1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard clause help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CR128VT, Nov 13, 2012.

1. CR128VT

CR128VT Junior Member
    from Vermont

Would anyone be willing to give me some examples of a blizzard clause for a seasonal contract.? What amount of snowfall or accumulated hours do you use to classify a blizzard and how do you add in the additional charges? Do you just add in the additional visits and charge them per push? Would you please add in information on a blizzard clause to protect myself from liability from accidents in-between pushes

2. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

examples

For me I classify a blizzard as any storm 8 inches or more.

For a seasonal contract you have to know what your rough average snowfall fall is and a rough est of how many blizzards you might get.
    Go back about 10 years and see what the snowfall amount has been each year and how many blizzards you got each year.

Then for a seasonal rate you charge for a set amount say 40 inches of snow if that is your average for your area.

If you get say 2 blizzards a year, say 10 inches each, charge for 30 inches of snow for the seasonal and the blizzards by push.

For pushing that depends on your trigger, is it 2 inches, 3 inches, 4 inches whatever it is.

Base your push on the amount of snow and how many times your pushing. If it a 10 inch storm with a 2 inch trigger and you go there 5 times, charge for 5 pushes and give them a seperate bill for the blizzard.

As for liability from accidents in-between pushes, just make sure you get insurance.

Because a slip and fall can occur anytime even on a day where there is no storm and guess what, your the plow guy and you still can get sued for this.

Just make sure your contract says you only GO there during the storms to clear the roads, parking lots, sidewalks etc.. and you don't do maintenance 24 hours a day and if you do, Charge a lot more.

Hope this helps you a bit,

Have a great season

.ussmileyflag

3. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Here's mine. This is the first year using a new contract, however I have billed like this for years in the event of a blizzard. I dont know if it will help you for a seasonal, but it works fine per push

"3. Blizzard clause. In the event of extreme amounts of snow fall in a short period of time, After Hours Snowplowing reserves the right to charge additional visits to cover any additional cost incurred by longer plow times. The number of visits billed will not be more than the depth of snow removed divided by the clients normal trigger. Example: 8 inches of snow falls in 3 hours, Clients normal trigger is 2 inches, Client could be billed up to 4 visits for that blizzard (but most likely would be billed no more than 2 visits)"

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  4. CR128VT

CR128VT Junior Member
    from Vermont

Thank you for the help it has given me a much better idea on how to charge and word it in the contract. As far as my liability I have insurance I just didn't know if anyone rights in something more to protect themselves during a blizzard with more extreme conditions rather than your typical snow storm.