1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard Plow....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John Allin, Sep 20, 2002.

1. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Old dogs can learn new things......

I had occassion recently to get a close look at the redesigned and upgraded Blizzard Plow. I have badmouthed Blizzard in the past, and believe that my assessment at the time was valid (do a search for specifics).

However, I am impressed with the redesign. The problems I saw a few years ago with the hydralic hoses being inaccessible have been recitified. I had some techincal discussions with some people at Blizzard that have altered my feelings about the "tweaking" problem that could cause the extensions not to operate. I now believe (from what I saw) that this percieved problem has been alleviated.

I have not yet purchased a Blizzard Plow - but I might do so soon.

AND, they have a Blizzard plow for skid steers (with the extending wings) that I was REALLY impressed with.... THAT purchase might take place for this winter.....

I've made this post because I know there are people out there that follow what I have to say - and I have not shied away from making prior feelings known about Blizzard plows.....

At this juncture - I think that Blizzard has actually "listened" to us here, and have made some strides in rectifying several things on their units. I'll be interested in what others think once they see the new units up close and personal......

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

They have made quite a spash here recently in this area. I currently know of three people who have, or are thinking of , buying the 810 this month. (I am one). They sure are tempting. If all I was doing was 4 acre commercial it would be a no brainer, but what about in my small commercial stuff, like Dr. offices and Banks, bread and butter accounts for us ?

My biggest hangup now, is how much am I going to miss the tight scoop of the Boss V, in bank drive-thrus, between parked cars, etc. I hate to be back to a straight blade in those situations, and I guess the only scoop I have with the 810 is fully extended at about 9' 3".

What to do, what to do........:confused:
  3. John Allin

I don't for a minute think they will be the cure all to end all.....but if they are what they seem to be (now), once we find the place for them - they should be a good, productive unit. One more alternative to the standard 7.5 ft. straight.....
  4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

As with all other styles of plows, the Blizzard excels in some areas and has detriments in others. You have to weigh them against your operation. Glad you're on board, JA!:drinkup:
  5. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

They definitely have there place in our operation. What is nice is that you can get a 10' plow down the road legally. Here in NY you need a snowplow permit for anything over 8'6". I believe the permit cost $90 per plow,plus you need insurance for the permit above your normal vehicle insurance.

We plan on adding several this year to all our new trucks.I believe having both the BossV and the Blizzard plow with speed up our operations making us more efficient.

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

when did blizzard begin doing the redesign? i bought the 810 power plow new last January and was wondering if i got the old design or new. hopefully the new. i havent even had a chance to use it yet since our snowfall here in s. central pennsylvania last year was pitifull.
  7. John Allin

Ya know... I can't answer that one....

The changes are minor, and mostly are around the access to the hydraulic fittings and hoses (changeability)....

Actually, my concerns about changing hoses may not be a concern in a lot of markets. We use the equipment here in Erie abit more than most areas, and with increased frequencies comes increased possibility for problems to arise requiring servicing in the field.
  8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

yes ,but if it has rubber hosed they need to be changed just like the hoses on heavy equipment.That's why good access is key for that plow,and also the fluid change.
  9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

If this is of any help, I spoke with a Blizzard engineer last December, and he told me the first 2 years of production they had a problem with their vendor for the valve manifolds as far as quality control went. They changed vendors, corrected the problems with the valving, and issued a recall on the older plows.

They also added a provision to transport the plow in the event of hydraulic failure, you run the plow up on a snow bank and insert a hitch pin to keep the plow in the raised position.
  10. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I was looking at the Boss skid steer plow, and I didn't realize blizzard had one. It looks like it may be better for what I want to do with my skid steer this winter. Any idea of price comparison?

11. John Allin

None at all. But, I would have to guess that the Blizzard skid steer plow would be a better bet that a V blade (not bashing Boss as I own a good many of them - but they are all for trucks).

One more question-

Can a Blizzard 810 be used with a urethane edge ?
  13. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Idon't believe a urethane edge will work with the Blizzard, I'm pretty sure it will intefere with the operation of the wings. The cutting edge on the wings is pretty unique too, I had asked about universal replacements, I was told replacement edges would have to come from Blizzard.
  14. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Hope your seminars over the last few weeks have all been good. It was good to see you got a chance to check out the plow's up close. I've got a few tuned up and ready for install......Hint Hint...

I'll try to help guys out with BLIZZARD plow Questions as much as I can.

I've mounted 810's on 80's - 2002 Ford's, Cheve's and Dodges. Got a few on Skid Steers and an 8611 ( which goes from 8'6" to 11'3" )on a 650 Ford dump truck.

Have had super feedback from the owners... they keep recommending them to friends.

Don't forget guys they make straight blades to. 7' and 7'6" for light trucks and 7'6" and 8' for heavy trucks.

As for the question POLY PLOW EDGES ON 810's yes you can but it's not a direct bolt on you've got to do a little work because of the wings but on high end parking lots or where the need is there it's well worth it.

Jerre Heyer
    Jerre's Service
    Erie's home of the Blizzard Power Plow
  15. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I stand corrected.

Thanks Jerre-

If you happen to have any pics of an 810 with urethane, I would love to see what is involved.
  17. Maverick

Maverick Senior Member

I tried a power plow last season on a Duramax powered truck similar to mine and it worked ok I guess. The snow does shoot up between the main plow and the wings when angled forward though. Depending on how picky you are you may have to make a second pass to clean up the trails of snow. My main dislike the big honking controller box. That thing takes up half the cab. The rocker switches are a joke and the joystick is alittle better but its to big. If they made a pistol grip controller I would highly consider a power plow for myself for my other truck an 01' GMC Ext. Cab SB Duramax. Is anything in the works to get rid of the big controller box?
  18. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

Blizzard made a new controller. Its a touch pad with lighted buttons and is only like the size of 3 by 3 box. It also comes with a holder that can be straped to your leg. The Blizzard rep was at my shop last week and showed me this. They might be comming out with more better and smaller controllers in the next couple of years.

Hey Troy, welcome to the site !

Sounds like the Blizzard crew made the rounds around here last week !

Where are you from , the G.R. area ?
  20. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

Im in holland.