1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

blizzard clause?????

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Top Dog, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Top Dog

Top Dog Member

I got a copy of a contract one of our competitors used on a new property we got this year and they had a blizzard clause in the contract where their rates double on any snow event that has 10" or more

anybody else have this ? I have been at this for awhile and have never seen this before but maybe I am missing out
  2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

We Plow per push. 10" just means me Plowing each lot 4-5 times.
  3. Top Dog

Top Dog Member

I understand but if you got 10" with their contract your rate would double
  4. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

that one is new to me ...i agree with 10 inches it is just 4-5 pushes...,is the contract per push or hourly..?
  5. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

If it is per event then yes the price should triple or quadruple with 10" total.
  6. paponte

paponte Senior Member

I have to see how we have ours worded exactly, but I do know we have a clause to the effect of... In extreme blizzard conditions where we are unable to respond to accumulations of 6" or more there may be an additional fee. Again, don't quote me on that I will take a look tomorrow. It's not for storm totals, but in the event you get dumped on fast.
  7. Top Dog

Top Dog Member

it is an hourly contract so the rate is 148.50 an hour if we get 10" or more in one storm thats 297!!
  8. paponte

paponte Senior Member

I have never heard of anything like that for hourly. An hour is an hour in my book, doesn't matter what your doing... your selling time.
  9. salopez

salopez Senior Member

wow who is doing that? and the more important question is are people buying it?
  10. Top Dog

Top Dog Member

could you imagine last year ????
    i know none of mine would buy it but I just thought maybe I am crazy for not doing it. I dont want to put the name out there
  11. DodgerFan

DodgerFan Senior Member

Just how I like it...:D
  12. DodgerFan

DodgerFan Senior Member

Just how I like it...
  13. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

10"? Thats considered a dusting here in Maine!.... LOL..... We get many 10+ events every winter. Per push is just that. Just make sure you've priced accordingly.
  14. salopez

salopez Senior Member

tg come on..PM it to me I just have to know....

I mean there are companies that are getting paid thousands to run a ranger around and see if a lot needs plow...i mean thousands...
  15. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

We do that.
    over 12" is straight hourly (and we're typically per push) for all machines/shovelers.

And before you guys come and whine that "you should push every two inches"

When we get a blizzard on the front range (about every 5 years), it snows 3 to 4 inches of wet heavy snow an hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it's usually blows 40 to 50 mph.
    You simply can't keep up.
    Heck, the roads close, you simply can't get to places.

If the route takes 6 to 8 hours (which seems typical for the industry) and it's snowing even 1 to 2" an hour, by the time you get back, you might have 12+ inches on the ground and 4' drifts. And in storms like that, you simply have make priority decisions. outlying properties that aren't going to get used (nobody is going to church in 3 feet of snow for example) are not going to get serviced for a day or so. last blizzard they didn't even have the roads open for 3 to 4 days. Clients actually appreciate you hitting it once, rather than trying to keep a property that has no traffic on it open for days. Their overall bill is lower. and higher priority places (resi's/apartments) are kept open.

Happens every couple years.
    no one has ever complained, it seems reasonable and the event rarely happens.
  16. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

I tack on $20.00 more per hour for P/U with plows during heavy snowfalls. Do any of you realize what kind of stress you are adding to a truck when you're normally pushing 1-2 inches per time. All of my commercials agree to it without a blink. They understand that it is a major snowstorm and we encounter enough overtime and wear and tear as it is.
  17. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

I guess I should add that the place that was new last year complained about the bill but I can't control that we ended up with a blizzard the first year they signed on. They re-signed for this season I will add. Went with per push and the higher hourly rate for blizzards as well. So obviously it matters to them that they know we can and will take care of them.

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

We used to plow for Niagara Mohawk the utility company in Upstate New York and they had a 16" clause in their contract. We had a seasonal number and in the event we got a storm over 16 inches we would charge them a one time charge of 5% of the total contract sum.
  19. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

I don't factor blizzards. It's either our standard hourly rate or our per event/trip (ie we come and plow = event/trip). Contracts are hourly and on demand is per event/trip (ie you call us to plow once).

Blizzard events/trips get paid before the plow is dropped. I had a few people not pay, so I went back and moved all the snow in front of their vehicles so they couldn't leave without shoveling. Got paid real quick then. Paypal works wonders. Have the iPhone app so I can be outside, call them, they send Paypal payment while I wait, it shows up on my phone, and I do my job. Love technology!

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

$148.50 is NORMAL RATE? That would already be more than double what we get, I need to move.