1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard Plow Questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Turfmower, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I was looking for a plow for my new truck seen Blizzard list on this site. I found a dealer but, he said, "you can't get them till next year. They sold out for they year." The power wings look nice, but only seem it in pictures. I have three questions.

The pump motor sits right on road what happens to it riding in the salt ?

The power hook up Why? more thing to go wrong my plows usually on Late December - mid February so on off isn't big deal.

Where do you get parts the one dealer I look didn't have plows, so look like he have to special order every thing. You can get meyer western and fisher parts at every auto parts and there are places that will repair and are open 24 hours when it is snowing.

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Sorry I don't have an answer to your questions but I agree with you. Yes, Blizzards are nice plows but there's to many things I don't like about them. I very happy with my Boss.:nod:

3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Just because he doesn't have any plows doesn't mean he has no parts, Blizzard outsources manifolds (I believe) so their supply of plows is limited by how many manifolds they get.

4. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

Blizzard makes a good plow. They increased production by 60 percent this year and they are still running out.

5. renegade

renegade Junior Member

Turfmower:

If there are no blizzards available in your area, sounds like your choice is a much easier one. I just purchased the last Blizzard 810 in Eastern Canada...so I'm told. I must tell you I have no brand loyalty...not to trucks...and certainly not to snow plows. When I buy, I buy the best available to me at the time, (so long as it's built in North America)...I've always said I'd push a Dodge, Ford, or Chev before I'd drive a Toyota...anyway, I digress

Re: the blizzard. Just look at the thing up close. Look at the design of the fully enclosed hydraulic unit. It tucked neatly behind the moldboard. I would think salt would be a non issue, but give me a few months with the thing...I'll let you know.

Re: power hookup. If you have to ask why, you decidedly do not need it. But if like me, your truck serves as more than just a snow plow, you might consider such a simple system.

Re: Dealer. For many, service is everything. Personally, I've found that I end up dealing with repairs myself, so the fact that my nearest service is 4 hours away was not a critical issue when deciding what plow to buy. Again, look at the unit...the hydraulic pump is an off-the-shelf 12v system...the solenoids and standard issue at most any hydraulic shop. For me, no worries.

As I said, this unit is brand new. Just cleaned up after first major storm this a.m. Too early to make any statements regarding durability, but I'll let everyone know if I have any trouble.

6. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Renegade,
    Happy to hear you are pleased with the 810.
    I'm not sure who you are. I sold one in Woodstock and one in Miramachi. I can still get some 810's if you hear of anybody,but not at a early season sale price. I will have a dealer in your area next year. I am happy to say that everybody is pleased with their Blizzard 810's so far. Drop us a line sometime. I plowed the other night and am happy to say the 810 can almost do the work of two of the other trucks on site. Getting lots of looks from the other drivers. Get Wide ,Stay Wide

7. Bolts Indus.

Turfmower:

Renegade answered your other two questions I believe. My 810 is on 24/7 and the pump island does not get very dirty at all because when the plow is on the aerodynamics shoot wind and dirt etc. away from it. Power hitch is the answer for us old guys tired of fighting with the plow to get it on. I plow commercialy with one and have plowed for years and it's the best thing since power angle.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2004
  8. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Blizzard makes a great plow. I am a Boss fan myself, but love the Blizzard. There are no problems with the pumps. They sit high enough off the ground, and are covered. As far as the quick connect, you will love it when your not laying on the ground trying to get pins to line up. As far as dealer, we got ours from Fords in Jersey. :cool:

9. Bolts Indus.

paponte:

You are right. Bin there, done that, don't want to go back.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2004
  10. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Bolts Indus: I sent you a PM.

Turfmower: I just bought an 810 and love it. It takes some getting used to if you've only used straight plows like me, but it truly is an awesome set-up. The hydraulic system works very well and the pump and valves are definitely well protected. As for the power hitch, I've only had one problem with it. At first, when I try to attach the plow, the "fingers" at the end of the hitch arm, which are designed to draw the plow into the vehicle mount, would rotate upward before the arm. This would cause the "fingers" to make contact with the bottom of the vehicle mount and not draw the plow into the vehicle mount. However, with a little help from the guys on this site, I found the problem and was able to quickly rectified it.

Where about in NJ do you live? I live in the Morristown area and you're more than welcome to stop by, look it over and (it's there's any snow around) take it for a test spin.

Ryan

11. Bolts Indus.

rtm038

I don't live in NJ. I live in Nova Scotia Canada. I'm glad you are happy with your 810. Get wide. Stay Wide.

12. classicman

classicman Member

Hey Bolts

This is just a curiosity question. My local Western dealer keeps techs on duty 24/7 during snow events, and the reason I keep buying there is pretty much that. The local Meyer dealer never got back to me for a quote on a blade, so I never inquired as to if he does the same thing, or for that matter, even visited the place. My curiosity question is: Is my Western guy the exception or the rule in this business- he charges 80 bucks an hour "after hours" which in my book is a real bargain. I know this isn't a "blizzard" question, but again, just curious.

13. ih82plow

ih82plow Senior Member

How much is a blizzard with the wings installed on a truck?

14. Bolts Indus.

Most good dealers have somebody after hours to do repairs. As for 80 dollars an hour, well all i can say is, Are they hiring?

15. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Blizzard

I love my Blizzard. Saves me a bunch of time. Just don't back drag w/the wings extended! Big Mi$take. Other than that, my only other problem is my truck sits a bit higher than stock and the kick stand is not long enough. I'm gonna hafta weld on a 2" or so "foot" to the bottom to compensate.

16. renegade

renegade Junior Member

rcpd34,

Curious as to what damage was caused while back-dragging with extensions out.

Had another chance to try out my 810 this morning...only about 4 inches though, so hardly a test compared to last storm. I must say, I really appreciate the way this unit can manipulate snow around corners...great for doing circle tracks on our huge lot.

So far, I only have one negative comment/question for Blizzard Corp. Why would you build a corvette plow with a chevette light bar? I understand the desire to have it light weight, but fancy the damned thing up a bit!!!

17. bluenite608

bluenite608 Member

i have a Blizzard also, the 800 8foot straight blade so i can not comment on the wings but the rest of the plow is Great. Still new so so far no problems and the hook-up of the plow is just awesome, no lining up anything and no laying on the ground!!! boy miss that!!