1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard for 03 Chevy 2500HD

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NSSM, Sep 4, 2003.

1. NSSM

NSSM Junior Member

Does anyone have a Blizzard 810 on the front of thier chevy's or gmc's? I am slightly nervous about the weight of the plow. I would like to try the Blizzard, but I don't want to destroy the truck.

Thanks for your input.
  2. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

I would also like to try the Blizzard.I don't think after adjusting up your torsion bars the weight would be an issue. My only concern would be the power wings. What happens if you hit something with the wings and bend them? will they still operate?how easy are they to repair & cost wise? what will be the downtime? you can't tell me that isn't a reality...I think the plow is a great idea ,the only other thing I don't like is the paint finish.I have seen a couple of blizzards that were used last year they look like they are ten years old, the demo's that my retailer has that have never seen winter are rusting in the seams like crazy. I think you boys at blizzard should address this if i'm going to spend almost five grand on a top of the line snowplow I should at least get more that one season out of the finish. Now how about some good realistic feedback from die-hard blizzard users I want to buy these plows but I need answers....:confused:
  3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I dont know exactly what a blizzard weighs but with some ballast you can take some weight off the nose. What motor/tranny are you running? What bars do you have in it/whats the front capacity? 4800# I hope. I'm going to run a 870# plow on my 03 reg cab 2500HD 4x4 chevy with a duramax/allision. According to fisher I will be ok with 1000# of balast in the back. I will also run trimberns(sp?) wich I have no proir experience with but come highly recomended from this site. Dont mean what I'm doing is right but, we will see if my plan wil work out....... :rolleyes:

If you go to fishers site and find thier selection guide it has some good info in the begining with some deccent equations and such for figuring how much weight you will put on the nose.

4. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I have a blizzard 810 on my 2001 chevy 3500 and it handles the plow fine.The 810 is about 1000 pounds.
  5. Rob Hausrath

Rob Hausrath Member

The new GM 2500HD / 3500HD trucks do a fine job of handling the weight of the Blizzard Model 810 Power Plow if you keep the following in mind:

- The plow is by no means a lightweight plow. It is built for the productivity that professionals demand. You should (if you have the option) seek out a truck with the highest Front Axle Weight Rating (FAWR) that the General offers.

- Some users have had their torsion bars adjusted and trucks realigned to help support additional weight.

- A set of Timbren Load Boosters can make a really big difference.

- With the Blizzard Power Hitch, the plow goes back on the truck so quickly and easily that you don't mind taking the plow off EVERY TIME you finish plowing.

In reference to the questions regarding the wings... The wings, when pitched forward, are protected by a built-in relief valve so that when the inevitable happens (you + your truck X 15 MPH) + immoveable object = OUCH!........ Sorry... don't know where the silly equation came from!

Anyway.... the wing will relieve and drop back to a flat-against-the-moldboard position and trip forward like a conventional trip blade.

There are videos of this on the www.blizzardplows.com website.

And I feel I should mention... I have been a Blizzard Dealer since their first year (1999). At this point I have only had to replace damaged wings on two occasions that I can recall. they are as follows:

- 1st guy, on his 2nd or 3rd night of plowing with his new 810, forgot that his wings were extended, and backed up and his wing caught a tree branch while in reverse. The guys at Blizzard admittedly did not design the blade to take a shot from the backside at the upper / outer corner. It pulled the wing forward so that it was bent away from the moldboard when it was fully retracted. Actually we straightened it iut for him, but for cometic reasons, he wound up having us put a new wing on...

- 2nd guy was banking snow, blade tripped, truck shifted sideways, wing slid under a FedEx pick up box and the two got tangled up. Wing was bruised, FedEx box was tore up! What are the chances???

I hope I've been of some help!
  6. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Excuses just postpone the inevitable! Just Do It!:D