1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blizzard At Western

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by MBB, Jul 30, 2006.

1. MBB

MBB Senior Member

Earlier this week, at the Western mfg plant down the block a pair of blizzard plows showed up and a new pickup (.5 ton ) labeled with the Blizzard logo are parked in the lot. Yes I know Westerns parent co. bought Blizzard. the plows dissapear during the day. This is In Milwaukee, WI. This Plant makes straight plows at least that is all we have been shown on the tours in Sept. although everything in the line is stacked up on their lot. Can not buy parts there ( except at the annual show and tell, still through a dealer) have to go thru a dealer. Figures, 15 miles or more to a dealer western , 30 to a blizzard. Just thought it was a tid bit of news.

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

They make the vee plows at the Fisher plant in Maine for both Fisher and Western. I have heard from my contact up there that they have been going over a couple of Blizzards there for a couple months. Likely you will see some cross engineering for 2007-2008 models.

No comment on what may happen to the Blizzard line.

3. ram1500

ram1500 Member
    from ma

The Blizzard line is in full production as a third company. There have been steps made to assure that blizzard will be around for a long time. DD will be intergrading the factories to supply dealers at a faster rate with parts and plows on the east coast from the Fisher plant in Rockland Me.

4. Budsoda

Budsoda Junior Member

I think what we will see in 07 or 08 is that Fisher and Western will offer a power plow like the blizzards. and then I look for Fisher and Western to do away with there v-plows... I also think one day all v-plows will be a thing of the past...

5. ChipsEarthWorks

ChipsEarthWorks Senior Member
    from CT

Okay I do not mean to be a dick but seriously why do you see V plows becoming a "THING OF THE PAST" ? There is still stuff that a V blade can do that a straight blade can not. So to say they will be a thing of the past is pushing it a little to far. But I do hope they cross ideas i think it will only benifit us the people who use these plows.(MAYBE A Stainless steel POWER PLOW).

6. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

810 to V

This may be stupid... but could they possibly make an 810 / 8611 go into a v-plow position. This would give us the best of both worlds. Just a thought.

7. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

HELLO! I've been wishing for that for years! I'd buy it in a second!

8. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Not sure how a V Power Plow would help. I do remember when I was running a MVP that I would always be adjust the blade to be Str8. The full on solid moldboard of a Power Plow is what added to ir containment ability. Not sure the Angle Cyclinders would hold while trying to contain 3-4 yards of wet snow with the wings out in bucket mode.

Although it sounds like a great idea not sure what make the Power Plow great can be bastardized to the point that it would still work the same. Again V plows are great for moving SMALL amounts of snow in a SMALL lot and NO plow stacks better. If you are plow large lots and see heavy snowfalls a Power Plow can not be matched in production.

All this comming from a person owning both MVP and Blizzards at the same time.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Like was stated, they are going to run it as a separate line just like Fisher and Western are separate.

Regarding the v-plows being obsolete, the same thing was said about straight blades when the v-plows came out a little over 15 years ago.

10. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Yup. :)

11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

as of now the blizzard line in manf. in tennesee

12. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I understand there will be some major reworking of the line in the near future. Primary goal is to lighten up the thing. Good idea! :nod:

13. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Must be why the prices went up $1000 since last year....rofl :dizzy:

14. Mark Oomkes

I hope not, I like heavy plows, they scrape better, don't ride up over piles. Just like here is no substitute for displacement when it comes around to HP, no substitute for weight when it comes around to plows.

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sure there is, Down Pressure, and direct link hydraulics. Much easier on the truck then carrying a battleship on the end of a chain.

16. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

The plows are too heavy. They exceed the weight rating of most front axles. They can easily be lightened up w/o sacrificing strength. Now that DD owns them, hopefully we'll see some meaningful R&D.

17. BDB

BDB Senior Member

Down pressure on a Blizzard....now were talkin!:nod: That battleship doesn't come with a chain. So it must be a destroyerwesport . But you are right if your saying a red one is a battleship(carried by a chain). I don't mind going into battle with either one.

18. Mark Oomkes

Down Pressure is already available on Blizzards, just have to have the right dealer.

If they exceed the weight rating on most but not all, then you don't have the correct truck for the plow, you need to buy the right truck for the plow, if not, then it isn't Blizzard's problem. I bought 550's knowing I was going to install 8611's on them, neither is over weight. I buy 350's because I want the heaviest SRW pickup I can buy. That's the same I reason I have 550's not 450's. The same thing has already happened with the trucks we use for work. The mfg's lightened them up for all the people that need to have a pickup to get groceries and then those of us who really need a truck to make a living, have to live with lighter weight parts that aren't as reliable and don't have as long a life span because they lightened them up for the grocery getters. Don't lighten plows up so they can fit on more trucks, either buy the right truck for the job or get a smaller plow.

Regarding FAWR, I'm not to worried, according to the Power Match on Blizzard's site, I'm supposed to have something like a 760 LT on my 350. I have an 8611 LP.

19. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Blizzard 810's are advertised for 3/4 tons and they exceed the front axel weight of some. Blizzard was not in a position to do the R&D on the new Chevy's and Fords which is/will be substantial. The buyout came at a good time.

20. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Well I have to side with Mark in the issue of "Right TRUCK for the right JOB". I too ONLY run F-350's. Even with the PSD the 6,000LBS FAWR carries the 810 just right.

I am really seeing lots of guys all of a sudden taking on a new look at Blizzard, (you know the plow I am talking about... the one with all the moving parts) JUST because DD has aquired the line. Tooling all the plow so they can use the same parts in different package is not R&D. It is lowering the cost for the MFG no matter how if impacts the end user.

Do not get me wrong, I would love to see a Ultra mount with left and right elevation movement and I am ALL FOR a TRIP EDGE on the center moldboard, BUT NO WAY do I want to see them squezze on the on size fits all solinoid so I have to go back to carring one in each truck.

Not sure how DOWN PRESSURE (SNO-WAY) is BETTER for the truck. Are you telling us that HYD, PRESSURE to force the blade down using the entire weight of the TRUCK is better than just have a plow that is 150-200LBS heavier??? I do not think that holds water.....

I am very happy with the prodction rates I see out of all the Blizzards I own. I like the way the scrape down to pavement AND how durable they are. When I owned a MVP I was doing all kinds of mods to avoid damage to the blade.

I am glad I own PRE DD Blizzard plows. It is going to be like owning Pre-Banned High Capacity Mag's. They will be worth serious $$$ after DD whores them down to nothing.