1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Paul Torunski, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Paul Torunski

Paul Torunski Junior Member
    from canada

Here's one for you wolf:angel:s to sink your teeth into, I asked earlier about what brand to go with, the replay I got was go with the top 6 and you cannot go wrong the other is dealer location. What if I said I have Blizzard, Boss, and Sno-way in my area and what I would like to know is what order would you put these in as in the Olympics gold, silver, and bronze. Thank you all for any input!!:angel:

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Go with whichever you like best. We can't make that decision for you since all 3 of those are good plows. Your basically asking us do we want a chevy, a dodge, or a ford. It can be argued forever and no one will ever win.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Not really, because in essence Ford\Dodge\Chevy all are equally productive. But, when it comes to plows, assuming we are talking a power plow here, the Blizzard will out plow any other straight or V-blade on the market. As of right now.

So, if you are asking about a power plow or even a SpeedWing, they are all more efficient than a straight or V-blade and they scrape cleaner. All facts.

4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

What type of truck are you looking to have the plow installed on? As mentioned dealer support should be a key thing to consider when purchasing any equipment. Are you looking to plow commercially or just maintaining your own property?

I think that you will get many opinions on plows here as Mark13 mentioned. Mark O is very partial to his Blizzards as that is what he runs, they work well for him, and he has a dealer that gives him great support.

I would suggest that if these are the 3 brands that you are considering, research them thoroughly and also the dealers that handle them in your area. Then depending on what type of plowing you are looking to do you should be able to get the answers that you need to make the most informed decision.

5. fireside

fireside Senior Member

If your doing driveways don't waste your money on a blizzard.If your doing commercial parking lots by far the best plow out there.but don't plan on much support from blizzard (now DD) parts need act of congress to get even with great dealer support.(i run 5 blizzards) Boss makes a great plow i know guy's who use them commercial with no problems.very strong unit. Warranty work has been no problem they say.Parts are easy to get next day on anything. Sno-way i don't know anyone that has one or has ever had one and i have never seen one.
    I would say if i need a new unit i would go boss.

6. fireside

fireside Senior Member

If you go with a blizzard most hydrolic parts I get from my local guy at half the cost of blizzard. Most are standard item's and he stocks all of them.

7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

it all just depends.... what are you plowing... if your doing driveways, i would highly consider the snow way with DP. boss has really fast, nice Hyros.... dont know alot about blizzard,

8. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

How about a curtis? They all suck the same anyway!:)

9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

thats true... im picking all new plows simply based on color- not really ...for the most part they do all suck the same....

10. 76CHEVY

76CHEVY Member

I would say open a fisher / western dealer and make a killing in your area.

11. DJMAUCTION

DJMAUCTION Member

Smartest Thing I Ever Read On This Site

That had my eyes tearing of laughter and joy, as finnaly someone said something that was correct, funny, educational and lets just say. the perfect answer to this un answerable (Did I kill that word), question !:drinkup:

12. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Another 2¢ opinion

Ok, since you asked for opinions concerning plows made by Blizzard, Boss, & SnoWay, I'll give you mine, since I have plowed commercially with all 3 brands, with the following years of time on these brand plows:
    SnoWay: 8 years
    Boss V: 5 years
    Blizzard SW: 1 year (last winter)
    Here's my breakdown based on my experience and my conditions,...

The Snoway I owned was an 8' w/DP, and was an early-mid 90's model (93 or 94 I believe). I have 2 complaints with SnoWays, and maybe these have been addressed since I owned one,... 1) I really don't like having the entire hydraulic package mounted & sitting on the A-frame. I could never keep up with nuts & bolts rattling loose (even after lock-titeing all of them with red), and with hydraulic fittings coming loose & cracking off, leaking, etc. It's all subjected to every vibration, impact, jarring, etc. that one incurrs while plowing (I plow no pavement,... all gravel & dirt). Plus, you have the added strain on the lifting system picking up that extra weight thousands of times over. The added weight for scraping, etc, is of no benefit with DP. Plus, with that added weight hanging out farther in front of your truck because of it being mounted like that, driving down the highway & hitting dips, etc in the road, made the "bounce" worse, which is harder on everything, including the truck. 2) This was the first year (I think) that SnoWays were black, from red, (toby can correct me if that's wrong), and this was the weakest plow I've ever had (structure-wise). I would break out the lexan 1-3 times every year (-40° & -50° temps were beyond what was intended I think), but after 2-3 years, I had re-welded every joint, corner, brace, on that whole plow, and it just got worse with each year, as the metal got "fatigued". My opinion at the time was, that since the frame of the plow did not have the advantage of being tied together with the moldboard, it just couldn't be built strong enough to take hitting rocks etc, since those impact loads couldn't be "shared" with the moldboard and spread out thru-out the whole plow. That may or may not be true, but that is my opinion. I built angled wings for that plow back in 1995, and there was no one in the country that could plow a lot faster than me. (I had never seen or heard of anyone doing that back then, but several others around here copied mine when they saw what I did). And of course, this plow was much more of a pain to take on & off the truck, but all brands have greatly improved this area from 12- 14 years ago. Boss next,...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  13. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Boss 9.2 V-blade

