1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard clause

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by oldschoo, Nov 1, 2007.

1. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Do u guys have ways to increase the price incase it gets way above the normal snowfall accurances and or depths for your area? OR some kind of blizzard clause?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Blizzard clause is usually something like a rate for, say, 9" to 12"; then that rate plus so much an inch over 12". So, maybe 9" to 12" is $50 and anything over 12" is another $5 an inch. A 15" snowfall would be $65.

For seasonals, you usually put a cap on the snowfall per season, say 110". Then it's an additional, say, $5 an inch over 110". However, for me, I give one rate per season regardless of snowfall amount over the season or how many times I plow that site. But, my seasonal rates are more than it would be if I put a cap on it.

3. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Here is another thought- put in the blizzard clause that when snow over xx inches is predicted You will start plowing at 4 inches and repeat every 3-4 hrs until storm has lifted keeping the lot accessible at the same rate as the roads. (we use 24" you may want to use 12") That helps your ability to be able to plow with a truck and not need a loader till snowfall exceeds 3" per hour or so. And lets you bill for each visit.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The poster doesn't have a plow truck. He will be shoveling driveways. Doubt any blizzard contrtact will work. He is only planning on shoveling once the snow stops.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If he's shoveling only once when the snow stops and IF he wants a blizzard clause then the "per push" would still apply - "Blizzard clause is usually something like a rate for, say, 9" to 12"; then that rate plus so much an inch over 12". So, maybe 9" to 12" is $50 and anything over 12" is another $5 an inch. A 15" snowfall would be $65." Otherwise, he'll be charging the same for 15" as 4" - assuming Indina gets 15" of snow.

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

We only work by the hour over 12 inches. You just can't predict how much and how heavy that snow is going to be (here anyway).
    so, 2-4 is X, 4-8 is y, 8-12 is z and if it's over 12", it's this much per hour for a truck and this much per hour for a tractor.
    Nobody seems to blink on that.