1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John Allin, Nov 1, 2002.

1. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

I just committed us to our first Blizzard Plow.
    An 810 Power Plow for a 2003 F350 pickup.
    We'll be putting it to the test this winter, in Erie.......
  2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

No small endorsement there...

...looks like you'll be putting it to use sooner than later based on TWC reports.
  3. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

Keep us informes

Keep us informed how you like it. I've never heard of or seen a blizzard plow in MN but the concept is excellent.
  4. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

I am moving up from a straight blade to either a V blade or the Blizzard, but the Bllizzard is so new, I will have to hear about some more than just what I see in brochures.

I am mostly just subscribing to this thread.

When you get it post some pics on this thread john.
  5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

The plow has been out for a couple seasons now and after some early bugs it sounds like a solid unit. Do a search on Blizzard plows and you will find threads about the good features, operating problems and pictures.

May also want to look for Pelican on this site as he has a Blizzard on a SD Ford.
  6. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

I have read pretty much most of the threads on the Blizzard plows.

I want to see what the "MASTER" sinsea JAA has to say about it compared to snow pushers and wings.

Plus no dealer support around me that I can find.

There are a lot gadgets and gismo's on there than the avg straight or v blade.

Also the company is new when you look at Meyers, Douglas Dynamics (Western/Fisher), and more.

It is a completely "new" desing, and a new concept.

Just waiting to see if any bugs haven't still arised yet.
  7. John Allin

For what it's worth - the 4 guys that started the Blizzard company are the son's of the fellow that started (and later sold) the Boss (plow) company.

Not to worry, I'll certainly be giving regular reports on how our Blizzard operates and performs. I do know they had some problems early on - but, I have had some considerable discussion with them about their efforts to rectify the problems.

As some of you may recall, when Fisher came out with their "V" plow it was a disaster the first season. They have since rectified those problems and Fisher now has a dynamite product.

I was one who had some very disparaging things to say about Blizzard at their beginning, but I'm hoping that I can give them a fair shake now that they have worked so hard to make this a great unit for us who are "out there" every (snowy) night.
  8. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

What is considered an appropriate vehicle for an 810 blizzard in any of the three major trucks? Would a 1 ton srw of any be considered ok?

9. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

From the amount of snow it seems like you get there you probably had to stop for coffe and a little online time just to unwind.

Ford, Cheve and Dodge 3/4 ton and larger. Most will handle a BLIZZARD with no problems. Weight on the unit is 990# Check the Front GVW on the vehicle and go from there. Snow prep package is a no brainer no matter what plow you hang on the truck.

I'll pull a check for dealers in your area and also in ST.Louis area.

10. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

This is my first post ever--to any chat room or discussion forum. But I have been very interested in following what you guys are saying, because I have purchased a blizzard 810 which will go on either later today or tomorrow.
    The dealer tells me there is nobody else within 225 miles of this area using one, so I am sort of a guinea pig I guess. I'm convinced it's the way to go, but still...there's that uncertainty. And it's alot of money--what isn't? But I do feel better about it any time I hear things like most of the previous comments.
    I have a GMC 3500,4x4, 454 cid, T400, with a 9' dump box and an old 8' Western which will be replaced. Think it'll work for the 810?
    I'm only a one guy/one truck (+spare) operation, but I've been doing it now this way for about 12 years and I like it better. I subbed to start with, but I got tired of waiting sometimes until the summer to get paid my SHARE of the proceeds.--from Montana (no snow here today)
  11. John Allin

You're going to love the increased productivity, especially if you're charging per push or seasonal.....
  12. John Allin

My Production Manager was given the choice as to whether or not he got the new F350 with the Blizzard, or keep his 2000 Dodge 3/4 ton with Boss V....

Today he went and looked at the Blizzard at the dealer's. He's decided to take the new truck and Blizzard. Says it looks massive when extended out. It gets installed next week.

And, it appears we will need to buy two more plows now too, and I expect they will be Blizzards too..... guess we're jumping in whole-hog.....

Sorry Jerre - we'll probably buy them in Connecticut.... unless I can get the right deal (hint, hint).
  13. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

My only issue currently with the blizzard, is dealer support.My nearest dealer would be over an hour each way to get parts and service, whereas I have 2 western and fisher dealers within 1/2 hr round trip of me.
    The other consideration of the blizzrd vs V plow is types and depths of snow having to be plowed. For me, the blizzard would be perfect for commercial applications. But for someone say that does alot of residentials that may 12 or more inches of snow on them, the v plow is a must. Remember, a v plow can do everything a straight plow can, but a straight plow cant do everything a v plow can do.
  14. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Dealer support for me is irellevant, they are all over 100 miles away, but NAPA stocks almost everything for meyer.

That being said, I wish I bought a blizzard instead of my western, the turning radius on my superdutys is so friggin long that I know the
    \------------- position at over 9' feet would be of great use in my apartment parking lots. Keeping the snow from burying the cars and keep the otherside of the truck out of the snow.

15. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

We ordered 4 of the 810 Power Plows. They were suppost to be in today, but they are snowed-in up state at the Blizzard factory. Decided to give them a try on our new trucks. Im still getting a 8'2 poly V for my new truck. I hope they come in soon. Dealer support is great for me, I lease office and yard space from one of the local snowplow supply warehouses.
  16. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

98% of the work I do with mine is residential, although I try not to allow the accumilation exceed 8". The amount of time it has saved me is amazing! No windrow spillage, scoop position, and not dragging the rear wheels through the windrow on curves has made operating much more efficient.
  17. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Your worried about a 1 hour round trip, Can you imagine the faith John must have to do the round trip from Connecticut to Erie for sales and service............. I don't know if it's the dealer support or the faith in the product..............Honestly, I have to say if you plow snow and you don't carry a Factory repair/service kit and some oil you should rethink what your doing. A few wrenches, Screwdrivers, pliers and tape should be in any plow truck, add to that angle and lift hoses, a heavy duty solenoid, and a quart or two of oil and any plow should be able to have minor repairs made to keep going throught the night.

p.s. Plowking, Maybe you should look into getting a dealer in your town or becoming one yourself....... Jerre
  18. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I think Dino hit the nail on the head.Only one dealer in my area that i know of only because of JD plower.I need to see one in action then to know how to fix or change fluid in the wing and rest of unit and are the parts they use readly avaliable?I said it before in another post that they have a great video showing operation of it but they don't show hook up or unhooking of unit.But most of all they need more dealers and they should back there dealers with suport too for service .

I think this woukld work great where you need to get an 8' plow in some areas and then be able to open it up to clear the bigger areas,plus easier transport and storage.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2002
  19. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have to say that I agree with Dino. I got a small Fisher dealer within ten minutes. He gives me the emergency support I need. Another dealer within 30 minutes mean I can get anything I need just about anytime of the day.

This does not mean my shop and trucks are not stocked with common repair parts. Two yers ago though after an accident I was able to get a complete moldboard replaced at 1am and have the truck back on the road in under two hours. That would be pretty hard to do if the closest shop was over an hour away.
  20. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

Where to buy a Blizzard in St.Louis

Try Rhino linings of St.Louis they don't stock the blizzard but they can Order you one and install it if you want.