1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard Plant Tour...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John Allin, Nov 20, 2002.

1. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Today I went through the Blizzard manufacturing facility. Very interesting, and I learned a whole lot more about Blizzard and how they are made. It's quite obvious that these people have done their homework, and have listened to feedback from end users over the years. The things I originally thought were drawbacks with the Blizzard plow (from back in 1999) have all been addressed and problems corrected to my satisfaction. I'm impressed with the way these units are built. There are alot of "little things" that have been done to make this one heck of a well built unit.

They have done quite a job thinking through the blade and how it's built and operated. The four brothers that own Blizzard are the sons of the fellow that patented and initially manufactured the Boss plows. These guys know plows.

It's snowing here (I'm in a hotel here in the U.P of Michigan) and I got to see the skid steer model work... and I'm going to own one of those babies here real soon.....

Is this an endorsement of what I saw here ???.... oh yeah, definitely. I've got one Blizzard now, and we'll have a few more by the middle of winter. I want to put them to the test in Erie - and I'm sure they'll pass muster, from what I've seen here today.

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

thats great to hear. Ive seen a few on trucks around here, but i want to see one up close in action.

3. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

the only thing that bugs me is the wings on my straight blade other than that there great

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

John ,That is good to here I like the expandable plow idea and now that you saw how they are built and seem to like the quility in them.The only thing that they have to do is get more dealers out there for one.And second I would like to see or know how they change fluid in them,hook up and disconect them and how to repair and change fluid from the wing cylinders.

5. John Allin

Cat320,
    I think I know the answers to those questions, however I want to confirm my thoughts before answering. I'll be seeing the President of Blizzard in the morning, and I'll try to remember to ask.

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Thanks John

7. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

YES! I really get jacked after reading comments like that, since I put one on my truck and I haven't seen snowflake one since. If it doesn't snow around here sometime soon I'm going to have to boom out to someplace that does have snow just so I can remember what the stuff looks like!

8. Chris Marino

Chris Marino Junior Member

I just ordered 6 Blizzard 810ss for my skidsteers. I will keep everyone posted on how we like them.

9. John Allin

Chris,
    I'll be REAL interested in what you have to say after putting them to work. I think I have some applications (for quotes we're doing for NEXT winter already) that will be perfect for those units, which is why I'm so interested in how it goes with you.

10. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Chris, a couple of questions. One, where did you buy these blizzards (what state)? Two, what types of machines will you mount them on? ThankS.

11. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

John,

Hope you enjoy the snow up there in the U.P. It's a beautiful area. It should be white by the time you get back to ERIE. Was 57 today and the temp is dropping fast with that clipper following you home. I take from the strong hint in the post's above I should be tuning up a 810SS for when you get back too. Have a good visit and a safe trip back. If your in the prop plane out of HOUGHTON the winds at your back make for a quick trip to DETROIT. Jerre

12. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Next time I'm up in snowmobile country, I might have to stop by the blizzard factory.

JAA, seen any sleds up there, the UP is the Meca for snowmobiling, simply put; awsome!!!!

Let it snow!!!!

CGB

13. dieseldave

dieseldave Junior Member
    from avon,ma

cat 320
    i am local and can answer any of the questions you have. email or call me.

14. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

I still have ??? on the 810

I guess I'm not ready to jump on the 810- Band wagon just yet. :confused: I know of 2 guys that have 810's & both have had problems. Now I will say both of these guys are "cowboys" & they did & do slam-bam plows. But 1 bent off 1 wing catching it on a curb :eek: major damage not covered. And the other guy jammed his ext wing tight with gravel when he was moving a pile of snow-packed gravel & moving the wing at the same time. Both of the plows paint is gone on the ends & rusting after I very light season last year. I still think the 810 will be a good plow but I'm still watching ;) .

I have a dealer (Western-Blizzard-Boss) just 5 miles from me so I'm going to stop in & check with them on what problems they are having with them. The service guys in back will tell me the truth as they do the repair work, the owner kinda sugercoats things is not to kill a sale.

15. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

My 810 gets installed tomorrow :) Can't wait for it to snow so I can try it out.

We have been Boss V fans for a long time and they still have there place,but I believe this 810 will make things a little more efficient.

16. Chris Marino

JD PLOWER-I bought them out of New Holland,Pa and I am running them on New Holland LS 180's.

17. #1westernwelder

#1westernwelder Junior Member

western plows

As a welder fabricator for western I would like to let everyone know that when a plows is built by me it leaves the plant as if |I were the customer buying it.and I no I am just 1 of all that feel this way. if you have any concerns about these plows call the plant directly and get answers or ask me and I can ask at work, western is on plant equipment such as the new paint line which is awsome!! and much more upgrades. plows are going out seeing alot of overtime.
    I am not authorized to give any recommendations concerning western policies . think of me as the guy you know who works there and takes great pride in what I do. there wouldnt be one plow manufacture that would want to add me to there team. once they seen my work.:cool:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2002
  18. #1westernwelder

#1westernwelder Junior Member

westerns phone #

here is there direct # (414)354-2318 fax (414)354-1888
    and ask for customer service.

19. Chris Marino

John- I will be sure to let you know how I like the Blizzard plows.

Chris

20. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I just got a video from Blizzard showing all plows in action From what i have seen hook up looks to be very easy.I never thought to ask but they put in there video is if you hit a curb or something with the wings out and curved forward they just seam to fold down and bounce back .I'm impressed at what i have seen on there video.Now if they could just have some live demos near me it would be great but I think that this plow is a combo plow/snow pusher.When put on a bobcat you have the use of a plow then the use of a pusher all in one :) .