1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard or Western

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clncut, Nov 3, 2004.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Ive narrowed down to 2 plows. Im either going to buy the new Western mid weight plow or the blizzard 760 lt. Both have dealers within 5 min. of me and I really like the blizzards set up. Im torn between the two, price is only about 150 dollars of each other so price is not a problem. All you guys out there that have used either brand, any pros or cons about them.

The only problem Im seeing right now it seems its taking forever for the Western dealer to get in their plows for this year and the Blizzard dealer has them in stock.

Any input would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

2. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Western is a full-trip moldboard correct? What is the Blizzard? just curious...I don't care for a full-trip blade, but rather a trip edge design.

Without knowing how long it will take the dealer to get the Westerns and then schedule install, I would opt for the Blizzard. Blizzard is an excellent choice.

3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Well as far as I know Blizzards are full trip, so they are pretty nuch the same ply with exception of how they actually lift up the blade, and how they mount.

I have never used either brand, only used Fishers, but I just bought a western 8' pro for my GMC 2500HD. I do not know how I am going to like the full blade trip, but I have heard nothing but good things about westerns, so I will have to see this winter.

As for blizzards, there is only one dealer in my area(his first year), which is one of the reason I stayed away... who knows what kind of service he will give. Have not heard too much about them, but just looking at them they seem alot like snow-way's(as far a s their lift), there controlers are HUGE, the western you can get a great hand held control(exactly like a fishers), and I have never seen the mount in person so I cannot comment on the quality of it.

Just my $0.02 worth take it as you want....

4. thumbs

thumbs Junior Member
    from SE Pa.

Yep I am in the same boat. I like both the Western and the Blizzard. I like the fact that all the mechanicals on the Blizzard are on the plow itself adding to the weight on the blade. I also like the pump and all the other stuff is protected by a shield out of the weather. On the other hand Western probably has more dealers around and no denying it they make a great plow from what I can gather.

Now for the question. Will either of these plows exert down pressure? I am guessing the Wester will but how about the Blizzard? I forgot to ask the dealer when I was looking at them.

Gary

5. Robo

Robo Senior Member

Neither will exert down pressure only a sno way will do that at least until the patent wears out.

6. Up North

Up North Senior Member

clncut,
    I just got a new Blizzard 760LT put on last Thursday. Obviously I haven't plowed with it yet but I sure like the responsiveness of it and it's very easy and quick to hook up and drop off. I pulled the light tower off it today as well, pulled two pins and disconnected two light connections and off it came. Took about 3 minutes (my first time), takes about a minute to put back on.

I ran Westerns back in the 80's and they weren't nearly as responsive as this plow is, but again that was way back, I'm sure they are all pretty decent now days. It is a full trip blade. My price here in northern MN was about $835 difference, the Blizzard was considerably less. I think the dealer is trying to get a bunch of them out on the road so people see them. Anyway, good luck with your decision...either way you'll get a good plow.

Buck

7. clncut

Ive made my decision!!! :nod: I will be purchasing the blizzard 760lt. My truck is going in tomorrow and I get to pick it up Friday. I cant wait! After racking my brains on this and all the great input from everyone, I believe the Blizzard will be the better choice for me.

Ill try to figure out how to post some pics when I get the plow. HOPEFULLY the snow will wait till I return from my vacation so I can go out and play a little. payup

Thanks again for everyones advice!!

John

8. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to the Blizzard family. you have made a good choice which you will not regret.

9. clncut

Just picked up my truck with my new Blizzard plow and Im very impressed. :D The frame does not sit low to the ground which I was afraid of, thus far no overheating problems and the truck handls like the plow isnt even on! Im so excited, now we just need some white stuff so I can see what this thing can do.

Now, if I could only figure out how to post these pics~!!!! :confused:

10. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Congratulations on the new Blizzard. Good luck with the pictures!