1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard Controllers

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by fastjohnny, Feb 6, 2013.

1. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Several have asked me about alternatives to the shoebox PH1 blizzard controllers. I don't claim to have originated this concept, Jerre has done this long before me, and I have seen others with a similar concept.

I have used these controllers exclusively in my fleet of blizzard 810s for the last 8 years, with great success.

I use (on)off(on) toggles, same as used on the power hitch switch, much easier to use than rocker switches for the wing controls.

I use an additional momentary toggle for power downpressure. No extra wires are utilized, the stock harness is capable of supporting downpressure function, with no added plugs to connect/disconnect when mounting or unmounting the plow.

A slick stick runs normal right/left up/down function.

A pair of rockers for vehicle/plow light function, and power to plow or truck side controls round out the switches.

You couldn't pay me enough to use a shoebox control.....ussmileyflag

2. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Looks very functional. Thumbs Up Probably much less tiring on your fingers. Could use a little more sex appeal though. :drinkup Your next mission, add a both extend/retract function to your control.

How do you retain your draw latch to support the DP function?
  3. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

pinned to push beam on truck via a couple extra pieces of steel welded on the draw latch.

The wing switches work forward and backward so I can operate both at the same time forward is out back is in. Don't care much to be sexy, just functional!
  4. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

We made door mounts for the super duties also with this concept. The slick stick is a very functional and reasonable cost replacement switch. We've rewired them in the shoe boxes also.
  5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

We run these....

6. razr777

razr777 Senior Member
    from JERSEY

This is what we run and with the new design work's great never failed and don't get cramped up after 10 hrs. lol.
  7. SnowGuy73

Right on!

We've had them in both trucks now for three seasons, I'd never go back to a "shoebox".
  8. razr777

razr777 Senior Member
    from JERSEY

Hey i don't knock the box it has good and bad but the hand held is nice to i switch back and forth always good to have a backup.
  9. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Whats the problem with the "shoebox"? I don't think it's hard to use at all.
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed, I love them.
  11. LuckyPlower

LuckyPlower Senior Member

by shoebox I assume you mean the original stock controller box that you velcro around the console? if thats the case, its all I know and have no problems with using them. I would almost be hesitant to switch to anything else. Although I wouldn't mind trying that handheld controller for fun.
  12. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Could you provide any wiring details? I'm assuming the joystick isn't plug-n-play. Are there diodes or anything to convert to the slik stik?

I've got a straight blade that I'd like to mount on my tractor, and would like to just mount a slik stik on the dash.
  13. SNO-PRO

SNO-PRO Member

Snowguy73 where did you get that controller from?
  14. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

I second that ,does anyone know who makes that controller, or even where one could get that joystick in the first post
  15. SnowGuy73

Stonebrooke in Burnsville, MN.
  16. SnowGuy73

Nothing wrong with the shoebox, the handheld is just better fit for us. You can drive, shift, do whatever and control the blade all st once. I do a on of that especially while back dragging.
  17. razr777

razr777 Senior Member
    from JERSEY

18. SnowGuy73