1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard HID Headlight conversion for less than $100

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Alaska Boss, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Well, after converting all my vehicles to HID headlight systems, I decided the plows were next, and like so many other things, once a new technology becomes more common-place, and more & more companies jump into the market, prices keep dropping, and so it is with HID headlight conversions. My Boss plow would be no problem, since it is a quad-headlight set-up, just like my Chevy trucks, and takes the exact same bulbs (9005 hi, & 9006 lo). But the Blizzard headlights posed a little more difficult problem, since it's a single headlamp sealed beam with dual filaments. And since I have my truck wired so that on Hi beam, both Hi & Lo beams are on,.. the plow would be the same, but you can't do that with a dual-filament bulb, or you'll burn out the bulb in about 3 seconds. So, ever since I bought this Speedwing, I've had to dis-able the dual-burn feature I rigged upon my truck, so as to not fry my Blizzard headlights. But even with that, I've burned out 3 headlights on this Blizzard in the year I've had it, and the factory sealed beams just don't really cut the mustard anymore. So, since I was in the big city again yesterday, I spent over half the day looking for a new light system, and I finally found what I was looking for,.... a 6½ x 4 headlamp housing with a removable H4 headlight bulb! Earlier I had bought one of those "el'-cheap-o" HID headlight conversion kits in H4 bulbs on ebay (less than $50), but it was a single-burn system,..not the "bi-xenon" dual hi & lo systems. But that's what I wanted, because I wanted to add a new lo-beam headlamp to the plow anyway, so I would have a quad set-up on it, just like the truck. I found these two H4 headlamp housings on a shelf in a storage room of a business in Anchorage that didn't even know they were there, ($45), so I can't tell ya where to get any more, and there's no brand name or anything on them or the boxes. So, now I have 2 new housings & a HID H4 kit for less than $100 total. And I had an extra set of low-profile 55-watt halogen fog lights sitting at home on the shelf,.. and those would be my new lo-beams! So, with all the pieces gathered together, I started the swap,.... here's a picture of the stock sealed beam headlamp on the left, and the new "clear-glass" H4 housing I just found on the right,... (front & back),...

zz1 (Small).JPG

zz2 (Small).JPG

2. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Since the new headlamps would be Hi beam only, I took the halogen bulb and the bulb hood out of the new housings,... and removed the reflector off of the HID bulbs,... I didn't want anything blocking or restricting the light output on these new headlamps,...

zz3 (Small).JPG

3. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

The new HID bulbs clipped in just like halogen bulbs,.. and with a little coaxing, the rubber hood covering fit over the end as well,... now the HID filament has nothing interfering with putting out the maximum light possible,...

zz4 (Small).JPG

zz5 (Small).JPG

4. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

The light now has 5 wires coming out of it,... the black & red short wires plug into the stock headlight plug inside the plastic plow housing,... the other 2 single black wires plug into the ballast, and the 2-wire plug also plugs into the ballast,...

zz6 (Small).JPG

5. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

I marked the factory wires so I wouldn't mess up & forget which wire was which,... the white one is ground, the red is Hi beam & the green is Lo beam,... I also drilled a hole in the bottom of the plastic housing for the ballast wires & the new wires coming from the headlamp,... & since it would have to be over an inch in diameter to get the 2-wire plug thru, I cut a slot, rather than such a big hole. There's no way possible to put the ballasts on the inside. Later when everything is done, I can seal this hole area back up with some silicone,....

zz7 (Small).JPG

6. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

This particular HID kit came with metal mounting brackets, which were perfect for mounting the ballast to the back side of the light housing,... it seems to be pretty tight & secure,... I'm not sure how good this is, but at the time I had no other real option. They say these ballasts are waterproof, vibration proof, etc etc,... I guess I'll find out,.... if I or anyone else comes up with a better idea, I can always change things later,....

