1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard Discussion 10/18 - 10/22

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Michael J. Donovan, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

Hello Everyone!

Again this year, Blizzard Plows, will be hosting a discussion here in their forum. The discussion will begin on Monday 10/18 and run until Friday 10/22. Be sure to read the discussion and feel free to participate.

This open discussion will be hosted by Brian Kaat of their Technical Service Department, and Dan Bousman from their Product Marketing group. Please join us for what is sure to be an informative session, and thanks in advance for your participation.

2. moserjj

moserjj Junior Member

I'm looking at a 720LT in near new condition at a local auction. It's plow only, no controller or wiring. Using Power Match on the blizzard website, I've determined the right controller, mount and headlight wiring needed. What I'm not sure about is the wiring needed to hook up the plow to the truck (2008 Toyota Tacoma). So far, the parts dealers I've contacted were not sure either. Can you help with what is needed? Is it a universal wiring harness? I don't plan on using the lights, the plow will service my own driveway only anyway. Part number for the UC is B351144, HL wiring B62220 and joystick controller was B62073. What else will be necessary? Thanks for your help.

3. blizzardtech

blizzardtech Sponsor
    from midwest

moserjj:

You would not need the B62220 if you do not intend to utilize plow lights. You will need the B62150 vehicle harness and B80051 power contactor (solenoid). The control you selected is correct.

Brian Kaat
    Blizzard Technical Service

4. moserjj

moserjj Junior Member

Thanks Brian, very helpful information.

5. blizzardtech

blizzardtech Sponsor
    from midwest

Hello Everyone!

My name is Brian Kaat from Blizzard Snow and Ice Equipment. I have worked in the Technical Service Dept. in the snow and ice industry for 11 years. I look forward to using this experience to help answer all of your questions this week along with the assistance of my colleague Dan Bousman.

6. Dan - Blizzard

Dan - Blizzard Sponsor

Blizzard Forum

Hello everyone,

My name is Dan Bousman and I have been working in the snow and ice business for twenty two years and involved with the Blizzard brand since 2006. I work in our marketing department and will try to answer any marketing questions that you may have this week.

Thanks for allowing Brian and I the opportunity to host the Blizzard forum. We look forward to your questions and comments.

Dan Bousman
    Senior Product Manager
    Blizzard Snowplows

7. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Cool. Thanks for being here. Any chance you could get more dealers in the Cleveland, OH region?

8. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

hello, i just picked up my new 8100 installed on my truck and noticed that the ground clearance is not at all what i am used to on my plow trucks. I have owned 5 other blizzards (all 8-10's and still own 3 of them) My 8100 is installed on a 08 chevy 2500 and my 8-10's are on 03 chevy 2500, 03 chevy 2500 ext cab, 05 chevy ext cab. all of the old plows i have had no problem with clearance over curbs when plowing snow. but with the 8100 the undercarriage is different and when the plow is attached i only have about 5 inches of ground clearance. I bottomed out on my way home with it going thru an intersection. Was my plow installed wrong or is this how the new set up is going to be? I also had the dealer install timbrens to the front end. (they said it would help stiffen the front suspension) dont know if that matters or not. i am just concerned with the lack of ground clearance on the truck side undercarriage. any info would be appreciated

9. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

oh also when i called the dealer the first time they told me that blizzard had a fix for the problem but they were waiting to get it shipped to them, the second time i called they said blizzard had not completed the fix yet. does blizzard have a fix for this and if so can you explain to me what the fix is? thanks again

10. tac48

tac48 Member

I recently had a 8100 installed on my 03 chevy 2500hd ext cab. This is my first Blizzard plow. After removing the plow and driving the truck, I immediately noticed some clunking from the front, mostly on turns. I found the inner portion of the truck mount is sliding back and forth on the pins and making noise. I can see some minor wear on the pins and the mount already and I have not even plowed yet.
    I an curious as to the engineering behind this "floating" inner portion of the mount. I have installed a rubber strap to keep it from banging around for now. Should there be some insulators installed or is this how it is designed to be?

