1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard Discussion 11/5 - 11/9

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Michael J. Donovan, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

Hello Everyone!

Also this year, another one of our sponsors, Blizzard Plows, will be hosting a discussion here in the snow removal forum. The discussion will begin on Monday 11/5 and run until Friday 11/9. Be sure to read the discussion and feel free to participate.

2. Blizzard Rep

Blizzard Rep Sponsor

Thanks Michael and all other plowsite members for the welcome.

We are looking forward to a productive and worthwhile discussion regarding Blizzard products, as well as snow and ice removal issues in general.

We are looking forward to the week!

Blizzard

3. IMPACT 1

IMPACT 1 Junior Member

are there any new updates or developments from last year's plow?

4. Blizzard Rep

Blizzard Rep Sponsor

IMPACT 1 -

Regarding your inquiry, are you speaking in general terms regarding "last year's plow", and perhaps the entire Blizzard line? Or did you have a particular model you were referring to?

Thanks for the post...!

5. IMPACT 1

IMPACT 1 Junior Member

Sorry, I was reffering to the 810, I thought there were problems with the wing cylinders bending, but I was also told that was fixed?

6. dubster23

dubster23 Junior Member

What's going on with the changes on the plows I'm hearing about? Such as next year(s) mounting system being one that the lights are removed with the plow, changing the cylinders to match Westerns current smaller ones, etc.? Just trying to see what changes are in the works for these overall?

7. Blizzard Rep

Blizzard Rep Sponsor

dubster23 - Thanks for the post. Regarding your inquiries...

We are in the process of developing, and will be field testing this winter, a modification to the Power Hitch system, which incorporates a removable light tower. The new design will be tested on one model in particular, that being the 760 LT. This model is also being tested with the 1-1/2" x 10" cylinders. As you referred to, this size of cylinder is consistent with some of the other models offered within the light commercial segment.

Hope this helps! Thanks again for the post!

8. Blizzard Rep

Blizzard Rep Sponsor

IMPACT1 -

Regarding wing cylinders bending, speaking strictly from a warranty perspective, we have not seen an abnormally high number of claims regarding these extension cylinders. I know that nothing has changed specification-wise with the cylinder.

Attempting to troubleshoot... valve settings might contribute or lead to potentially bending a cylinder (i.e. if relief valves are out of adjustment). Hope this helps, and if you have any additional questions, let us know.

Thanks for the post!

9. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

truck side mounts

I have 2 Ford F350DRW Both with 8611LP I start off by saying that I have Plowed for a living( winter time) for over 20 years... and now that I have moved over to using Blizzard plows There is no going back.. If FOR SOME REASON I could not use a 8611 on my truck I have NO desire to plow With an out dated straight plow..

With that said. I am having problems with the wings on the 8611 LP s I had to have all 4 replaced after one season of plowing and the dealer made reinforcements on the inside of them.. hopefully this problem is over..

On to next problem; Truck side frame. Both sides on both are bent. I heard that Blizzard had a heaver replacement part.. I just picked up all new truck side parts and the new ones are just the same as the last set.. What am I to do ? Install them and go through the same problems? Pay to have these parts "reinforced" or try and find some one that knows what is going on at Blizzard ?? any help with this matter would be great!! Thanks Karl

10. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Future of Blizzard

With the aquisition of Blizzard by DD what can we expect of the Blizzard line? Will it be phased out and the expandable features absorbed into the existing Western and Fisher lines? Will the line be redesigned and continue to be sold under the Blizzard name? I heard the line was being "lightened up" as the plows were deemed overbuilt is this true? Will current Western and Fisher dealers be able to sell and service the Blizzard line?

Thanks for your time!

11. Blizzard Rep

Blizzard Rep Sponsor

rcpd34,

Thanks for the post! As for your inquiry...

1) There are absolutely no plans to "phase out" out the Blizzard brand. Douglas is as committed to growing the line as was its previous owners. Recently posted on the Blizzard Web site (www.blizzardplows.com) was a bulletin that was sent to Blizzard distribution re-iterating the dedication to the brand, and the steps that are being taken to ensure its success. (The link is located at the top of the homepage).

2) Regarding your comment on "absorbing" the "expandable features" into the Western and Fisher lines... released this year was a Western and Fisher version of a Blizzard 810 Power Plow. The motive to introduce a red and yellow option was not done to "phase out" the Blizzard model; rather, further grow one of the most innovative, efficient, productive, and popular blades in the industry.

3) Regarding your comment on "redesigning the line, continuing to be sold under the Blizzard name"... as stated above, there are no plans to discontinue the Blizzard brand. The brand will continue to exist and enjoy the same amount of success Western and Fisher has enjoyed over the years. Regarding "redesigning", we continuously look for ways to improve further upon already successful products. Where opportunities exist for improvement, we try our best to take advantage of them. And as for "lightening the line", naturally, one of the balances we as a manufacturer must juggle is the weight vs. vehicle application dynamic. However, there are many things that make the Blizzard brand what it is today (weight, rugged attributes, etc.) We understand this importance, and we certainly will consider these things, if and when, models are slotted for improvement, enhancement, etc.