My Boss V- blade I bought new in the fall of 2003, and even tho this plow has allowed me to plow places & conditions that I have never been able to before, it has also been the plow that has given me more trouble with the main hydraulics, than all others put together. Maybe I got a lemon, I don't know, but for the first 3½ years, I burned up 3 pumps and 1 motor. Boss claimed to have the fastest hydraulics, and maybe they do, but I felt that my dealer (all plow dealers are about 250 miles away from me) never corrected what was wrong in the first place (my oil would turn black in less than a month of plowing), so I turned to the Boss factory rep themselves, and they have gone far & away beyond the call of duty to help me fix my problems,... sending me 2 complete hydraulic units & a new set of Smartlocks free,... 2 years after my warrantee was expired! (The packing in my Smartlocks was disinegrating for some unknown reason, which was turning my oil black & contaminating my fluid with millions of small black specks of packing, and wrecking the pump). Tried 3 different types of fluids, nothing changed. Also, with wings installed, this plow weighs just over 1000lbs, and it broke my truck in half,.. literally! I've posted pictures, etc of that, so that's something else to consider. But on 2-3 foot dumps, there is no other plow that will allow me to get in & clear some places than a V. Even if all it did was to give me that first pass in,.. without that, I would spend 3-5 times as long chewing my way in with a straight blade. I've gone into narrow roads now that the snow was so deep I had to crawl out the window, because I couldn't open the doors. But if none of these conditions would apply to you, then they aren't of any benefit.

14. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Blizzard 8.6 Speedwing

Then last year I bought a Blizzard Speedwing, as a backup plow to my Boss, but used it almost all last winter, since it was on warrantee. The speed & conveinence of the Speedwing is really really nice. The wings are always in the position you want, and with the simple controls of a straight blade. But, as with the SnoWay, the hydraulic package is mounted on the A-frame, which I did not care for, and as I feared, I had bolts & hoses come loose almost immediately, and even the plastic cover would not stay on until I wrapped a bungee cord around it. (It's tough tho,.. because I ran it over twice, and it survived that). It has been stated more than once & by more than one person, that Blizzards will scrape better than any other plow, and I would probably agree with that,... but depending on your conditions, that may not always be an advantage. I did a test last winter between my Boss & Blizzard on plowing, including scraping, and as you can see in the picture the Blizzard scraped harder & deeper than the Boss (which out-weighs the Blizzard by almost 300 lbs). The Blizzard is on the left, the Boss did the right side,... but the Blizzard for sure kicked up more dirt & therfore less snowpack than the Boss did.

But the drawback to scraping better, is that windrowing suffers. That's because the main feature of scraping is attack angle of the cutting edge to the ground, not just weight. The Blizzard plow is angled more forward than the Boss. which scrapes better, but also wants to throw the snow more forward than up. So once your snowbanks get to be about twice as high as your blade, you have to go faster & faster and soon can no longer get the snow out of the road, and you're just throwing it ahead of you. Last winter we had one of the least snowy winters we've had in many years in my area, and still towards the end, the Blizzard just couldn't really maintain my driveways anymore,... and on a heavy year, it just won't do it. I have never had a condition where this happened with the Boss. So, if having 5' or higher snowbanks is not something you have to contend with, then the windrowing ability of the Blizzard wouldn't be much of a factor. For me, it would shut me down if that's all I had. But early on, and in places such as parking lots, etc., a Blizzard is as nice & simple & fast of a plow to plow with as I have ever used. Hope this gives you more to chew on,... :waving:

Blizzard on left, Boss on right (Custom).JPG

Blizz 9 (Custom).JPG

15. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

good post alaska:nod::nod:

16. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Wow great write up...lock this thread dow and make it a sticky....holy crap!:waving:

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

What is your average sno fall?
    What conditions are you going to be using this plow? iE
    narrow roads , drives, small lots. big lots.

the what, how and where play a big roll.
    straight or v blade.....

so many plows

18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Good write up AK Boss.

You also have a new pm.

19. Paul Torunski

Paul Torunski Junior Member
    from canada

I would first like to thank Alaska Boss for that fantastic write up on the plows, that was wonderful information, thank you very much.
    Couple answers for the questions that I found:
    1) I am looking to purchase a 2009 Ford F-250 FX4 5.4L V8,
    2) I work for a golf course and I am buying this for the winter staff to work on the Clubs parking lot mainly and couple of survice roads on the golf course.
    3) We are located in Toronto, Canada and snow fall varies with every year last year was a record year I think we got 10 feet on average we get 4 feet.
    4) This is my research I believe asking guys that do it for a living is the best research you can do as long as it's answered honestly, and not playing favroites like Alaska Boss did thank you.

20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd say for a golf course just to get a normal straight blade if your going to have a bunch of employees running the truck. It just has less stuff to break vs. a power plow where the wings don't like hitting everything you can find to hit.