1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard or Fisher?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by dubeb31, Mar 1, 2005.

1. dubeb31

dubeb31 Member

Just wondering what plows you guys prefer..a blizzard or a fisher? It will go onto a 00-05 Chevy 2500HD...I really like the Fisher MM2 but the blizzards are nice too....what doy uo think? :waving:
  2. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Two completly different plows ... both good imo.If you have a lot of parking lots blizzard is the way to go..If you do mostly driveways i would go with a fisher.Both are great plows but the wings on a blizzard would help you a lot with parking lots.
  3. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Fisher..blizzards match the snow too much.
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i would the mm2 imo
  5. BIGCUBES427

BIGCUBES427 Junior Member

blizzard or fisher??????????

the only problem w/ buying a blizzard is finding parts during the storm when they break. finding someone to fix it during a storm. a lot of moving parts.
  6. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Dealer support is a must.I wouldnt buy any plow that didnt have parts available in an emergency.
  7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Support is definatly #1 issue if your plowing anything in addition to your own driveway- blowing a seal at 2AM in a blizzard (the storm, of course) when your plowing 26 customers is a little different than when your trying to do your own drive at 3PM.

I agree in general with above, Fisher is definitly better for support, less moving parts (Blizzards seem to have problems freezing their wings), lighter weight, and IMO better plows. Blizzards are better for large lots, but only IF you plow smaller places too. If you can carry and use a 10 foot plow do it instead of a convertible 8 to 10 foot. Fichers also don;t sump as much snow when they trip because of their trip edge over the blade trip design.

I like blizzard's concept, just not practical for every use and everyone's desires.
  8. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Highly depends on what your plowing. If your just looking at blizzard straight plows vs fisher straight plows, I would personally go with the Fisher.
  9. S & L LawnCare

S & L LawnCare Member

Srry To Say Guys But Im A Blizzard Man I Absalutly Love My Blizzard Plow 800 Series Ez Ez Hook Up 2 Pins And 1 Connection With The Power Hitch Done . . . And Also U Can Be A Lil Off As Far As When U Go To Hook Up Fisher Has To Be Percise

Either Way Both Good Plows :confused:
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I mean Fisher versus Blizzard wing plows. If you do lots that are large and open and your truck can handle a 10 foot blade, and that's all you do, then buy a 10 foot blade. If you do a mixture of lots and smaller lots an adjustible blade has a use for when a 10 foot is too big.

Just my thought. And a home driveway situation has no need for a blizzard adjustible.
  11. Strongmd

Strongmd Member

We have 11 Fishers. I just swapped my 8' fisher for a Blizzard 810. So far I'm extremely happy with it. I would agree that it is ideal for commercial, but I'm using mine residentially and love it. It took about 1/2hr-45 minutes off of my 4 hour route with it. Very productive piece of equipment IMO. Regarding downtime and support, I agree that it's extremely important. However, sometimes, in the middle of a big storm, there's no such thing as adequate support. I'm a big believer in having a backup of some sort, especially in the snow business. If your capacity is maxed out and you don't have a backup plan in the event of equipment failure, you're an accident waiting to happen.
  12. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

Blizzards don't only make explandable plows they also make straight blades.
    There are plenty of parts available for the blizzards. During the Jan 05 Blizzard in the northeast I had many calls looking for fisher parts on Sarturday afternoon because many of the dealers were closed all weekend. The Blizzard owners were well covered during that storm.
  13. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

I don't kn ow whos calling, but I havent had any breakdowns on my Fisher and I personally think its a better plow. :salute:
  14. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

Obviously fisher owners are calling. Fishers are good plows but I would not say they are the better than any other plows. all plows eventually break.
  15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

True all plows eventually do break- and maintenance before the season is the most important for every make of plow. I have only had 2 break downs mid storm, one was from an accident (car hit me and ruptured a hose) and the other was really from my lack of inspection and maintenance. My Fisher dealer is open every sat, and usually opens for big storms reguardless of the day (wish all of them were like that)- however I believe you, cjc810, are the closest Blizzard dealer to me. No way I would buy a plow with the closest dealer being more then 20 minutes without snow on the roads- you're over an hour without snow. I have a backup plan and truck if necessary too.

Straight blade to straight blade- Fisher hands down IMO. Blizzard's straight blade has no real advantage over a Curtis, or a Western for that matter. The extended upper moldboard is a great idea (like the highway plows often are) but in practice it's not often a truck carrying an 8' straight blade will be able to even notice the difference, nevermind take advantage of it IF it even does make a difference.
    I like the concept of the wings- just don't see the advantage in many situations, and more of a liability in most. (complexity and weight)

True test will be in 10 years or so- Fisher has been around long enough we know their design is well done and real world tested. Blizzard is still new kid on the block
  16. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

Good post Justme. But I must say that a plow is like a vehicle it is all a matter of opinion which one is actually better. Most people put down new products and have never used them. I have plowed with Fisher and many other brands and they all have the advantages and disadvantages. So as far as a Fisher being better than a Blizzard is just a individuals opinion and I respect your opinion.
  17. fordman89

fordman89 Junior Member

i like fisher they are fast to put on and they respond alot quicker than a blizzard does
  18. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

I'd go with a fisher. I think parts are easier to get for them (atleast in my area). Blizzards have their advantages in parking lots, but for other areas, i personally think they would suck. I noticed the motor for them is on the actual plow, which IMO would be a horrible spot. My boss has had a lot of mechanicall failures with his blizzard, and he does mostly dirt driveways. Fisher is better suited for driveways and gravel. They are more heavy duty, and i like the trip edge. From my experiences, the trip edge springs never break. Not that this has anything to do with their performance, but i think fisher's look nicer (especially with a snofoil).
  19. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Couldn't have been said better. Personally if trying to make a decision based on which plow to buy, I'd talk to the dealers and get a feel for the support level they'll provide. Talk to some plow owners that deal with those particular dealers in your area and see what they think. All the plows now days are good, a lot depends on the type of plowing you're going to be doing. Wide open lots...Blizzard 810, long driveways with drifts...V-plow, a little of everything...maybe a straight blade.

I have a Blizzard straight blade and couldn't be happier...but that's not to say I'd be just as happy with the Fisher or Western or Boss or whatever. Good luck with the decision.

20. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

more heavy duty :confused: sorry but you need to put the crack pipe down. I don't care which plow you use thats a personal decision each of us needs to make. but to make statements like that just goes to show how ignorant you are.