1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BLIZZARD owners... How's it hanging?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rob Hausrath, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Rob Hausrath

Rob Hausrath Member

Hi there folks!

This topic was suggested by Jerre as he and I are looking for more feedback on what is going on out there. Your input will help us make improvements in products and service.

- What model plow do you have (straight blade / power plow)?
    - What make, model, and year truck do you have?
    - How's the plow doing?
    - How's the truck doing? Done any upgrades?
    - Is it meeting / exceeding your expectations?
    - Do you have any questions?
    - Who's your Daddy.... ummm, I mean dealer?
    - When are you getting your next one?

And, for my final question...

- What are you doing with all the extra time on your hands?

Thank you all for your support!
  2. Maverick

Maverick Senior Member

Off topic to your question.......just looked at your page. The Badlands Pug with a plow looks like a good sidewalk and tight place machine. Whats it go for?
  3. ParksLandscaping

ParksLandscaping Member

We bought three of the original power plows when a dealer quit selling them. We bought them because we thought they were neat, but also because of the price they were offered to us at. They are the 8' power plows, which extend to 10' or scoop inward. We got our first snow on Monday and had no problems. One of the plows is still in the crate, because we have not bought another truck yet. The other two are mounted onto F-250 4x4s and work great. One of them is a 2000 and the other is a 2001. From the newer ones that I have seen, the only thing blizzard is doing is making them better and better.

4. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Going to be more careful with what I say sometimes. Just got done hanging the 8611 plow on the VOLVO F6 and took some picts of the truck. Will get daylight picts of the combo and post.

Took that 8611 off my truck and put the 810 back on just to stop all the Gawking going on in the area. It sure made for some interesting looks on the way to Buffalo and back. I'll have to bring it for the SIMA expo.

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

The most recent sub that we hired this season has a blizzard 810 that he got at the end of last seson. The first time he was called out Sunday he made it for three hours before it went down.

I thought that was pretty good.

Turns out it was o-rings bad in the pump or something like that. The dealer that sold it to him apparently does not sell Blizzards now, but he called a new dealer in a town near us, Holland Snowplow and Supply. I know the owner personally, he is a great guy, he offered the sub a plow for the morning to finish up, if he wanted to use it. He also ordered the parts to be delivered the next day.

My sub called Blizzard direct, and talked to very helpful techs, who told him to go get o rings locally and told him how to fix it himself, which is what he did in the parking lot where it died.

Good dealer, good service and help from the manufacturer..... I will reserve judgement on the plow itself however.
  6. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

Hey Tom good to see Steve got up and running. I jinxed many a truck that day.

Lets hope for better on the next plow.:waving:

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

mine (810 power plow) died on its first run also. the motor started making a high pitch squelling noise and the plow would raise very slowly and wings in/out were the same. i called the CLUELESS dealer that i bought it from and he told me to try adding more fluid. ??? i could see the reservoir was over half full. i did as he requested and still no luck. but in the process i burned the he!! out of my hand on the motor. that thing was smoking hot, melt snow in a second. after the motor cooled that i could touch it, with the help of some snow, i removed the motor to take a look. the motor smelled burnt. i explained this over the phone to my dealer and he said "i dont know what to tell you", and this guy is a Blizzard dealer, makes you wonder. ????????? get this, he tells me that all they stock for parts is a few hoses, thats it!!! how can someone be a dealer and only stock "a few parts"?

anyone have this same motor problem or can offer some advice? i really dont want to take it to this goof because i dont think he knows much about theses plows. i bought it last feb so its still under warranty.
  8. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

