1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard Plow Complaints???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PlowVA, Jan 2, 2005.

1. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

Been seeing a lot of complaints about the Blizzard extending wing power plows. So many extra moving parts that can break. I have seen very few complaints about the straight blades. I just purchased the 760LT (haven't had a chance to use it yet!! -no snow-). Has anyone had the problems with the straight blades that the guys with the power plows are having?? Cracked welds, etc...? Just curious...

The reason I went with the Blizzard was the construction of the plow and mounting hardware. I liked the continuous welds (not stitch welded), the extended moldborad and the torque box construction instead of just ribs seemed extra solid.

2. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

I haven't seen to many complaints with the Blizzard plows. After visiting a Blizzard dealer and looking at the 810 power plow very closely, the blades themselves appear to be much stronger than any other blade that I have seen (Western, Fisher, Meyer). The only problems/issues that I know of (have read about or was told by the blizzard dealer) on the new power plows is:

1: Don't backdrag with the wings extended or it could break the spring inside the wings
    2: Keep the wings in on gravel driveways or the gravel could get into the wings.
    3: Use the wings everyonce in awhile if it is slushy out or when you bring the plow home at the end of a storm or the wings could freeze.

Otherwise, the powerplows have been near perfect as far as I know.

Anyway - to answer your question, I have not heard of any issues with the straight blades. They look extremely well built and should last forever under normal use.

-Greg

3. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

GCSupraman. I grew up in Middlebury! Small world, huh?

4. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

Well.. I got to use my 760LT in one storm and with the exception of getting out of the truck atleast once EVERY driveway that I did it was great... make sense? lol.. this is the deal, for some reason, after a few minutes of use, the plow would no longer go right or up.. I would have to get out push the power supply cord in again and start over.. Talked to the dealer, says has 4 complaints from customers with same truck/plow setup and is working on a fix.. in the mean time, nothing a few zip straps wont fix..

[​IMG]

5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

This problem is usually because your truck side plug is too rigid and when you use the plow the plow side cable is wiggling itself loose. Recommend that truck side plug have some give and float to it.

6. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

I was thinking about that scenario the other day. There is no locking mechanism to keep the connection firm. I was guessing that after some good use, the supply cord could just come sliding off. Maybe some velcro instead of zip ties??

7. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

dealer wantes to move it from the mounting plate over to the tow hook?? said the same as you, the plug needs to be able to move with the cable a lil more.. I can forsee snow piling up over the cord when backdragging if i do that though.. time will tell...

8. Exciteable

Exciteable Member

I was up north in the UP over the holidays. Stopped by to see a friend that has a Blizzard. Said no problems with it since he bought it 3 winters ago, but the finish (paint) looked like s*it. The damn thing was rusting everywhere.
    I noticed it was really bad on the edges of all the steel parts, nearly 100% rust. Other areas of pin hole size rust appeared all over the rest of the plow.

Wish I would've taken some pics.

What this tells me is they are not painting their plows properly and or not using a decent coating or prep.

But, seems to me that this was the case with the Boss Plows when they first appeared on the market (made by the same family then). The Boss finish improved when they were bought out by MJ electric in Iron Mountain MI.

9. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

How long ago did you move out of the area? If it's been awhile, I think you would be suprised how expensive and congested the area has gotten over the last few years.

-Greg Carnrick

10. DJC

DJC Senior Member

I love our 810 power plow. You would not believe the time it saves!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Bolts Indus.

This year Blizzard has built their own paint shop.
    Previously they contracted the paint work out and obviously were not satisfied.

12. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Forgot to tell that. Ours was put on this year and starting to see some big rust spots.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. PLANET

PLANET Member

Grew up in Middlebury???? I,m from Oxford :waving: but went to Southbury schools and graduated in 84. My name is Bill Lockwood. Yours?

14. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

I lived in Oxford, Reese Drive, for 5 years as a kid. Moved to Middlebury in 1980. Parents are still there.

Jeff Pregman

15. wickedcarpenter

wickedcarpenter Member

problems

I had major problems in 2000 with a new Blizzard. Not 1 night went by without it breaking down or freezing. Ice build up in the wings would either cut the hoses or freeze em making the blade not angle. Even had a wing rip off on a man hole cover.That plow was sold.
    I'm sure they have fixed the issues by now,but i would not by a 2000 model for sure.
    They clear some major snow for sure but you can forget cutting into any major snow amounts unless you have a V plow cut you a path in and give you working room. I was running a 2000 F350 Crewcab 4x4 ,6" lift,PowerStroke that would just spin the tires on a few bad storms we had that had some major snow amounts with huge snow drifts.
    So sooner or later you'll need a Vplow to help ya out.
    I'd like to hear some goods comments about their new plows on the hose problems i had.

16. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

For whatever it's worth, I can't say much of anything negative about the 810 unless it might be that you do have to be a little more discriminating when you back drag, since the cavities left by extending the wings will pack with snow and make it difficult or impossible to retract them, but it's a problem that's easy to deal with if you watch what you're doing a little bit. And I don't do gravel because I don't like to do gravel, but it could possibly become a headache area too with this plow if you weren't careful and didn't use your common sense.
    This is my third season with mine and it still looks basically pretty much like new except the red decals are almost worn off. It's true that we haven't had a tremendous amount of snowfall for a few years, but my personal opinion is that since the state has only just begun to use mag chloride on the roads, equipment is more likely to last much longer and it also helps that Montana is an inland state without any exposure to the salt air. Times are changing, but so far the mag is only being used on a limited basis so things don't begin to rust immediately--yet.
    The extra width of the blade has saved me quite a bit of time and as a result I've been able to increase my customer base proportionately. I think that if the snow got real heavy it might stand to reason to take smaller bites no matter what kind of plow you were pushing, but when things are normal I can clear a pretty wide swath without leaving a windrow.
    I've got two 1-ton trucks but just the one plow. Both are set up with the undercarriage kits and I can interchange quickly if I needed to for any reason, but I don't think I'd feel as comfortable putting it on a smaller and lighter truck. But mine are both GM with torsion bar suspension (sucks!) so a more down-to-earth 3/4T--Ford maybe--might work out alright. But if I needed to purchase another plow I wouldn't hesitate for an instant about buying another 810--and that's a good thing.

17. mreinke

mreinke Junior Member

My Blizzard 760

I have been plowing with a Blizzard 760 for 3 years and have had only minor problems. One of them is the unit in which all your plow lights plug into. It looks like it is a fuse because every year I have to replace it due to water getting in there and rusting it so it don't work. Other than that, every other problem I have had is probably due to operator error.

18. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines Senior Member

Do Not Put An 810 On A Chevy 3500

Don't put an 810 on a chevy 3500 unless you have an HD model... It's not that the plow is too heavy, the plow is great...It's the Piece of S$#T truck that's not strong enough. A have a 2004 3500 Dump (Dually) 4x4 and I pray every night I go out that the truck makes it....I know the plow will! Besides that, the problem with the 810 and the Chevy is that since it sits so low you have a tendency to dig up some lawns when you have the plow on an angle and your pushing snow up on the lawn. Mine is starting to rust in corners already, have owned it two months and plowed 5 times. No Gravel, light use....Not a good paint job!

19. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

Petalsanspines,
    Did you crank up the torsion bars and add timbrens on your 3500? I also have a 2004 3500 and my buddy has one. We just got done plowing today (second time for me and first for him this season) I run an 810 on it without any problem. We just installed a 8.5 Hiniker on his and you can't even try to compare them. I did crank my torsion bars up 3 turns and added timbrens to the front. I started off plowing at 4:00 this morning with 1500lbs of salt,, and ended up plowing from 8:00 til noon with no ballast and I did not have any problems with digging up any residential lawns. I have only been plowing a few years but I really don't think the trucks are bad. The truck runs normal temp even on the highway with the plow and the trans temp never goes up much. The only thing I wish it got better gas mileage. (9-10/gallon)
    I'm not even sure they made a 3500hd for 2004??? Does anyone know if they did? I have a dump bed on mine and the trucks weighs a whoppong 7900 pounds (no plow). GVW is 12,000 lbs, I had at times well over 2 ton on it and the truck never missed a beat. The 6.0 gas has more than enough power for the truck. I guess it is all personal opinions but I would like to know what else, if anything that you are not liking about the truck.

Okay,, as for the Blizzard 810,,,, all I can say is "WOW". I debated on getting it for awhile but I am so glad a few guys talked me into it. The plow saves so,,so,, much time on lots you can't imagine until you run one. The only thing I did with my plug was run it between the bumper and the light frame and zip tie it so it wouldn't rub constantly. So far , so good. Never lost connection yet. (will post pic of it)

I would like to know of any unforseen problems that they are having with the 810,, and along with the 3500's.
    Thanks for everyone help and advice throughout the past few months
    Dave

20. Bolts Indus.

I also run a Blizzard 810 on a 3500 dually,crew cab,PU. It does a great job, This combination is the best rig I have ever run. I do commercial but when there are lawns I tap it up a bit when I reach the lawn edge. All plows angled will dig the trailing edge into lawns. One should never push onto lawns with the blade angled and the ground NOT frozen. Hope this helps.