1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard (plow) update

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pelican, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

You may remember a couple months ago I had asked about the Blizzard plows and there were few who had tried them. Well I antied up my $4200 and brought home their model 810 with the extendable 1 foot wings.

I opted to mount the plow myself and when I opened the crate, I must say I was very impressed with the quality of construction. The A frame has large angle iron rails and the rear crossmember is a large diameter rectangular tube. The mounting points are 1/2" plate and the angling pistons are 1 3/4" in diameter! I've never seen pistons this big on a pickup plow before. The back of the moldboard is boxed in for strength and all welds are continuous, not stitch type commonly found on snowplows. This may be trivial, but the paint finish is so glossy you can see yourself in it.

The plow went together faily easily, the directions were clear and everything fits like it's supposed to. The hardest part was connecting all the hoses to the manifold, which is milled from a single piece of aluminum. It has a bunch of solenoid valves that look just like those on my Diamond manifold.

The subframe went on with no problems, every thing fit well. There are a total of 10 1/2" and 9/16" grade eights holding the frame to the truck and again the crossmember is a heavy gauge rectangular tube.

If this plow works as well as it's built, I'll have made a wise investment. I'll bring this post back after I've used it a few times and let you know how it works. That is, if we ever get some snow...
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

have fun with your new toy. yes, pray for snow.
  3. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Thanks for the update. I'll be interested in your time savings as well. That is where you are going to see a big difference.

It took a leader to buy it and then admit it on plowsite where the norm is to resist anything new and different. You will never see me ripping on anybody for being a leader and making bold steps into the future.
  4. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

I just read an old thread on the plowsite and was amazed. http://plowsite.vbulletinhosting.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4049

The fact is, most opinions WERE from speculators. And anyone can see that there are a lot of people here that do reject new ideas and change. Many people here are unwilling to even try a urethane edge. And many people don't think a V plow is worthy of the price. And many won't consider using wings. And it also amazes me how some of you guys ever got past pulling a pin to angle your plow! How long after angle cylinders were first used would you guys have waited before considering them "proven"? How about power windows? And how long before the Blizzard 810 is considered proven? We all usually wait till the second year of a new truck model. Does a new plow model take longer for some reason?

A new member had asked a question and made an observation (a fairly good observation IMO) and what did he get?

Acused of speaking before thinking.
    And sarcasm from many, even from John Allin (which I truly wouldn't have expected)

Only after he appoligized did he get any sort of a welcome to plowsite. And yes, many did then appoligize to him. But in my opinion, he shouldn't have had to appoligize for making an observation that is so obvious to many of us when the most modern design idea that some people here have on their plow IS angle cylinders. He is just one of the few that had the balls to say it. And looks like he still has them since he went ahead and bought the Blizzard.

This is just one more instance where I have seen outright rudeness to new members, often from a moderator. There is no excuse for that type of treatment to new users. And I am sure that there are many here that agree with me, even if they are still new or unregistered in fear of being treated the same way if they speak out.

What really gets me, is that there were 3 moderators that took part in the hazing of a new member making his first post.

I have just two words.
    Very Unprofessional.
  5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

It does take more than a few years to proove a new plow design.
    Fisher had recall all their first year run v plow for new a frames.
    But fisher sells alot of plows and deisng problems will show, they are also used in a wide market area.
    Blizzard has a few obstacles to overcome.
    1- they are a new company, no track record
    2- they have a new design, that is used by very few operators, as can be seen that we really only have two members here that own blizzards,and only one has the plow in question, that as of yet, hasnt pushed flake 1.
    I think it is a very aggressive design, and perfect for the commercial operator. However, until someone puts a few hundred hours one that unit, and can report some feedback, I can understand why we are aprehensive. I did hear first hand from director of operation at Denver Intl airport that they have a few blizzard plow and have had breakdowns with the units.
    Truck models will generate 10's if not 100's of thousands units in a model year, so design and mechanical issues will show up very early. They also get alot more use than just 10-20x that a plow might be used in an average winter.
    Also the blizzard design might work well for 2-3 years and then start developing problems. So we need a long term tester for to find such things out.
    Like Alan mentioned in the thread you highlighted, I am not going to be a 4200.00 beta tester.
    it is very similar to the hinker c plow,good design idea, but I also dont want to be the beta tester on that unit either.
    Which is why straight plows are still the most common plow sold.
    FWIW, pelican I hope that plow is worth every dime you payed for it, and we all look like fools for doubting the design. We all work to hard for our money to buy a poor product.
  6. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Good luck on your new plow. I have looked at them recently, and was impressed with several things. Glad to hear the fit/finish is of high quality.

How much does it weigh?

Think snow, no Think BLIZZARD.

7. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Even I question the usefulness of the Hinniker C plow which is not even close to the same idea. But just think, two u-edges on each plow. $$$ LOL

1) Yes Blizzard is a new company compared to the likes of Meyer and Western to name just a few. But Boss was once a new company, and although I don't know for sure, I would think Blizzard has some key employees that have been around this field for awhile.