At last it snowed in Montana!!!!!! I got a chance to break in my brand new 810 and was very favorably impressed. Even though I've only done my route twice with it, I know I am going to save an awesome amount of time just not going back and cleaning up windrows, but in the long run that 10 foot blade really covers some area in a short time!!!!! I've had absolutely no mechanical problems so far, but I tend to be very easy on equipment, since I'm the one who has to fix what I break. I do have a couple of negative comments however: The physical characteristics, it seems, prevent proper air flow to adequately cool the radiator. I know that a plow is a plow, but I didn't have that problem to this extent when I had a Western hanging out there. Blizzard does offer an airfoil deflector (pretty expensive to buy and pretty cheap to build), so it must have been a problem for somebody else too. I think I'm going to have one up there because I have to go about 10 miles from home before I can start plowing.
    My other thing is that the light assembly is without a doubt light in weight and easily removeable for the off-season, but because of the light guage material it is made with, it shakes, vibrates and chatters when I'm going down the road, ESPECIALLY when the plow is not there. I wrote to Blizzard asking if they had a fix or a support kit available, since I'm sure I'm not alone with the problem, but at this date they have not replied to my email. I guess I'll have to brace it up myself, but I wanted to avoid jeopardizing the warranty. Anyway, it's been super for me so far except for those two things. Like I told our local dealer (I bought the first 810 he's sold so he's as green as I am): They are going to sell one hell of a lot of plows if they can establish and maintain a DEALER NETWORK WITH PARTS AND SERVICE......(TAKE NOTE!!)
  9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

My 810 is mounted on my '01 F-350 SRW Powerstroke, I love the combination. I had concerns about gravel getting in the wing channels, but have had no failures with it. It has saved me 3 hours on my plow route, and I get comments on how clean it leaves things. I've got the joystick console and really like it.

I also experience the vibrating light tower, perhaps they could stiffen it a bit. How about a brush guard for summer use to drop in the mounting holes?

I installed Timbrens on the front axle to help carry the load.

The only suggestion I have right now is perhaps they could come up with a way to make the hitch pins spring loaded, as were on my Diamond plow. This would make hitching and unhitching even more convenient!

I bought the plow from Bob Frost Exc., but Hudson River T&T is carrying them again.

Too much Toby?
  10. Jerre Heyer

Pelican, Whow's your daddy came about im my area long before Toby did it. We had a couple of gus who were always in trouble calling in at all hours. Broken trucks from hitting houses, trees, ditches and mailboxes over the years. We kept getting them up and running and got the "your the Man" comment. That evolved into "who's your daddy" for one of the guys in the shop who did landscaping in the summer. He went into jobs other guys couldn't get grass to grow and fill in and would make it come in like a perfect carpet. Making the customer happy and him $$$$.

Sorry to say he got out of it 2yrs ago and bought a multistate Pay Phone route and has alot more free time. Got a license plate from him last winter after putting a plow on his Subaru wagon so he could clean his driveway. Haven't hung it on the truck yet but it says........When you want to GET WIDE....................
    Who's your DADDY?....

P.s. Stepped on any door mat's lately??????

LIGHT BAR VIBRATION FIX HAS 2 EASY CURES... I have to reset my digital camera so the picts will come through but simply it's to drill a hole for a bolt farther forward on the light bar or to weld a washer on the bar pocket and drill a hole in the light tower. Makes them very steady and easy to remove.

This has been started into production on the Dakota and small truck plows. Looking for it next year on all of them.

Air flow seem's to be only a problem on trucks with a light duty radiator to begin with. Run mine year round with no overheating problem. Have seen a couple of cheve's with std. radiators but they over heated with the other plow's they had on too.

WHITE = GREEN, Couple of things to check on your unit. First if no movement at all just pump running I'd check your fluid for freezing. Did you change the fluid out at the beginning of the year?

To get no movement at all from the plow it mean's no pressure. If the motor was that hot you had to be holding it in an on position for a while or the solenoid stuck under the hood and did not turn it off.

First check on no pressure is fluid level ------ You did this----
    Next pull of one of the angle cyl hoses at the cyl. Usually do the drivers side. Hit switch for right angle------ No fluid flow Check fluid resivoir (s.p.) for slush in bottom. Reach into and check filter for build up. If in there is drain unit including cyl's pull in new fluid and refill.

If no build up check pressure relief setting.

