that even though the 8611LP is lighter, it may hang farther out than the other plows creating more leverage on the frontend of the truck. Our 810's are way out there compared to our westerns.

18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

My Blizzards don't have steel edges.

Beat me to it. LOL

Apparently someone doesn't know their Westerns.

I've been running LP's on my 350's since '05.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  19. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Why don't they have steel edges? Weight savings? You just want to be different?

20. Sawboy

Already pointed out, but thanks for your concern.