1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard, Diamond or Fisher? Or Curtis or Boss or Western or???? HELP me choose!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by homey1, Nov 1, 2004.

1. homey1

homey1 Member

I need professional advice guys.
    I currently have a 1989 Ford Bronco with a 7 1/2 Fisher on it. I live and work in the same building so the Bronco really never leaves the yard and its not insured or registered, but it could be. My parking lot is about 9 spaces. Now the Bronco is getting old and I am moving next summer to a new house 4 miles away, with a 1/4 mile long access road and 2 driveways. So my needs are changing a lot next year and I'm worried about the 15 year old Bronco's reliability. I have a 1999 Ford F250 SD 8cyl. that runs great and it is insured and registered. Should I sell the Bronco and put a plow on the SD?

I have priced a few plows.
    Blizzard 800 8' - $3,506 installed.
    Fisher 8' HD - $3,961 installed.
    Diamond 8' MD2 slightly used $2,750 installed
    Diamond 8' MD2 with touchpad (new) $3,107 installed.

I'm looking for something easy to mount/dismount and a plow that is nearly maintenance free, since I am not mechanically inclined. I live in Northern Vermont with average snowfall of about 275 inches. HELP!!!!!!!!
  2. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Welcome to the forum.. :waving:

If you are looking for something that mounts quick, that a look at the Western Ultra Mount equipment.

I can mount my 8'6" MVP (V-plow) to the truck in under 30 seconds..

All commercial grade plows will do what you want, in the end it comes down to the dealer. Pick the dealer that will support their product and possibly be open 24hrs during a storm in case of break down.

Good luck!
  3. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

8' Boss here

I've never owned other plows, so there's no basis for me to make any comparisons.

But, I can say that my new Boss plow is really easy to mount and dismount with it's SmartHitch2 system. All you have to do is line up your truck with the plow, connect up the power to your truck and flip a toggle switch on the plow. That sucker literally 'jumps' up onto your truck like you wouldn't believe. The locking pins engage with a loud 'snap' and it's done. The only thing that can make it tough is the height, if that's off then the lock pins won't engage and you may end up having to manually adjust the height of the plow with a jack, but it's no big deal to do.

Another thing I'll say is the Boss has very fast hydraulics. That 8 footer moves back and forth so fast my buddy said it reminded him of RoboCop.

And, lastly, the hydro pump on the Boss is encased for protection from damage and freezing, instead of just being mounted exposed on the plow frame. The guy in town who works on them told me last year he had over 20 Fisher's in with frozen hydraulics. Bosses.....zero.

Of course, to be fair, I think the fact that the Fisher is a much higher selling and more common plow around here may have more to do with it than maintenance issues. Statistics can be deceiving. Hope this is helpful to you.
  4. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

Homey -- I live right on the other side of Mt Mansfield from you and get the same amount of snow. One thing you didn't mention was the availability of dealers and parts nearby. I only looked at Fisher, Curtis and Blizzard for that reason...and ended up with the Curtis plow. Love it!

Anyway, while your mileage may vary, from what you say I would recommend something you could find service for within a reasonable distance from your home. Pete in Mansfield VT. :waving:
  5. dzines

dzines Junior Member

I live somewhere where there are hardly any dealers for any type of snowplow. They are all 1-2 hrs away!! I was looking for the same things as you when I bought my Curtis, and have not been disappointed. I can hook my plow up in less than 15 sec. unless the height is off, like someone said about their boss. But the curtis has its own jack that you can adjust to make it the right height.

I hear a lot of guys rave about Hinnekar plows in this area, too. Only, I don't see anyone that even mentions them on this site!! Dont know why?
  6. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

homey - Sell the Bronco but not before switching the plow on it over to the SD. Why spend the coin if you are only going to eb doing your own property!
  7. Snowplow newbie

Snowplow newbie Junior Member

I used to live in Jeffersonville off of 104. I know the amount of snow that you get. The Bronco is getting old and I would not transfer the old plow from that vehicle to the newer vehicle. You may run into problems with mounts and hydraulics. Depending on the condition of the Bronco depends on the amount you would get for it. You could try the equipment posts here, ebay, or even me. He he he.
    As far as the plow for the new truck you have to remember how far away you are from a dealer. Although for the first year you probably won't have many problems you may need some help or some parts. Now I know that many of the access roads up there are dirt roads so you need something that is going to be good on those types of roads, unless your road is paved. Essex is 1/2hr away and I'm not sure what dealers are there. St. Albans is there also. Choose the dealer that you are comfortable with, that is personable, and will be reliable if you have a problem.
    I have a Fisher X-blade on my truck, but I do not plow dirt roads or drives. It is for commercial lots and works great. I have seen quite a few people here that talk about the Western's or the Boss plows. All I can say is good luck and listen to many of the pro's here.

8. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

You are a property matinence guy that lives were he works I assume? now you are moving to a house that you own and you just want to keep the lane you own deccent along with your 2 driveways along with the lot that you have to keep clean as a part of your job?
  9. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

The Blizzards work very well also. They mount real quick and you don't have to be on level ground.
  10. homey1

homey1 Member

Close. I own the business where the small parking lot is and we have an apartment above it where we now live and will rent out when we move to the new house. So I will be plowing for my customers at the shop, the new tenants in this apartment and the driveways at my house. All are gravel/dirt. I think the plow on the 89 Bronco is too much of a pain to mount/dismount with the chain/hydraulics/pull pins and such that have to be removed every time I want to drive the truck for other reasons. I will probably keep the plow on alot in the winter, but when I drive more than 1/2 hour. I'll want to disengage it. I think there is a Curtis dealer near (40 min) from here.
  11. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

JMO but if you can leave the blade on the bronco and leave it there. Then when you do have to plow drive ther in your 99, plow and drive home. You got a 4x4 and you just want your house cleaned so do it when ever its convienent or it gets real bad. Or you could leave the bronco at your house, either way you gota make the trip back and forth with a blade on. That way you arnt beating up your new truck, the plow is always on and ready to go. The bronco should be fairly reliable, it it blows up or something breaks its not going to be the end of the world to not get your drive done and you could alwasy pay another contactor to plow your lot once.

JMO but put the proper stuff on the bronco and use it. I believe you can also get temporary tags for things like this that are quite a bit cheaper.

If you are thinking, hey I can get a new blade and plow a couple drives or lots or something with my 99 and make some quick side cash......remember the insurance!!! It will be cost prohibitive for you unless you do a deccent amount of lots. If you want to run without proper insurance then thats your call but you wont have any coverage if sombody slips and falls or the like or if you hit sombody while driving around your ins can drop you and have fun paying the bill at the next place you go for regular car insurance if your pollicy has been droped by another place. Ins co.s are scams :angry: but you gota deal :(
  12. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

You've got Curtis dealers all around you. Riverview Garage in Morrisville gave me the best price and service. Mansfield Motorcars in Waterbury Center is a new dealer. LBJ Market in Worchester, Twin City Equip in Berlin. For Blizzard you have the Chevy dealer in Waterbury, Yipes in Williston, or Gravel in Wolcutt. Fisher is all over the place. Good luck! Pete
  13. homey1

homey1 Member

Got a quote for a 8' Curtis trip edge installed for $3450. How's that sound?
  14. I've got a buddy that plows with me sometimes. He has a curtis plow setup that I think is 3 years old. Last year he had a hydraulic line blow on him, and this preseason startup showed that all cylinders were leaking fluid, he was not too happy. :cry:

just thought I'd let ya know.