2) We may only have one Blizzard owner that has courage to let it be known in the face of heavy opposition. :) Kind of like admitting you are a Detroit Lions fan this year. uummm no, I don't live in Michigan. :rolleyes:

The fear of being a beta tester is what slows down all great ideas. I'm sure Dino that you have seen that with the urethane edges. Sometimes heads can be so thick that there is little room for new ideas.
  8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I really hate to take another thread off topic, but $ 300.00 to try a u edge is alot easier to swallow than 4K for a plow.
    At times it may seem somewhat hard to sell, but for the most part, people know a good idea when they see it. The blizzard is a great idea, and if they will hold up over time, then they have a real winner.
    Now a blizzard with a u edge, now that may be something.
    Anotehr thing for alot of us to consider, is that staying with one brand of plow makes parts and maint alot easier. Having one off brand in the fleet adds extra money for maint items, and parts, not to mention learning a new product to repair as well.
    Also dealer support is key, and there just isnt to many of them yet.
  9. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Nor will there ever be, if people aren't willing to take a step forward.
  10. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Actually they've sold quite a few.

Where they're hurting is that they're not getting many repeat buyers.
  11. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I had posted on another thread regarding the Blizzards that I had spoken with the manufacturer's engineer about the rumors that had popped up on my original inquiry that I had posted here, and he said in their first year of production they had problems with the hydraulics due to quality control of one of their suppliers. He stated they switched suppliers for the manifold assembly and have had no problems since. The dealer told me they recalled all the original plows and replaced the manifold with the new unit. That sounds like they'll stand behind their product.

I am a bit apprehensive about buying a relatively new design, but after talking with the factory reps and looking at the quality of construction I feel this is a good product. I am confident this plow will cut 30% or better off my plow time. I'll keep you posted. Listen, I fought CD's until the day they pulled the last vinyl disc off the shelf, now my daughter doesn't even know what a record is!

The published weight of this plow setup is 980 pounds, about the same as the Diamond I am replacing. I added another controversial product, Timbren Load Boosters.
  12. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Kent, you must have posted while I was typing. Hunt & peck.

The dealer I bought my plow from stated for every two he has sold, he has either sold a second to a previous customer or that customer has referred another to him. He has sold all the plows he is able to get for this season and thought he could sell 60 more.
  13. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Is that hearsay, an assumption, or a fact that you can provide the source of.
  14. Kent Lawns

Come from production numbers when I visited the factory. I'm not going to publish exact numbers, but I have them for each year.

The production of the 810 unit has declined since their big 1999 intro.

Their straight blades have kinda caught on and their construction oriented "Rock-It" blades have saved the day production-wise.
  15. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Are you telling me that they gave you production numbers? Which of course cannot be verified. They must have given the numbers to you in confidence, and you were sworn to never reveal that confidential information. So we'll call this hearsay since it cannot be verified.

And of course the production would be lower the second year even if they sell the same amount the second year. They do have dealers that stock them, so the dealers would have to fill their inventory the first year.

Being that these plows are a serious threat to the other manufacturers. It wouldn't surprise me if other factory reps are using their influence to discourage their dealers from taking on the Blizzard line as well as starting rumors.

Bringing a new product to market is not an easy task. Dealers that don't care to carry a whole new line of plows and parts inventory, salesmen that are reluctant to learn about the new line, consumers that are reluctant to try anything new......

Even if they did have low sales numbers, they are already a success. Many new products don't make it this far. Boss went through this with the V plow. And it is here to stay.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2001
  16. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Getting mine Wednesday

Good luck Pelican, I am getting an 810 wednesday and will send in my input. I know two contractors near me who have them. One is very big and has plowed for 35 yrs he has fisher, Boss -V plows, Meyers, and one Western municipal. He just bought his second Blizzard and says he wont plow with anything else. The other contractor is small time, but has said he also likes his 810. I guess me and you will be the Guinea pigs and find out how they perform. I know its a gamble but so were V-plows. I myself will take a chance with new tech.
  17. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

Glad to see Pelican is happy, As I have said before I own the Blizzard straight plow and the construction, quality, and "way it works" are awesome. I am especially pleased with the hookup system, very slick. :)
  18. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Is your moldboard boxed as well? This is the same technology used on modern excavating equipment. Very strong. Those considering a new straight plow might want to take a look at this one too. The ends are like a reversed funnel like the one way highway plows and ought to roll snow real well. The undercarriage is the same as the 810, very stout.
  19. Kent Lawns

One of my favorite quotes:

"Never explain.
    Your friends don't need it.
    Your enemies don't believe it."
  20. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

The company I work with has a blizzard 810 and it has been a great plow exept for one problem in the begining, the hydrloylic connection where leaking at the manifold. A little teflon tape on all the connections solves that problem and since then it's worked great. I plowed a couple lots with it and it reay does save time with the wings. It;s a good plow.