1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

blizzard clause

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MPF, Feb 9, 2003.

1. MPF

MPF Junior Member
    from MD.

HEY GUYS POSTED A THREAD COUPLE DAYS BACK ABOUT A PROPOSAL.THANKS FOR ALL THE GOOD INFO.ONE SUGGESTION WAS A BLIZZARD CLAUSE. WHAT TYPE OF PERCENT OF INCREASE OVER MY HOURLY RATE IS NORM?? AND ANY GOOD SUGGESTIONS TO INCLUDE IN THE BLIZZARD CLAUSE...

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

An example of one type of Blizzard Clause

Cost per snowfall: $50 3” to 6”
    75 over 6” to 9”
    100 over 9” to 12”
    100 + $1 per in over 12”

Amount billed will be based on total amount of snowfall per storm not to exceed any 24 hour period. In other words, if a storm lasted more than 24 hours, I expect that I would be pushing periodically throughout that 24 hours. 24 hours after the start of the storm would start a new billing cycle.

3. Mick

from Maine

In your situation, you may also want to provide for the need to use loader and trucks to remove snow. This would likely by an hourly rate.

4. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

good idea

I like the 24 hour per storm limit for a billable storm some storms never end , some storms I chase around the city trucks 3+ times . I always wonder what I would do in a TRUE blizzard guess if you can't keep up you can't keep up and where am i going to put it . and if they shut down the roads your screwed ..... I am no cowboy who will try to move a mountain of snow with a pickup truck

5. MPF

Mick said it best!

For small drive example:
    $20 3" up to 6"
    $30 6" to 9" (increased by 50%)
    $40 9" to 12" (increased by 100%)
    $75 minimum of 12" or more

But I am changing the 3" up to 6" since some customers have begun to tell me they want to wait (till it accumulates, I think they measure it).

My contracts will read:snow fall, not accumulated snow

2" to 5"
    6" to 8"
    9" to 11"

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Do not use a blizzard clause, the true definition of a blizzard is very hard to meet all the criteria. You can get 24" of snow and yet not have a blizzard. I use an excessive snowfall clause. That I can define what that means and charge accordingly.
    Dino

7. Mick

from Maine

Dino is right about the definition of "blizzard". In this context, I use "blizzard" to mean "a lot of snow".:D

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I understand what you mean Mick, however if you are dealing with a shrewd poroperty manager, they may call you on the blizzard clause.
    Dino

9. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

We do not run a blizzard clause either. The only thing in our contract is about heavy snowfall, is to expect us to run a little behind. We don't charge more, but we run a system where we charge every 3". Works well for us.

Thanks My 2 cents
    Rick

10. RodPhillips

RodPhillips Junior Member

For all who charge by the inch: Who determines the actual snow fall? Do you rely on the local weather service or do you as the owner of the plow service reserve the right to determine it?

11. Mick

from Maine

I do. In my bills, I indicate the date and the amount of snowfall. For a local guy/company, this would usually work well since there's a level of trust. I measure the amount of snow in my driveway which is high, flat and open. Alhough not the proper procedure, I just stick a tape measure in the ground where it had been packed down. Then I use that amount for all my accounts since they're relatively close to me. For a larger company, you'll want to use a reporting service and make copies of reported snowfall for each area. Then put it in your contracts that measurements will be charged according to an independent service.

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

Using an independant or local reporting service can be tough,as the snowfall amounts they report can be way less than what you actually have on the ground at your sites.Localized snowsqualls,blowing and drifting,etc also have to be figured in.

A cheap digital camera can be useful here too.Use the time and date stamp and take pics as you plow.Dump them off on your computer and keep them on hand in case of a dispute.

Another thing we do is to call the property mangaement co,or property owner (whoever foots the bill),right after the snowfall and explain what we did and why.Then then can see and remember what we did,so they don't freak when they get the bill at the end of the month.