1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard Headach

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Foscsv, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Foscsv

Foscsv Junior Member

I have a 860 Blizzard plow that will not lower after being raised. Can only lower it by turning the relief valve. Any ideas??:mechanic:

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What's an 860?

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Are all the pins in the plug in good shape?

4. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Not sure what valve you are turning. The only relief on the raise fiction is the main system relief. Determine if the problem is electrical or hydraulic by checking for magnetism at the float coil. Find which coil or coils should be active for float by looking at the chart under the plastic hood and hold a metal screwdriver near the nut while the function the plow is in float. Let us know results.

5. Foscsv

Foscsv Junior Member

Blizzard won't lower

I checked the #8 solenoid and I don't power going to it. Can you tell me what color wire on the plow side feeds this solenoid. Wires color have faded out.

6. bliz&hinikerDLR

Are you trying to make the plow drop or detach it from the truck?

S8 only activates when trying to detach from the truck. If you just want the plow to drop you need to look at the S5 solenoid.

DSS the 860 is an HD straight blade plow PH1.

7. bliz&hinikerDLR

Still concerned with this part of your OP. Please provide more info.

8. Foscsv

Foscsv Junior Member

Blizzard won't lower

Thank you for that information, now that I have a understanding of the #8 solenoid, what would cause the #5 solenoid to stay energized all the time or should it do this. The relief valve that I'm referring to is what you are talking about, the FC valve.

9. bliz&hinikerDLR

You know the flow control valve needs to be open right?
    The S5 coil should be energized whenever plow is in float.

10. Foscsv

Foscsv Junior Member

I have the flow control valve set so that when I raise the plow it will stay up, to lower it I have to open it up more to get it to drop manually because it will not lower by using the controller. I had to replace the angle relief valve at the end of last season, could this have anything to do with my problem. What do you think my problem could be?

11. bliz&hinikerDLR

Put the plow in float and open the flow control valve so that the the plow lowers to the ground. Now that you have fixed the problem of the plow not lowering, see this thread http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=158374 to diagnose your new problem of the plow not staying up.

12. Foscsv

Foscsv Junior Member

Thanks for your help, I'll that the S5 solenoid out again and clean it up and see what happens.