zz9 (Small).JPG

7. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

So now,... I connected all the wires, and carefully folded them back into the housing & pushed the headlamp in where it belongs & screwed the mounting ring back over the light,... the extra loose red wire is the hot wire that will go to the fog lamp (the new lo-beams) that I will mount next on the lightbar, just to the inside of the stock light housings,...

zz8 (Small).JPG

8. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

I did the other side just the same,... mounted the two fog lamps on the inside of the two main lights,... so now my lightbar looks like this,... front & back,....

zz11 (Small).JPG

zz10 (Small).JPG

9. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

So, with everything done, I took the lightbar outside & mounted it onto the truck for the acid test,.... and everything works just like it should,.. and WOW!! For the first time since I've owned this Blizzard, I can actually see something !! My driveway had a couple inches of fresh snow in it since our record-setting thaw of the past 10 days,... so I scraped it out just to check out the new lights,... so here's a couple views of my new set-up,.. on lo-beam & hi-beam. And I have to say, that those little fog lights are every bit as good or better than the stock sealed beams were,... and the HID's,... well,... it's not a contest,...prsport

zz12 (Small).JPG

zz13 (Small).JPG

10. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Another comparison on lo beam and hi beam,....

zz14 (Small).JPG

zz15 (Small).JPG

11. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

I'm very pleased with how this has turned out and how these lights perform, plus now I can return my truck to dual-burn status as well,.... the fog lights are pointed almost straight down,.. so no issues with blinding people,... plus, I live in an area where other traffic is really not something I even have to deal with much,... so this is going to work out real well I think,... how it lasts & holds up is still to be seen,...but it's not like I have $1000 invested in this,... I could put it all back to stock in 30 min,.... now on to the Boss,.... :salute:

zz16 (Small).JPG

zz17 (Small).JPG

12. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Awesome write-up! Something I might look into doing as a project this summer. Last year, I looked into converting a Boss tower to fit into my Blizzard mount, but gave up after seeing the costs. Nice job...

13. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Nicely done, now only if we could find more of those lights...

14. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I found some housings like that on ebay. Just trying to find the right bulb conversion kit. I do want the hi/lo setup in the one bulb. Good idea.

15. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

What a huge difference and a nice job too. I have a question on the reflector you took off the HID bulb - I thought that it was better to have the light reflect backward off the housing that's why all the newer bulbs seem to have that reflector. You feel its brighter without the housing on the bulb?

16. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Yep, I think it's better to take it off. These HID's are advertised as H4 Lo-beams only,.... because of the deflector. The only function a reflector/deflector has, is to re-direct the light, and/or prevent it from shining in a certain direction. All bulbs do not have a reflector, only those with a lo-beam function. If you ever look at any quad system, the hi beam never has one. Any aftermarket driving lights, etc., that has just a single filament bulb, (like Hella, Piaa, LightForce, etc), has no reflector in them,.. since they are only a Hi-beam type light,.... that, plus the output is why they say "For off-road use only" But the reflector just pops right out, or pops right back in,... so it's easy to try it both ways & see. :salute:

17. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Awsome job on the lights !!! Blizzard has always left quite a bit to be desired in the lighting dept. ! I just spent about an hour the other day getting my lights to work again. I grease them all of the time ,and still I have four borken pins:realmad: I even started wrapping the conectors in tape figuring moisture must be getting in adding to the corrosion. Any ways I was going to try and find another mfg's lights to use but maybe a rebuild is all I need. Again it looks great and thanks for the step by step showing how you did it !!!

Good Luck, shaun

18. BRAAAP

BRAAAP Senior Member

Very nice job!!!! :drinkup:

19. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i'm glad i saw this, the blizzard lights are just like my older boss lights and i was trying to figure out how i'd mount the ballests..awsome!

looks great and im sure they work even better :)

20. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Well I'm on my third bulb this year now on the passengers side. The only thing I would be weary about is connecting them to that housing, I'm sure after packing and stacking a few piles the ballast is either gonna fall off or break off one or the other. Other than that I wanna do it for sure.