1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard of 1978

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Chris-R, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Just a thought. 28 years ago today, the blizzard of 78 ripped through New England. In my particular area, we got over 4 feet of snow in less than 24 hours. We had 9 foot drifts. The wind was ripping so fast with the snow coming down so hard, you couldn't see your hand in front of you. Winter is not over yet.
  2. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

All right. Who remembers the blizzard of 78 or am I just too old?
  3. cktns4

cktns4 Junior Member

i do i do i was only 10 but here in ohio it was awesome i had a little 16 horsepower tractor my dad bought and man i made the money even back then waaaaaaaaaaaaaahoooooooooooooo
  4. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

My road was opened up with a bulldozer. Then they brought the old FWD with the big snow blower to open up the corner down the street.
  5. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

i'm too young, but i've heard stories... my wife's grandpa had an excavating business and they used his equipment to open up roads. at the time my dad was running tow trucks and he told me of a guy who pulled his semi to the side of the road for a nap and when he woke up, his truck was buried. couldn't get out. truck was totally covered in snow. they only found him because his antenna was sticking out of the snow.:eek:
  6. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

'78 Blizzard

Yup, we plowed it, with Jeeps! 2 Cj's and my Jeep pickup. All chained on all four wheels, all made it through with no breakdowns. What a great storm. I compare all storms to that one. Worked four days straight, plow, fuel up, plow, fuel up, sleep for a few hours, then back in the truck. It was tough to make the initial pass, the snow would ride up under the trucks but we took our time and got through. Lots of residentials back then, but the good thing was everybody was socked in so there was no where for them to go even when we got their properties open.

Wish I could do it again today, just to say I did another one like that. There is no prettier site than your hometown at 3 in the morning covered in a blanket of snow. I still love that part of snow plowing.
  7. I remember that storm. I was only 14 at the time though. I remember the town was nowhere near plowing the side streets so the second day into the storm my neighbor down the block got a payloader from work and cleared everybody out. Needless to say he took down someone's low hanging telephone wire, the old couple complained to the right person and the town told him he cannot plow the road like that anymore and that was the end of that.
  8. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

wooooooooooowhoooooooooooooooo i had a k5 blazer built to the hilt and drove from boston to wallingford ct on the highway durring the hight of the storm the highways were closed it was great .
  9. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i wasnt born yet let alone a thought but ur not old....in my opion age is just a number doesnt mean anything...just how u live ur life