1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard controller options?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Chris S., Dec 7, 2006.

1. Chris S.

Chris S. Junior Member

I know this topic has been beat to death, but how can a company with such innovation for making such great snow plows not be able to make a controller that also is better than the competion? My guess is that they want to make more money a few years down the road when they finally release a great controller instead of giving them away with plows they are currently selling. Sure would be nice to have a hand held like boss or western but I sure hope they even come up with something better if possiable.

2. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I have to agree. The 810 has to be the best plow on the market, but also gets the award for the worst controller, hands down. Either one for that matter (touch pad or the joystick).

I do think that the joystick controller was some WWII surplus thing that they found and just put the Blizzard logo on it.

Worse yet is the constant need to remove the thing. Mine is wrapped around the center console. I guess some brilliant engineer decided that I was a fool to buy a truck with a center console, and I did not need to go in there while plowing or for the rest of the winter for that matter. Even more so, in my Dodge, my change dispenser is in there. How do I get change for the coffee drive through?

Worse yet, the engineering specs on the connector they choose to use, is rated at 25 uses (meaning remove and connect). Normal practice in electrical engineering is to half life that (meaning 12.5 uses). This being the weakest link, Blizzard is saying that your plow is only good for 12 hookups, by engineering terms.

Either way, I tossed mine. After the buyout, I do hope the first thing D&D did was toss / fire whomever designed / approved the controller that Hilter would laugh at. :)

End of rant. Sorry.

Chris

3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

that clears that up for me. I was getting a little tired of my antique ('99) cinderblock sized controller and thinking about upgrading to a joystick for comfort and convenience. But it doesn't sound like it's any great thing, and my old one works fine, so I guess I'll stick with what I got.

4. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Dan,
    If only you had a Dodge, and 4 figures of cash lying around, I would make you a neat custom controller. :)

Chris

5. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

Sure wish Blizzard could come up with a wireless controller like my old Snoway had. It worked really good. Just don't lose it. :angry:

6. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I wonder if the 950lbs Blizzard quotes for the 810 includes the 24 pounds that the joystick controller weighs. Or do they consider that ballast?

Chris

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  7. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

reg cab its Ballast,

larger cab you have to add it to the plow weight

LOL

8. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

You could be onto the reasoning for the Blizzard joystick control. If you lose that thing in the cab you should not be driving. :)

Chris

9. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Ah that makes sense.

From this I would assume if you are running a diesel quad cab with an 810 and get pulled over by DOT for a weight check, you could take the controller with you and be underweight on the front axle.

Good to know.

LOL

Chris

10. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I must be one of the few owners that likes the joystick controller from blizzard. It works great and is comfortable for me. Maybe a problem on trucks with a bucket seat.

11. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

I was talking about Snoway controller, it's wireless and very easy to "miss place it" like the TV remote. LOL As far as Blizzard controller, it just sits on the passenger seat for now (and fall onto the floor).

I thinking about building a switch pannel for the dash that would have the Left & Right wing control toggles and the Power and lights toggle. The joy stick would be placed in a small plastic box to get mounted to the center console (via Velcro). That way, the joy stick would be the only thing to get unplugged and removed when it was not used.

12. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

My controller is made cheep plastic and it's only a pound or so. What's your made of Steel?

call_1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  13. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

OK I exaggerated a little. :)

14. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

I thought maybe older controllers weighted more. But I wasn't exaggerating about cheep plastic. It sucks, BIG TIME.

15. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Nope mine is cheap plastic as well. Not sure but I think they are all the same. If you want a good laugh, try to take the bottom tray off using the four (I have no idea what they are called other then slivers of plastic) "thingies" holding the thing together.

I chucked my joystick, now I am happy. I can even get change out of my center console for coffee while the plow is on.

Chris

PS do not remove the "thingies" mentioned above. they will break.

16. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Actualy I have just purchased mine in Nov. I have gotten used to it. I have a bench its comfortable for the most part, I'm left handed 'Go ahead make some jokes' so I steer with my left. The controller sits to the right of me so its no big deal. I consider this thing a Tranny saver. There no way to be cotrolling the plow, steering and shifting the truck all at the same time. I do like the handheld controllers better but...... Take the good with the bad.

17. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

So no console to raise it up? That would seem to be uncomfortable. With the console at least your could rest your elbow on it. But if it works then good for you. :)

18. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I thought the same thing. But its not that bad. Its pretty comfortable for the most part. Ten again I have only used it once so far. GD snow.

19. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Good the hear. :)

On the other hand, it is good to get these huge antique devices lower in the cab. Keeps the center of gravity down. :)

Chris