Call for further info. Over 150 plow's only 1 bad motor. He was stacking snow and holding the plow in the up position long after the plow was at the top of the lift.

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

thanks for the ides, i will try them. the plow would raise but very, very slowly and the motor was making a very high pitched squealing/chattering noise. i thought about removing the motor and running it with no load to see if it still makes the noise. im going to work on it a little tomorrow morning and if i cant find the problem i guess i will take it to the dealer and let him look at it.

another problem i had was one of the cutting edge bolts would catch on the back side of the wing (passenger side) when i would retract it. guess ill just take the grinder to the bolt . once again jerre, thanks for the help.

are the touch pads avail for the blizzards yet? im going to get one if/when they are. that joystick is way too sensative.
  12. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

:) So far so good ! I am very pleased with the Blizzard. It really moves a lot of snow in a hurry.

It tends to be a little slower angleling than the Boss though. Jerre is that normal?
  13. Jerre Heyer

Mike, If you look at the cyl diameter you'll see the BLIZZARD cyls are much larger than the Boss and other plows. Bigger dia means more volume to move the cyl. Working on a fix for that. Jerre
  14. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

A friend of mine installed the 8611 on his F-550 last month. Our first plowable snow came this past Thursday (12/5), and Saturday I was at the welding shop where we park. The 550 was inside, missing half of the cutting edge (steel). It had cracked vertically, almost in the center. The owner of the shop told me that the driver (not the owner) had hit a manhole cover when the wings were extended in the "scoop" position. The wings prevented the plow from tripping forward, over the cover. So the cutting edge took the impact. Has anyone else had a problem like this? I would imagine the urethane edge would help the plow jump over something that. Still looks like a great plow, but just thought I would bring this up. Mike
  15. Jerre Heyer

How fast was he going when he hit the manhole cover and is it still there? The wings on the 8611 and the 810 will flatten out and the blade will trip when an obstruction is hit.

Check out the video footage of curb impact on the web site www.blizzardplows.com We have only had one broken cutting edge and that was a F350 with an 8' straight blade taking out a full 12" poured concrete curb. Hit it at around 35m.p.h according to the driver. The truck spun around the plow and removed about 10" of the curb level with the road. Busted the corner off the edge back 4-6". Driver and school district were impressed with performance.

As for a vertical break, have seen it on many plow types when cold instant impact on manholes and corners of catch basins. Impact is concentrated on one point on the circle or the corner.

A U-edge would provide more give on any plow edge.
  16. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Jerre Heyer,

I was wondering how a u edge would fit on the wings? How much room is back behind that blade where those slide together?
  17. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

Jerre- Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how fast the 550 was going when it hit the manhole. Like I said, my friend wasn't driving, one of his employees was. Call me crazy, but I think he was probably going too fast:nono: . I will try to get more info. Mike
  18. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

810 early version

Can anyone tell me if the solenoid mounted on the pump motor can be moved to the onboard side of the harness under the hood?

The solenoid is triggered by the brown wire from the control box in the cab, so why couldn't the solenoid be mounted close the battery, with the brown trigger wire pulled from the loom and spiced into?

I tried this, and everything worked except the power hitch function. Can anyone explain this?

We plow with an earlier version and a later version of the 810. The later version comes with the solenoid on the vehicle side, and I believe this is better for at least two reasons: 1. It eliminates 'live' voltage at the plug, which I would think would decrease galvanic corrosion; and 2. Less potential voltage drop should mean better solenoid life.

Am I correct in these assumptions, and can this be done

19. jonmeyer

jonmeyer Junior Member

Hey all. Has anyone had problems with the stickers on the 2002 Blizzards peeling off? The 2001 810's still look like new, but the 2002 blades look just white, all the stickers (excluding the "BLIZZARD" stickers are gone. Any ideas. Please advise. Thanks, Jon
  20. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

I agree, the 02 stickers seem to peel off from what I've seen. Seems like I read that Blizzard will supply new ones. From a liability standpoint, it's a good idea to keep up the safety and directions stickers in case a newbie is hooking up the plow.