1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

blizzard, blazer and ballast ??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by itchyfishnv, Dec 3, 2007.

1. itchyfishnv

itchyfishnv Member

Just wondering what people use for ballast in SUV's? I'd rather not throw bags of sand in the event they rip making my trunk a beach. I have cargo tie downs, So I can tie some any solid objects down. Currently running a blizzard 720 straight blade. It weighs about 370 lbs. I have timbrens on the front, and it still sags pretty bad (not as bad as before). I've cranked up the torsions before but destroyed my front end costing me a lot of money to have it repaired so i'd rather not crank em again and go through the same thing.

2. Omaha Plowboy

Omaha Plowboy Member

I plow in a 89 K5 Blazer with a Sno-Way. Being a lite weight plow the front end isn't as stressed at our other trucks with the steel plows.

3. tmgcboiler

tmgcboiler Junior Member

Try using some old tractor weights in the back.

4. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

any truck pushing needs ballast to push effectively. there is a big difference.

5. itchyfishnv

itchyfishnv Member

well getting rid of my plow and getting a poly is out of the question.. so since sand bags are big commodities around here since the first ice storm, I ended up just getting a plastic tote box and 4-80lb bags of cement and putting them in the trunk. works great. raises the front about 2 inches.