1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard engineers should be fired

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by turbo38sfi, Jan 21, 2010.

1. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

1st let me say that when the plow is working properly, I love it! This is my 1st season with the 8100PP but I have to say, the engineers should be shot.

Easy on/off...gimme a break! The feet design of the plow is the worst. You have to walk to the opposite side of the truck 2 twice to take it on and off, what a horrible design.

The ratcheting foot..yea, another terrible thought. How about a foot on one side that just works!

The power claw??? Yea, let's make that hang down a bit lower so it actually drags on the ground while plowing.

The rubber connectors for power and lights...try getting them off when it's nice and cold out.

Having come from a Snoway plow, I appreciate their design so much more now that I no longer have it.

All my gripes aside, the plow just makes pushing snow faster!

Oh yea..and I've "broken" the same wing twice now...once it would not stay scooped...fixed under warranty. Pressure issue. Now it won't retract..havent' taken it back yet to be fixed.

Now I hear of a recall on the pins...

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

And you abandoned Snoway why?:laughing::laughing:

3. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Yea, Yea, I know. Like I said..when it's working, it's a great plow...but the design is baaaddddd!!!

That said, the Revolution plow is...umm..let's not go there either!!

:gunsfiring: to ******* blizzard engineers!

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I don't think the DDizzard and the Revo are comparable. They really are two different animals. The Revo design is either a big blade or a highly adjustable box pusher for working large areas. As opposed to the "big blade-little blade" multi versatile design of the DDizzards.

5. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

is the 810 the new DD Design or the older style?

6. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

810 is the older design. 8100 is the newer and improved sh!tty design!

7. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Hmmm..what happened to the Snoway forum?

It was actually one of the best ones there was when looking for Snoway info because of contributers like Basher and Toby. You could get a response in a matter of an hour. the Blizzard forum is usually dead and if you need a fast answer, you're SOL.

8. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

I thought it was a typo. I thought all the improvements DD made where to improve those issues?:laughing:

9. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

If its low to the ground, you must be running a GMC

10. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Ha ha, ain't that the truth. I was looking at a new-ish 2500hd with an 8 foot Diamond the other day, between the design of the plow, the low frontend of the truck and probably no ballast, he didn't have three inches beneath the plow mount with the blade raised.

I have mine raised up a half inch higher than Blizzard recommended for max height, oversized tires and cranked purple t-bars, and mine isn't as high as I'd like. I miss my old 70s and 80s GMs with 4 inch lift kits and chain lift Fishers.

11. Detroitdan

The only Snoways I've ever seen in person were little plastic homeowner things that didn't look very rugged at all. So it's hard for me to not associate the name with cheap flimsy stuff. Even a Snoway dealer who shall remain unnamed told me that I could buy a new Snoway heavy duty commercial type V plow if I wanted, but if I really wanted a tough plow I should stick with a Blizzard.

I have the same kind of personal opinion about Meyers. Never seen one that didn't look like a flimsy cheap piece of junk, so it always amazes me when I see people on here who have them on 1-tons and love them. I don't even much like Diamond anymore since their name is now linked to Meyers, although they used to be nearly a copy of Fisher. I actually have a friend with an 82 1 ton 2wd with a Fisher conventional, with a 9 foot Diamond blade on it. The blade has a better angle to it for rolling snow, which is nice because he plows public roads with it and has for many years. Gotta love these old-timers. Everyone else goes out and buys a brand new F350 4wd diesel and spends 6 grand on a new plow, and his little 350 4 speed 2wd with a hydraulic plow will be here long after their gone.

Sorry I went a little off topic. I'm just rambling.

12. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

The new power hitch sits lower then the old style. Haven't looked at one up close yet, but I was told it's an ultra mount with a draw latch.

13. tubbykid

tubbykid Junior Member

i agree for the most part ........we use to have boss and now switched to all blizzards .......we hav had far more problems with the blizzard than the boss but hav learned what parts to stock ........is it a faster plowing plow.....yes by far does it equal out for the repairs vs. faster plow time .......i dont know ??? but i do feel that they could make some real good adjustments to it to make it very durable........just my oppinion

14. Detroitdan

I never really had hardly any trouble until the last couple years. My 810 is just getting seriously old and worn out. It's a 99, one of the first ones Blizzard ever made. I've been pounding on it and tryingto drive through it for years, so I can't really complain. But now I'm stuck with either making repairs all the time or buying a new one. And a new one won't adapt to all my truck side stuff, so I'm kind of stuck.

15. LTLANDSCAPING

LTLANDSCAPING Member

I have an 810PP. I bought it in 2007, so I assume it is the new style. I have only had two problems with it so far; 1) I blew the rubber gasket betweent he reservoir and the hydraulic pump and 2) I had the same problem as the guy who posted above whose wing didn't fold back in. I don't know how much faster it plows snow then your typical straight plow because I've never used one before. I am running it on a 07 f350 diesel dually with a mason dump. It scrapes sometimes on driveways with a steep lip at the road but I am able to clear curbs without scraping if I lift the plow all the way. Just my two sense. I would buy another 810PP if I bought another truck LARGE enough to support it!

16. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Thats a good one. It is what they want you to believe :laughing:, but it is sooooo not true.

And the sad thing is. They refuse to accept that they F'ed up. So they think its the best thing to ever happen to the blizzard line.

17. Got Diesel?

Got Diesel? Junior Member

Isn't this the truth.... I was talking with my local dealer about the attitude that DD had about the new product line and they (DD) clearly run through life with blinders on, a truly arrogant attitude.

DD is the worst thing to ever happen to blizzard. When they were in Calumet, I could call them and have a undercarriage made to spec if I found an issue with it. I have had my LP in for more stupid stuff (cracked a frame =crappy weld was the last) than I have since 2000 when I became a dealer.

18. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

The motor isnt' actually built by Blizzard. DD just put a cheeper pump on the plow now. That has been a problem, every year the pumps get cheeper and cheeper. If your wings are not coming back in you may need an extra spring in there. Yes some snow and ice does get back in there but, I never had issues with it getting stuck. After running it in and out a few times it cleans itself out. Maybe because I have some mods on mine:rolleyes:

It is so frustraiting when they change things for simply asthetics, Not for functionality. Just because it takes a few extra minutes to hook up your plow. I dont' know about you but the few extra minutes it takes to hook up my plow is well made up in the time it saves me actually plowing and the quality and beefiness (which leads to dependability) of the plow.

I still have yet to hear how all these "improvements" DD did made the plow that much better??:rolleyes: All I am hearing is negative feedback.:nod:

19. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

So far the only positive things i have heard about their "improvements" is that its easier to connect and its lighter. Thats it. They did a lot more harm then good.

20. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

So they sacraficed quality and beefiness for nothing?:cry:

It just sucks because I can't get a new plow for my trucks if I want to. I have change over everything:realmad: