1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard Clause ???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PGLC, Aug 23, 2009.

1. PGLC

PGLC Junior Member

I have been told that many operators use a "blizzard clause" in their contracts? I have never used this and am asking if someone can inform me of what this clause really is? My contracts are either seasonal or per push. I have done the research to estimate the number of pushes I will do in an average season to I am accounting for small storms as well as large storms in my way of doing things. Maybe I'm missing something with this clause??? Thanks in advance for your comments.
  2. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I don't know of anyone around here having a "blizzard clause" but I think I would liken it to an extreme winter weather event that the authorities declare an area closed due to safety concerns for the public. The definition varies from the west coast thru to the east, north to south and has a lot to do with normal conditions and the ability of the populous of an area to effectively deal with an event.
  3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

We use a blizzard clause in all of our per push contracts. It basically switches the account to an hourly billing rate for any storms over 8" in 24 hours, and extends deadlines to allow us more time to handle a heavy event.

Seasonal contract customers are pretty intollerant of blizzard clauses in terms of costs. They want a price for the season, regardless of how much falls at a time. We still use a blizzard clause of sorts to extend deadlines on seasonals to give us a little more of a buffer to get the work done on a heavy event.

We also have a clause specifically pertaining to shoveling that states that extreme conditions may delay service for safety reasons. Neither are "called" a blizzard clause in our agreements, but these are what people generally refer to as a blizzard clause.

All they really do is protect you from losing money on per-push accounts, and sets the customers expectations to a more reasonable level on a heavy event or in extreme conditions. Rarely is it needed, but it's an insurance policy of sorts...
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009