1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard Discussion 11/17 - 11/21

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Michael J. Donovan, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

Hello Everyone!

Once again this year, another one of our sponsors, Blizzard Plows, will be hosting a discussion here in the snow removal forum. The discussion will begin on Monday 11/17 and run until Friday 11/21. Be sure to read the discussion and feel free to participate.

2. blizzardtech

blizzardtech Sponsor
    from midwest

Good Morning PlowSite,

My name is Brian Kaat from Blizzard Tech service dept. I have 10 years of technical experience with Douglas Dynamics and look forward to answering your questions this week.

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Blizzardtech - I don't have a question, just a request. Once your week of Q&A is over you don't have to leave the site and wait until next year to answer questions again.

Every other factory rep (minus Sno Way) takes off right after their week is over :cry: I'm sure there are 100's of Blizzard users on here who would enjoy your presence on the site all year around.

Just a thought :waving:

4. blizzardtech

blizzardtech Sponsor
    from midwest

Camden,

Thanks for the invite. As you can imagine from now until March our dept. gets pretty busy taking care of warranty, troubleshooting and installation questions. I know some of the sales/marketing guys keep an eye the site to see if any unusual problems arise, but the tech dept. is normally too busy. I will try to do a better job checking in on the site from time to time but everyday monitoring is unlikely. Thanks again for your input.

Blizzardtech

5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I just have two requests:

1.) a handheld remote (like I have seen being tested in another thread on here)
    2.) That future models use the same mount system so as I add more plows they will all interchange (I heard a rumor with the new DD purchase that the mounts would be changing)

Thanks, I love the 810!

ps, need better lights too!!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  6. blizzardtech

blizzardtech Sponsor
    from midwest

Image,

The handheld is currently available on the 7600LT and should be available on our other plows in the future. We also offer Halogen (Stormseeker) lights for the 7600LT also.

It is too early to tell if the mounts will be changing on the HD plow line. They did change for the 7600LT.

Blizzardtech

7. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

Blizzard and Fisher

I thought Fisher was now making the Blizzard. are ther any differences between the Fisher 8-10 and the Blizzard other than the color?

8. blizzardtech

blizzardtech Sponsor
    from midwest

Snow game,

While the Fisher and Blizzard (XLS vs 810) do function in much the same way many of the components are different. The blade structure is not similar at all as the Fisher is a trip edge system and the Blizzard a trip blade. The hydraulic systems are quite different also using different cartridge valve and relief valve components. Obviously the attachment systems are unique to each plow manufaturer as well. Blizzard uses the hydraulicly powered Power Hitch system which grabs the push beam on the vehicle undercarriage with a hydraulic draw latch which pulls the plow into the truck mount. Fisher uses the minute mount 2 attachment system.

Blizzardtech

9. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Don't forget the Blizzard is stronger!

10. davespark

davespark Junior Member
    from MN-WI

Any thoughts on a program accepting competitors blades on trade? Some way to create an incentive for people to switch (from Boss in my case, an 8'2 V)

-dave

11. blizzardtech

blizzardtech Sponsor
    from midwest

I don't see anything coming down the pike on that issue at a factory level, but many of our distributors are willing to take in trades and deal with multiple lines of plows.

Blizzardtech

12. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Just got the new mounts put on my 08' F450 and F550 Trucks. Wow talk about a difference in style from my 06' F350. I would have to say, much better built / designed mount, tighter to the truck, all DD design. Looks like a western ultramount. hopefully they can withstand the beating I am going to give them, never has a problem with my 06' mount so we will see. Any comments?

13. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

New look,
    I noticed you have a couple 6.4"s, do you like them? I'm looking into a new truck right now, I think I may make the switch back to a gas motor, because I'm on the road a lot put on a ton of miles. About this time I roll my current truck into the fleet where it gets no miles (my 06 350 superduty has 109k on it) and get a new one. I have seen forums where guys say 8mpg for the new 6.4 Fords, my 6.0 only gets 14mpg from day one til now. What do you get for mileage with the 6.4? I have a fleet of larger trucks for hauling and towing so even when I roll my truck into the fleet it doesn't see a lot of hard work until it snows and we only get about 12 -18 events a year. I can get a new Chevy loaded extra cab for 26,999 as opposed to 35000 for the cheapest diesel Ford Gm and Dodge are all in the same ball park

14. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

The 6.4 is a nice motor. It is quiet, super strong but has some odd things with it. Tons of exhaust cleaning events, which burns fuel and lowers mpg for the time being, seems to not like the cold at all, and it takes some getting used to compared to the 6.0 driving wise. The only reason I have two of them was it was time to buy new trucks other than a pickup for myself and I happened to get 0% on both 6 months apart. Both trucks get about 6-7mpg MAX, but the are F450, F550 Dump Trucks keep in mind. I also hear the F350 pickups don't get much better, in the range of 7-10 mpg. Anyways .... overall I like them, but I like the truck body style, weight ability, etc better so I guess the motor just comes along.

My 06' F350 has about 80,000 on her now, sounds like we drive the same in our daily drivers and myself ... I would never switch back to a gasser, ever. The motors just don't last, I hated mine for plowing, it was weak and always seemed to have the stupid crap break on it. Seems to me that the diesel is just tougher for the harsher environment plus stronger. No what brand of truck, that is up to you. I like Ford, always been a Ford guy, the new trucks have double walled frames, the best paint on the market, heavy duty springs/coils, and I have never had a (diesel) trans of 4x4 problem. I spent the money and was around 40,000 for cab/chassis only then had to put the upfit on them for the 08's. Pickup back in the day I think was 45000 out the door loaded. PM me if you got any questions. I plan on putting up some pics soon. Ken