1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

blizzard plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by duh, Feb 10, 2004.

1. duh

duh Junior Member

I've been looking to get a plow for my dodge 2500 diesel and i just started looking at the blizzard plow, anyone have any feed back about this plow as far as performance and price, any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Never used one, but I have a buddy who is a dealer. I personally don't care for their design. The 810 is an expandable plow, very cool, but also very very heavy. The mounting system also encourages leaving the light tower on the truck, which isn't appealing to me. Blizzard plows have a lot of similar qualities as a Boss, due to the fact that the guy who started Blizzard is the son of the guy who started Boss. Boss to me is a superior brand in the way the plow mounts to the truck and overall design...but thats just my opinion.
  3. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I don't know alot about the Blizzards either. I have a friend who bought the Blizzard with the expandable wings. He also put a big Boss sander in the back of the same pickup. I'm waiting hear about one of the worms he has running it tearing one of the wings off. It concerns me with that much weight in the pickup, if he hits something with one of those wings that won't move, he'll do some serious damage. I'm personally a Boss owner and very happy. I've been plowing for about 5 years now and the plow still looks like the day I installed it (we have no salt in our country). My 9'2" Boss poly V may out weigh the Blizzard but I'm not sure. I think my Boss weighs about 965 LBS. Anyway good luck in you search.
  4. This is my first season with the blizzard 810 on my dodge 3500 and I love it. They are heavy, about the same as your boss 9.2 V. As far as the light tower goes, you can leave it on if you wish, but I take it off w/ the plow, about an extra 30 sec. Now, every plow has there advantages and disadvantages. The larger the lots you plow, the more the blizzard shines. There is no truck snowplow that will clear a large parking lot faster than a blizzard 810 or 8611. Not even a V. I was hoping to shave 1/3 off of my times going from a 9ft strait blade to my 810. Well, I cut my times in half! I plow large lots that have no travel time in between, that's why I have realized such a time savings. If your route has alot of travel time your results will not be as good as mine. I have about 200hrs on mine with no problems other than the stickers coming off. They have been replaced by blizzard. They cost around the same as the V plows - I paid $4400. They get hard to find this time of year, as the company always builds way more than they expect to sell, but always run out. BTW, anything less than 10ft will make your cummins lazy.
  5. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I have a blizzard 810 and LOVE IT ,i have had no problems at all with mine.

:D Do a search and you will see all the happy post.:D

6. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I watched the video on the website and they show that every part of the plow can trip, so that is not an issue.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I highly recomend a blizzard . This is one of two that I own
  8. duh

duh Junior Member

thanks for all the input, it is really appreciated but i decided to go with a sno-way.
  9. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Homeowner's plow? I do 15 decent size commercial lots and 35 driveways with no problems what-so ever. :rolleyes:
  10. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Although you already decided on a Sno-way, I'll still give my .02 on the Blizzard 810 I bought a few weeks ago. Just in case anyone else is wondering.

1. Very heavy duty construction- Like nothing else on the market.
    2. Expanding wings make moving large piles easy.
    3. Pretty good hydraulic system- comparable to anything else out on the market.

1. I bottom out a lot going into driveways and parking lots because the mounting point is so low to the ground. Both the rear of the A-frame and Power Hitch arm scrape. It just makes you think a little before entering a driveway or parking lot.
    2. Poor quality control (at least on mine) with regards to the light tower. I discovered that they (either the dealer or Blizzard themselves) drilled 1 of the headlight mounting hole wrong. The hole wasn't drilled vertically in the center of the tube. It was drilled at a forward angle, so I had to redrill the hole to get the headlight adjusted properly.
    3. Poor electrical connectors- much like over sized trailer connectors. Not the easiest to connect. In fact, the first time I had the plow out, after about 45 minutes, the blade won't go up or down. After inspecting the hydraulics and finding them to be fine, I noticed that the 2 ends of the main electrical connector out front had come loose. I guess this is partial operator error.

Overall, I like the set-up and I haven't had any real problems with it. However, I may be making some modifications in the future to make it "better". At least better in my opinion.

11. redrocket

redrocket Junior Member

I've logged about 35 hrs on my new 810- only problem i notice is it loves to cut sod if you get off the gravel. My c-8 didn't do much of this even w/out shoes. I think its because the cutting edge on the wings is slightly ahead of the straight 8' edge and likes to grab. only notice this when i'm trying to buck piles. Other than that i'm a believer.
  12. jhook

jhook Senior Member

This is perfect. I was just going to ask you guys if anyone was using the 810. I should be getting a new pickup in the fall and was looking to put one of these on it. I will have a 2500 HD GMC - I am running a 2001 now and will update to a 2004.