And lastly 4) Regarding your comment on the ability of Western and Fisher dealers to sell and service the Blizzard brand: the dynamic between Blizzard, Western and Fisher distributors will continue to be the same, just as it was with Western and Fisher prior to the acquisition. Blizzard has its own authorized distributors, just as Western has its own, and Fisher has its own. Just because Blizzard is now under Douglas ownership does not allow that Blizzard distributor to have "access" to the Western line or the Fisher line. The same holds true for Western distributors as well as Fisher distributors.

Hope this helps shed a little insight into your questions...

Again, thanks for the post, and your support in Blizzard!

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

AFAIK, the bent wing cylinders were being caused by incorrect hookup of the hoses on the manifold. They were being hooked up backwards and eliminating the relief valve when the plow is in the fully angled forward position, so when an obstacle was hit, no hydro relief and the weakest link was the cylinder.

The new updated truck side frame is specifically for the 450\550's. So unless you ask for the heavier duty version, you would receive the same one again. I will be getting my 350 upgraded to the newer style shortly as well, after bending the living snot out of mine. Funny thing is I didn't notice it until the middle of summer.

13. Blizzard Rep

Blizzard Rep Sponsor

Karl -

Thanks for the post and the support in Blizzard! Regarding your post:

Other than a possible root cause that Mark O. had pointed out, it is difficult to troubleshoot via the thread. If not already done so, I would contact your Blizzard distributor where a claim can be submitted. Being located in NE PA, have you contacted Saylorsburg Metal Works?

14. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Just thought I should chime in here and point out that I have been very happy with the Blizzard Plows. I have purchased 4 of them over the past 3 years (currently have 3) and they are great. I have only good things to say about them. Nice to see a rep on here that we can ask questions of. So here is a concern that I have not directly encountered but seems to get posted on here over and over... many people have had problems getting customer support from Blizzard. What are you doing to fix that? Mostly related to warranty concerns or just technical assistance.

I have a hard time talking up your product when you don't support it.

15. Blizzard Rep

Blizzard Rep Sponsor

jhook:

We have 2 customer support teams here at Blizzard 1 for customer service which deals mainly with orders, billing and shipping and the other for technical service which mainly deals with installation, transfer, troubleshooting and warranty issues. These teams directly support our authorized distributors and are available for questions at all times during normal business hours (currently 7am - 4:30 pm central time). We have a warranty program that authorizes any of our direct distributors to provide warranty to customers within the specified warranty period (currently 1 year). Our tech service team analyzes these warranty returns and have equipment to load test electrical and hydraulic components. We also repair hydraulic units (pump assy. and manifold) within the warranty period.

Hope this helps,

Brian
    Blizzard tech service

16. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

let me start by saying i love the plow 8611 on gmc 5500 4X4 we have had no NO prob.s and i want it to stay that way, my Q' i have heard that the wing cyl. support boxes are week and needs strengthened up is this B/S or should i get the welder out is there an upgrade kit produced by blizzard?

Thanks Rick

17. SnowRock

SnowRock Junior Member
    from Midwest

Blizzard Controls

I'm about to get into the snow plow business and I was wondering if the controls that your currently use on your plows going to change anytime soon? I really would like to see a handheld control for your system. I'm still not sure which plow I'm going to go with, but I really dig the Blizzard Plow. Thank you!:drinkup:

18. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

Trouble with 07 Chevy 3500 wiring

Hello,

I just tried to pickup my new 810 installed on my 2007 Chevy 3500 new style. The left wing was not functioning even though the motor was engaging. After plugging and unplugging the main harness, the installer and I got it to work. However, the plug is a very tight fit and is not seating all the way.

The installer was going to call tech support for help but I was wondering if there were any reports or problems already on this issue.

Chris

19. Blizzard Rep

Blizzard Rep Sponsor

powerjoke

Glad to hear you love your 8611. Now all we need is some snow!

The fact that Blizzard does not offer a an upgrade kit should be testimony that the 8611 wing cylinder support boxes are strong enough. This plow has been in existence for several years now in it's current design so I would say leave the welder where it is.

Bill
    Blizzard Technical Service

20. Blizzard Rep

Blizzard Rep Sponsor

SnowRock,

Thanks for your interest in Blizzard products and we wish you good fortune in your new snow plowing endeavor.

We are currently testing a hand held control in conjunction with the new 760, but for the immediate future there are no plans to release a handheld control.

Since we have been hosting websites this week there have been several requests and debates over handheld held controllers. We appreciate the input on this topic and may have to investigate this type of control if this is what the market is requesting.

Bill
    Blizzard Technical Service