1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard Plows Discussion 11/12/2012 - 11/16/2012

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Michael J. Donovan, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

Hello Everyone!

Again this year, Blizzard Plows will be hosting a discussion here in their forum. The discussion will begin on Monday 11/12 and run until Friday 11/16. Be sure to read the discussion and feel free to participate.

This open discussion will be hosted by Brian Kaat of their Technical Service Department, and Patrick Dietz from their Product Marketing group. Please join them for what is sure to be an informative session, and thanks in advance for your participation.
  2. John Murphy

John Murphy Senior Member

Good morning. I just wanted to extend a thanks to Michael Donovan and everyone at PlowSite for allowing us to host this weeks discussion.

As Michael indicated, our public discussion will be hosted by Brian Kaat of our Technical Service Department, and Patrick Dietz, our Product Marketing Manager.

We look forward to addressing any of your questions, and thanks in advance for your participation. And, thank you for your business.

John Murphy
    VP, Sales
    Douglas Dynamics
  3. Patrick Dietz

Patrick Dietz Member

Thanks Michael!

Morning plowsite folks! Looking forward to the week, and answering whatever questions you might have or whatever topics you feel like digging into. Like past discussions, should be a worthwhile thread!

Patrick Dietz
  4. blizzardtech

blizzardtech Sponsor
    from midwest

Good Morning!

Once again I am looking forward to answering your questions for the week. This forum is an excellent opportunity to get answers directly from a factory representative.

Brian Kaat
    Blizzard Snowplows
    Senior Technical Service Representative
  5. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Are any updates planned for the line in the future? I am looking into to replacing my 2 ph1 810s next season and still a little leery on the ph2.

Also, the 86110lp is on the ph2 while the 8611 is ph1 still?
  6. Patrick Dietz

Patrick Dietz Member

@ maelawncare,

Thanks for the post!

We're always looking for ways to improve our lineup, with line extensions and new product introductions, etc. Can't provide specifics on exactly what (sorry), but stay tuned. But if your curious if you would encounter any wiring or undercarriage obsolescence issues if you upgraded your current 810's to the PH2 platform, then no...you would not. No immediate plans to change the mount platform or move away from our Fleet Flex wiring system, so you can rest assured that what you'd be buying would be current product.

As for the 8611 and 86110LP question: yes, you are correct. The 8611 still utilizes the PH1 mount system, and the 86110LP has been moved to the PH2 system.

Good to hear you're looking to turn some units in your fleet. Turning the plows with the trucks..., and getting some new trucks?

Lastly, because you "broke the seal" on the discussion, go ahead and PM me your contact information. Would like to send a jacket for being 1st to post!

7. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Wow a jacket! Does the second to post at least get a hat? LOL!

Wish I had a question, but I really don't. All my plows are PH1 plows and due to the light winter last year have no issues. Maybe looking into a new V Box and the ice chaser is on the short list.
  8. Patrick Dietz

Patrick Dietz Member

@ lilweeds,

Tell you what, Like us on Facebook, and I am sure you'll have plenty of opportunities to get a hat! Next year, jump on the thread earlier! Perhaps I'll give away a plow next time! (Doubt it though).

Glad to hear all your PH1's are still running sharp. Which ones you got?

As for your short list items, good luck in the new purchase! Hard not to like our Ice Chaser poly spreaders. Poly + Dual Electric + Hard Lids + Troubleshooting Diagnostics in Control. etc. A nice complement to your PH1's.............

Thanks for the business,
  9. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

Man don't trade them ph1's in for ph2's you will be going from good to worse, we have (4) ph1's and we will run them till they blow up can't convince me in replacing, our units are 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005
  10. maelawncare

Heck yea, I love jackets. I tried PMing you but it wouldn't let me.

Glad to hear that about the plows. I was very vocally against the PH2 when it first came out. But it looks like you guys have the kinks worked out pretty well.

I am replacing plows not trucks. Bought a 2008 Silverado 3500 and have to have, well I wont mention his name, custom make a mount since it came out after the PH2 switchover. I wanted to go ahead and upgrade to the new models this year, but this dry summer and dry last winter really put a damper on the pocket book. So have to keep it one more season.

Still wont even think of switching brands. I love my blizzards and think there is nothing more efficient than a 810 and 8611.
  11. maelawncare

That is what I have been saying for the last few years. But my slide boxes are starting to wear out the inside of the plow. I could spend the same amount fixing it as it would be just to replace it. Plus, hey new plow. :)
  12. fci

fci Senior Member

13. lilweeds

MAE, I know we chatted about this, but the 08 uses the same mount all the way back to 01. Not sure who's telling you different, but attached is a print out of the power match!

