1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard ice chaser reviews?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dieselboy01, Sep 12, 2012.

1. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

I put a bid in for a small neighborhood and they require sanding at every intersection. I was looking into the Blizzard Ice Chaser, 7' 1.5 cu yds for my short box Super Duty. I like it because its polly and has a foldable polly lid and a conveyor to feed the spinner. Does anyone run these? Likes dislikes? Is there a better spreader for this job?

2. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Used one for two years now. 1.8 and 2.5 yard. Definately like the doors and how quiet it is. DD has had a bit of a learning curve with these units. The current year product is greatly improved on the first couple years of production. My suggestion is if this is your only spreader, then buy new or one year old at the most.

3. dieselboy01

If I were to get one it would be new. I have yet to see a used ice chaser for sale. I was doing more reading on v box spreaders and it might be to much weight for the F250. Does anyone know if there is a tail gate spreader that can do sand?

4. bliz&hinikerDLR

Well, I guess you haven't looked in the right places for used if you haven't seen any ... 7' might be tough to find though. The Western tailgate with the belt feed is the only one I know of that will do sand. Try calling Josh at D&J in Deerfield and see if he has a suggestion.

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'm using a Meyer 350s to spread sand/de-icer mixed at about 4:1. I use it for spreading at intersections in subdivisions/HOA, loading docks and parking lots. I don't have an issue with feeding or bridging, but I mix on site and store my sand in a covered bunker.
    A TGS does have it's good and bad points:
    Good,
    Typically less money ( I got mine off of C List for $500.00)
    Easy to remove after a event ( I built a stand it slides on to)
    Less space required to store
    Easy to clean
    Less Maintenance, Poly Hopper and no chains, I pressure wash mine after every time it's used.
    Don't need for a loader to load it
    The truck bed is open with the exception of the sand you have to carry,
    For smaller jobs

Bad,
    Limited capacity in the hopper
    You need to Load at every property, you don't want to drive around with it loaded. It will pack/settle and potentially freeze up on you too.
    Sticks out a little more than a V-Box
    Spinner motor hangs down kind of low, I raised the whole unit 4.5" and built a crash bar to protect the motor.

I have some pics of mine posted on the 18th post on this thread
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=133273

If I used more product per site I'd consider going with a V-Box, but the TGS takes care of my current needs.
    You can airbag your truck if you did decide to go for a V-Box your truck has the same rear end as a F-350.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  6. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

7. bliz&hinikerDLR

Looks like Mack has a unit that is a couple years old. The spread pattern has been improved quite a bit since this version. Mack has a good video showing the unit and the controls. If you're worried about the weight, we ran a 1.8yd in an '06 F250. I don't remember if we ran Timbrens but the truck handled it fine. Actually made it plow much better, the truck was very helpless without the spreader at least 1/4 full.

8. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Mine is a 1.8 yard. The truck is hurting when its fully loaded. But this year i put air bags on. So it shouldn't be as bad.

9. dieselboy01

I was doing some more browsing and I'm starting to like the Western Pro Flo 2, I think that would be a better bet, at least for the first few years until some money starts to roll in. Anyone run a Western Pro Flo 2? Or know the price of one? All the web sites I've been to don't list a price for this spreader.

10. dieselboy01

I was talking to a local deal and hes got me sold on the Snow Ex 1575 with the swing a way mount. It doesn't hold much compared to other tailgate models but I was told it will spread anything, bag, bulk, or sand. I should be picking it up later this week.