My first couple of experiences attaching and detaching the plow from the truck left me unsure of how well I like the procedure to get the stands up and down. I am sure I will get more used to it as time goes on and may eventually come to like it more. I was told the design was heavily influenced by liability issues.

As MSU1510 stated above, I was wondering about the clearance of the truck mount when I have the plow on. I noticed the mount was very close to hitting the curb at the gas station with out the plow on. I will have to recheck this once I air up the tires more, adjust the torsion bars, and add ballast, but mount just seems low to me.

I think you guys participating in this forum is great. I think it would be even better to have another one once the snow is flying and we get some time with the plows on the ground.
    Thanks for your time.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  11. hosenfeffer

hosenfeffer Senior Member
    from nh

drop speed

Is there another way to check adjust drop speed on an 8ft speed wing?
    The adjustment seems to have no effect at all. New install and it is another 2 hours to the local dealer for them to look at it.
    And what is the normal tolerances for crate rash /paint chips in your plows?
    Have to agree with the previous post on low mount of the truck side frame.

12. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

I love the Blizzard Plows that we have (we currently have 4). My only complaint is the local dealer who used to be really good but then sold to another guy and he doesn't know a thing. I was just wondering how you decide who gets to be a dealer and what it takes to be one? The old dealer plowed himself and you could get ahold of him any time of the night. The new guy usually doesn't know what we are even talking about..

13. Dan - Blizzard

Dan - Blizzard Sponsor

Pinky,

I will pass your request on to our sales group who maintain our Blizzard distribution network. If you haven't already, please check out the dealer locator on our recently redesigned website. It is the best place to find out what Blizzard dealers are in your area and it is updated whenever new distribution is added.

Thanks for the question,

Dan

14. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Will the new style 86110lp's have the same issue that was mentioned above? Our old style ones like to wear out and drop closer and closer to the ground every year. Very annoying, and the fix isn't cheap.

15. blizzardtech

blizzardtech Sponsor
    from midwest

msu1510:

GM trucks have had an issue with ground clearance since the new body style was released in 1999. There are several steps you can take to maximize the available ground clearance. The first step with the Powerhitch 2 system is to take a measurement from the ground to the center of mount adapter mounting hole on the undercarriage. This should be a minimum of 12.5". The appropriate balance (up to 1000 lbs) needs to be installed behind the rear axle. The mount adapter can be installed at this time using the height adjustment plates if necessary. When using the height adjustment plates a spacer can be used to reduce sideplay. The truck tire pressure should be adjusted to the max spec as they are often set lower at the factory to give a better ride. The torsion bars can be adjusted using the Z height adjustment method. Lastly if the truck is still on the low side you may want to consider an aftermarket method to improve the suspension such as Timbren load supports or air bags. Also as a final note the mount adapter was designed to be removable to return ground clearance back to factory spec when not plowing.

Brian Kaat
    Blizzard Tech Service

16. Dan - Blizzard

Dan - Blizzard Sponsor

Dodge 2500,

This is certainly a situation that our sales group will want to know about. Our dealer relationships with customers like yourself are very important to us. If you can send me an e-mail at info@blizzardplows.com with the name and location of the distributor in question, I will forward the information to the sales team so they can follow up.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention,

Dan Bousman

17. blizzardtech

blizzardtech Sponsor
    from midwest

tac48:

We do offer a spacer (pn 63212) to help reduce the floating of the mount adapter. This is typically used when height adjustment plates are attached. We did update the pin you referred seeing minor wear on to a hardened pin (pn 40517-1). You may want to check to make sure it is the correct one.

Brian Kaat
    Blizzard Tech Service

18. blizzardtech

blizzardtech Sponsor
    from midwest

Hosenfeffer:

Is this an 860SW or an 8600SW you are referring to?

Brian Kaat
    Blizzard Tech Service

19. blizzardtech

blizzardtech Sponsor
    from midwest

Pristine PM ltd:

Please elaborate on which issue you are referring to. Also, by "old style ones" do you mean 8611lp's, and what in particular wears out?

Brian Kaat
    Blizzard Tech Service

20. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

I know for a fact, Blizzard reps visited this dealer last week ;;

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.