1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard of 1978

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cjc810, Jul 27, 2004.

1. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

Would this be great to plow again.
    think snow

This is a week later in Rhode Island. Traffic going up Mineral Spring Ave. No Providence

mineral spring.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2004
  2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

We have had close to that amount of snow 2 times in 2 years, iam sure we will have another storm drop at least 20" this year.

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I remeber that my father had a k5 blazer with a fisher plow

4. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

We had a 1945 willys MB with an old plow that you had to go outside to the plow and pull the center pin to angle left or right.
    We put on 4 tire chains and 4 adults in the back seat to plow this storm.

5. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

We had a 1970 Jeep CJ-2000 (I think) with a 7 1/2 Meyer plow, lol.

6. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

I plowed it too.
    1965 4 cylinder Jeep CJ 5 5.38 to 1 gears, Myers Plow
    1962 Willys pickup, Hurricane 6, Manual Swing Myers plow
    1972 AMC Jeep, 304 V8 Western Plow

Ran bar reinforced chains on all wheels, thats 12 sets on three vehicles. They were unstoppable.

All with Monarch Hy-Lo belt driven pumps. Never a breakdown. Never let me down. No computer nonsense, no hi tech, just plain old reliable low tech no tech.

7. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

We have ahd much bigger storms since then. Remember in 78 most car were rear wheel drive, few "SUVs" existed and plows were less common.

New technology has made the storm of 78 just as obsolete. It would be cleaned up within hours today.

8. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I was plowing with a 1972 K-5 blazer. I was able to get most of my driveways plowed but a few had drifted in so bad that they had to be cleared out with a payloader.

9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with flipper, so many people have plows that it would be cleaned up in hours today. Not to mention the advances in vehicles and weather over the years. with the media today we are all going to die over 4 inches, everybody makes a big deal over snow. In the mountains of Northern New England, they get 27"+ of snow all the time and the roads are always clear up there.

10. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

It was the timing of that storm. Every one got out of work at the same time during the begininng of the storm so no one could plow the roads. Also it was very cold storm all the big storms we have had have been around 27 degrees. At the height of this one it was about 17 degrees.

11. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I was not plowing yet. I was 17. My Dad had a new 77 Dodge Aspen and rather than drive it in the snow he walked many miles to finally catch a bus to get to work. We watched the news, shoveled the street by hand because the neighbors Wife was due any minute, and had the baby that night. My Dad had to have open heart surgery that summer. The Doctor said the added exertion of the snow aggrivated his heart condition. Who knows, he is still around today at 76.

12. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

3 winters ago we got 36" over the course of evening and night then 2 days later got another foot. that year we actually got several 12-18" storms plus 2 of those 36"+ storms.

13. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

This picture is from February, 1977, also known here as the Blizzard of '77. The fence line is over 5' tall. BTW this is my older brother, so no, I wasn't plowing yet, nor was my truck even in the pre-production stages yet :p

blizzard of 77x.jpg

14. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

This is also from the Blizzard of '77... where the snow wasn't so densely packed...

blizzard2x.jpg