1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DJC, Aug 14, 2003.

1. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Has anyone used the Blizzard plows????? I moved to Michigan from Maine. I had over 100 accounts before moving here. About the only plow in Maine is the Fisher........ I work for my father-in-law. We have a lawn care service and thinking about adding snowplowing. The plow will be going on a 2002 F-250 power stroke. I looked at a video of the Blizzard plow's but not sure..... Any input.......... THANKS !!!

2. jpl

jpl Member
    from ct.

DJC,

The only thing I will say is that I will never plow with a straight blade again. Time savings and increased productivity is amazing, which produces greater profits. In my opinion it's the only plow to use for the plowing professional.

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

The problem with blizzard in maine, is lack of dealers

Geoff

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I does look like a great plow from the video.JD plower had got one for his bobcat this past winter.I would have to say it's a plus when you can go from 8' to 10' to do a parking lot then go back to8' for transport.

5. DJC

DJC Senior Member

I loved Fisher plows........... I'm married and have lived in MI for 4 years. I just like the retractable blade from the blizzard

6. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

I have a couple Blizazard 810 questions...

1. Has anyone got one of these on a crew cab short bed 7.3 powerstroke truck? More importantly- have you scaled it to determine front axle weight? (I have a 5200# front)

2. What are you guys who are shopping seeing for an installed price? The only dealer in my area is at 4700 installed... Sounds a little steep for what I've seen on some web sites. Feels like they're capitalizing on the newness and the fact that they are the only outlet in the area.

7. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I have a blizzard 810 on a 3500 ext cab with a duramax and it seems to hold the weight fine.I bought the plow and truck in the spring so i havent plowed with it yet and i am looking forward to it.

8. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I have a 2003 F350SD PSD crew cab. I use a western MVP, which is close to weight with a Blizzard, I think. I've had no problems with the 03 or the F250SD PSD that it was on before this one.

9. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

I have two 810's and one of them went on my 94 f-350 which had a Diamond on it. Ripped off the Diamond and scrapped it. All I can say is if your still plowing with a straight blade your in the dark ages

plow7.jpg

10. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

That looks like a pretty sweet plow rig you've got there, Pro! I've been stumbling around the forum enough to see your install pics. I'm generally pretty impressed with the product, but the dealer in my area is in their first season with blizz. and I'm a bit concerned that a) they are a little expensive and b) who knows if they'll continue with the product line two years from now. I'm also wondering about the 1 yr warranty compared to the 2 on a western... Ive had western, I'm comfortable with western, and the dealer is close with EXCELLENT service... but man that power plow looks slick. The guys I plow with say "go western" my inner MAN says "get the coolest toy you can and write it off"

My friends are losing...

11. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

FYI

Portsmouth (N.H.) Ford advertises a Blizzard 7.5 straight blade installed for $2795

12. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

EZSnow,

Have a couple of 350 PSD Club cabs and Super cabs running here with 810's. Haven't put them on a scale yet. Guess I should add that to the list. All had the #6000 front rating. My suggestion is to upgrade to that or the #7500 load leveling option. Your PSD should have had the #6000 from the factory so I'd be complaining there. I've got a 350 V10 with 115,000 on it. Had an 810 hanging on it more than not most of it's life. Still has factory ball joints and tie rod ends. Just passed PA inspection with out a problem. As for the new dealer. I'm sure that there are several within 3 hrs of you in a pinch. The price is not really out of line. Most 810's go for $4400-$4700 installed. The $2795 for the 760 LT is not out of line either. $2700-#3000 on avg.

Points to ponder.

No trails to clean up.

9'+ every pass.

Super cleaning and stacking ability.

Easy on and off.

Moves alot of snow in a hurry.

Just my .02. but as stated above you won't go back to a straight blade.

Jerre

13. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

God Love Ya Jerre:D

Last edited: Aug 18, 2003
  14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've got the 810 on my '01 F-350, it has saved me a bunch of time over my old straight blade. You can check this thread for a detailed report of my experiences with it.

Jerre has it now making some repairs and updates to it, it will soon be better yet!

If you're shopping Ebay, make sure you're looking at plows with the red valve manifold. There were some of the older units for sale there at about the price you quote that were problem prone. The red manifold is the update to correct the problems.

15. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

what gives on the front axles?

I understood that with the camper package, diesel, and the fx4 stickers... er, uh, off-road package, I got the heaviest axle ratings available for an F-350. 6830# rear, 5200# front, 9900# GVW. Anyway, that's what I have, and I think I'd rather have that with a 7.3 than anything with a 6.0. The dealer I've been working with has an 810 on a supercab 350 PSD with the 4600# front and airbags. Claims no trouble with it.

Just cruised ford's website for specs. It looks to me like you can get 6k springs, but the 5200 limit is b/c that's what the lawyers say the axle axle can handle... maybe mine does have the heavier springs... how do I know? Does anyone have a sticker that actually reads 6k?

All this at the risk of rabbit-trailing.

Thanks for the input on the 810- the people at Blizzard will soon owe you a favor!

-Derek

16. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Take a look at this page for specs...

17. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

Blizzards cant compare to an 8 ft western with a $200 pair of pro-wings/turkey wings. If you bend one up on a forgotten curb or something, pull it off in 15 sec, and bend it right at your shop.
    8 ft with wings gives you just under 10 ft width and you can remove and repair or replace the extensions w/o having it be part of the blade.
    On second thought, seeing how cut throat business is getting up here, go ahead and buy the Blizzard. Give me a call when your down making repairs along with the guy who runs a new Dodge 1500 with a v up front and custom back blade expandable to 16 ft, up here. I sending out a truck to follow him around for when his truck snaps in half:p

18. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Keep in mind that many things on trucks are legally underated. This is true for most fronts ends IMO. Many people put 550 front springs into the 350 (easy swap). This will increase front end a little. Pelican did a side by side with the 550 and 350 and I think he only found the springs different.

A little off topic.

I think the Blizzard is a great idea and it sounds like some have had excellent luck with them. Company history still scares me. I just have a hard time buying anything from a relatively new company.

19. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Company history for Blizzard?

They STARTED BOSS! The same family/brothers INVENTED and PATENTED the V plow. Developed that company pretty well Huh?

Reliability?

300 hours in less than 3 months of use of me (February through April of this year). ZERO PROBLEMS. Flipped up manhole covers, ran into curbs, caught edges backdragging and NO PROBLEMS.

Try taking your winged plow through a drive through? Get out everytime you need to take your windrow in the other direction?

Simmillar parts to Western/Boss. And thing is built like a tank.

That is my first hand experience. No guessing, No "what-ifs"

[​IMG]
    Howard

Last edited: Aug 19, 2003
  20. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Technically, here going down the road with a 10' blade hanging off the front of a truck, would require an oversize premit, ( although there is almost no enforcement for snowplows) I think I'd go with the Blizzard

Bill