1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

blizzard info on this DD stuff

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by getsum, Jul 17, 2011.

1. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

not trying to be a pain but can someone pm me on what happend to blizzard plows and owners and this dd stuff. im out of the loop and was looking into getting a blizzard 8611 this year but almost every blizzard owner or conversation seems like there looking to ditch them and i dont want to make a 6k mistake thanks

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

You're assuming "private messages" here are actually "private". :dizzy:

3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Are they on any site?:rolleyes:

4. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

haha well im not here trying to stir up a wasp nest or be THAT guy :rolleyes:

i was just looking to find out the info

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  5. wizardsr

Any time you cheapen a product up, cut corners in manufacturing, lighten the design, change the mount, change the wiring, or make things "universal" by sharing parts with other product lines, you're going to have some backlash from loyal end users. DD did all of the above when they bought out Blizzard. Sometimes the manufacturer's "improvements" don't make a product better, which is why sales of new Blizzard products are way down, and used older models are increasing in value and are getting harder to find.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hee hee hee ...

Not just Blizzard labeled DD stuff suffering....

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

The new Blizzards are awesome plows too. They just aren't the Blizzards of old. The board and wings are just as stout as ever and are much better than the Wideout design if you ask me. I have 2 pre DD Blizzards and can at least admit that. The new controller they use that's the same as the MVP one is badass too. THE only thing that would keep me from buying one is that I like my plows and mounts to match truck to truck. But that doesn't really matter either I guess.

8. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Ya know I've got feedback on both sides.

Me I have two 810's and an 860SW. Great plows, proven old design. No issues, all though one is a D&D model, but old design. I did have one issue 3 years after purchase and D&D took care of me. It did cost me some time (labor) but they replaced the part.

My cousin has an 8000 (new style) and loves it. I like the way the new mount works, but it does have it's draw backs. D&D engineers have really made some bad choices in choosing some parts and lighting things up, but I have seen them changing some things back. The new Blizzards were kind of like the first year of a truck, you shouldn't buy one!

Cor is right, problems across their whole line of plows. But remember when Meyer went through the same things? They fixed their problems and are now a top quality plow. D&D will get there.

9. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

thanks guys i didnt realize this was going on:eek: thanks a bunch for the info!

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's better to learn now, before you drive off with the new plow.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you search the forums for DD threads there is plenty of information out there. DD's blizzard purchase have had some benefits, not just the negatives everyone wants to gripe about. Cheaper more accessible parts availability, (lots of Western Fisher parts interchange,) a wider range of vehicle fits and more R&D to to list a few. I would not reject the Blizzard just because it is now a DD product. No it is not the original Blizzard design but with somethings that is good. If Blizzards (pre-DD) where so exceptional why did everyone make the trip to Erie to have Jerre "fix" the known issues?

12. wizardsr

They didn't. They made the trip to Erie to make a great plow even better! Things like flipped manifolds to make a 30 minute middle of the night hose change a 5 minute hose change. And the positive stops could be done to any plow, not just blizzards, as none of the manufacturers seem to realize the downsides to allowing the angle cylinders act as a stop. Increasing lift height seems like a no brainer too. Double wing springs, again, not necessary, but improve the performance of the plow. These aren't fixes, they're enhancements, and they can (and do) apply to any product, not just Blizzards.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Which kind off makes my point, Blizzard made a decent plow but the thing that made them special was the expanding rotating wing and even more brilliant the speedwing. They never sought to improve the line beyond the patentable products they could sell to the highest bidder. The same thing was done by the same family with Boss, they deserve kudos as perhaps the most influential designers in the industry. The blades they built, however, were with the exception of weight, no better designed then the DD triplets of today and remember DD has done this while increasing the viability of the product though engineering for increased fits in a market that continually reduces the rated abilities of the vehicle carrying it.

Has DD addressed these issues in the new models, different attack angle, more springs or a different spring configuration to make it less trip prone or has the decreased mass helped solve that on it's own? Have they increased serviceability? Have they removed any of the features beside shear mass from the original concepts? Remember bigger, heavy is not always better, I for one am glad my new cell phone is lighter, has more features and more powerful then the old bag phones we use to have even if it is a little more fragile. I am not a DD cheerleader i just think they catch a bad rap over the expanding, rotating snowplow blade and Blizzard's sale to them.

14. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Bravo.....Well said....:salute:...:drinkup:....Thumbs Up

15. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

deep stuff guys. I have an older diamond 7.6 and i have only had to change the cutting edge and the cylinder packing. Not one issue other than that in a long 3 years of plowin. I guess im looking for a durable, faster, blade to speed things up, and boost productivity and GOOD dealer support. NOT TRYING TO BASH IN ANY WAY OR OPEN A CAN OF WORMS,, but my dads 8ft snow dogg is and was down ALL the time along with another friends V. I cant afford to be down in the middle of the night time after time or looking for parts and having the dealer tell me to screw. the dealer that takes care of my dads gets 5 stars from me! ya the plow was down alot but the dealer always got him in asap and covered them under warranty for almost everything till the manufacturer stepped in and they cant warranty as much or somethin like that. the only blizz dealer around me are an auto body shop and a ford dealer. not alot to pick from. the size of the blizzard is what has my interest due to my new contracts i need to be as efficient as possible. payup yes all plows have glitched and problems.. but for the money i need someone to stand by it and keep me in business so my customers dont drop me like a bad habit. because word and reputations float FAST around here