Attached Files:

14. lilweeds

Patrick, I'm already on ya with the FB. Not sure if I get all the posts, but FB is a pain that way. Currently I have 2-810's and an 860SW. Great plows.

I do now have a question. Someone told me that some revisions were going to be done to the speedwing? Any truth to that? If so what can we expect to see? Given mine is more of a backup, but some areas I actually like that one better.
  15. Patrick Dietz

Patrick Dietz Member

@ maelawncare

@ maelawncare,

That would be a little tacky of me- telling you to PM me, and then it not working! Sorry about that. Give it another shot. A new account, and the settings weren't enabled.

And hey, understandable on the need to carryover. The small snowfall (unless you were in Denver or Alaska) made last year a challenge. No doubt. You hate for the lows to be THAT low, but I suppose that is why there are "averages"...
  16. Patrick Dietz

Patrick Dietz Member

@ 4700dan,

Thanks for the post. Well, by the sounds of it, unless your PH1's blow to a million pieces, it doesn't sound as if you're looking to make the change into PH2's anytime soon. But out of curiosity, why the notion that you'd be going from Good (PH1) to Worse (PH2)?

17. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Hi Patrick - I currently have 6 8611 LP's, 1 810, 6 86110lp's, and 3 680Lt's.

So you might say I am fairly loyal to Blizzard's. I do feel that there are many issues with the older the plows get that are not properly dealt with by throwing parts at them.

Most of the older 8611 Lp's are slowly getting lower to the ground. The local supplier says that we need to spend about $1000 per blade to redo the power hitch areas with new parts so that the blades sit higher. This isn't really an option, and the lower they sit, the more issues we have with the edges being damaged and premature wear on the bottom of the power hitch's.

We feel that Blizzard knows of this issue and has done little to solve it expect ask us to spend lots of money on upgrading with the same parts that will have the same issues again.

Please let me know if you know of any other options.

We also feel that the paint job issue is still not being solved. I saw a 7 year old Boss yesterday that I didn't believe was 7 years old. My blizzards look 5 years old after 2 seasons. I know being white vs. red doesn't help, but i looked closely at this Boss and didn't see rust on the welds like my blizzards have.

I also feel that Blizzard has got to start dealing directly with Dealers... I have bought many many of my Blades from the states because I cannot afford the Canadian prices. $3000 in my pocket for a 4 hour drive is very hard to resist... the distributor in Canada/Ontario is hurting your reputation in a sense by keeping the prices so high. The brand is being hurt.

Overall, I love the blades, but these issues do bother me and I was curious about your responses.

18. maelawncare

Jerre told me so. He said in 2008 they changed things up a bit. If I had headlights with clips than the old mounts will work. But if they had bolts/screws than I need custom. My headlights have bolts to hold them in. So I guess it is a 2008.5 Pus the one you posted said gas. Mine is a duramax. Dont know if that makes a difference.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  19. maelawncare

Have some of the same issues with my 2003. Time is just taking it's toll on the whole unit. Are your units PH1 or PH2?

I also agree with the paint, at least on mine and my buddies PH2 810. The powder coat job SUCKS. I repaint my plows every year. Complete tear down sand down the rust spots and new paint. An air chisel thingy I got works real good on breaking off the rust. Would be nice not to have repaint these things every year. And yes I was after every storm before coming home and apply fluid film. They are also stored inside in the off season. So paint is a big issue.
  20. Patrick Dietz

Patrick Dietz Member

@ lilweeds,

Regarding your post on the Speedwing, and some revisions: Yes, we did make some significant improvements to the design, heading into this Spring. Overall, they focused around further improving the durability and serviceability of the unit. Improvements included:

1) Strengthened the wings, by making the hinge assembly & back-side torque box more robust.

2) Improved the strength/base of the moldboard, by using a high-strength 1/4" formed steel channel, vs angle iron.

3) Increased the length of the moldboard, to provide more support to the wing assembly - minimize/reduce possibility of wing hyper-extension

4) Improved the profile of the wing assembly (outermost profile), to reduce any damage that might occur when running curbs.

5) Made the wing cutting edges slotted/adjustable, so you can get more hours out of them...vs having to deal with uneven wear.

6) Simplified the cable adjustment process, by relocating the adjustment of the cable assembly from the hinge area inward. Easier to service, but also makes the cable less susceptible to being pinched in the wing assembly.

Other than that..........................

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.